Any of you guys actually work in the music industry?

Please don't say "I rap" or "make beats". I'm talking about dudes that are actually doing this as a career (A&Rs, Managers,Publishers, Songwriters, Live performers, lawyers)

Originally Posted by iHateTimeDotCom

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

illphillip is...
Didn't dude have something to do with Illmatic or Reasonable Doubt?
i used to think illionaire was in the industry then i found out he's just a blogger
laugh.gif
(no shots)... he is pretty cool as long as u dont debate music with him
roll.gif

*Delonte West's shotgun has been pulled out of the guitar case*

Originally Posted by The Fresh King

illphillip is...
i used to think illionaire was in the industry then i found out he's just a blogger
laugh.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by The Fresh King

illphillip is...
laugh.gif
roll.gif

eek.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Nah I was just wondering because I'm a sophomore in college right now studying Music Industry. I like college and all but its so often I see ppl doing itat such a young age without school. My cousin just graduated with a music industry degree, an internship at MTV and still can't get a job. I just somewanted some advice from those on the business side of things.
Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

What do you wanna know?

I read you're blog sometimes, good stuff. What exactly do you do?

Seriously....the business is about who you know sometimes. School helps but I know people doing digital marketing, etc @ labels without a degree. I also knowsomeone with a degree in Social Work (or w/e it is) doing A&R...so it's a toss up...

Me personally, I co-own my lifestyle marketing/promotion company Imperial Marketing Group (redoing website but look us up) and I do guerilla/online andstrategic marketing for Cornerstone's Farm Team. Simply put, my checks dont come from just one place. Its a hustle...I sometimes want a steady check buti've never really been in a down and out position...I like my freedom but things have a way of working themselves out.

I dunno if anyone's interested but I did a blog post earlier this morning about the business and how I feel about artists getting cosigns...check it out.

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

Seriously....the business is about who you know sometimes. School helps but I know people doing digital marketing, etc @ labels without a degree. I also know someone with a degree in Social Work (or w/e it is) doing A&R...so it's a toss up...

Me personally, I co-own my lifestyle marketing/promotion company Imperial Marketing Group (redoing website but look us up) and I do guerilla/online and strategic marketing for Cornerstone's Farm Team. Simply put, my checks dont come from just one place. Its a hustle...I sometimes want a steady check but i've never really been in a down and out position...I like my freedom but things have a way of working themselves out.

I dunno if anyone's interested but I did a blog post earlier this morning about the business and how I feel about artists getting cosigns...check it out.

Alright cool man, I appreciate it. Right now I'm just making my connections. I'm doing a couple of college radio shows because I DJ, and did some"intern" work for Duck Down.

Honestly a music industry degree comes with no guarantee. You can get a job in the industry with a degree in Finance, Psychology or Soci Work just as you canget the job with a GED. Networking is everything. You meet the right people and they'll get your foot in the door.

I always say get a degree in something you can fall back on. Like cops or Government Agents get degrees in Criminal Justice and then when they retire they fallback on doing security or becoming bouncers. Every business works with computers and $$. Get your foot in the door then show them what you can do.

yea i wanna know about illphilip. duke hates me is or always mad about somethin i say.

and yall silly "just a blogger" LOL
whats he blog? Nahright?

Originally Posted by Uncle Ice

I always say get a degree in something you can fall back on. Like cops or Government Agents get degrees in Criminal Justice and then when they retire they fall back on doing security or becoming bouncers. Every business works with computers and $$. Get your foot in the door then show them what you can do.
LOL what?

I work in copyright for Sony Music...it's mostly on the publishing side. Anyone looking for info or got somethin going on lemme know. I have amarketing/promo background as well.

find a school with a good music business program, doesnt have to be the greatest. be really dedicated and passionate, do things out of the normal/off hours/goto shows. anything...just show you're into it and when you apply for jobs and stuff people will notice. MEET PEOPLE! im always looking to get in contactwith people and network.

Originally Posted by IncredibleEv

I work in copyright for Sony Music...it's mostly on the publishing side. Anyone looking for info or got somethin going on lemme know. I have a marketing/promo background as well.

find a school with a good music business program, doesnt have to be the greatest. be really dedicated and passionate, do things out of the normal/off hours/go to shows. anything...just show you're into it and when you apply for jobs and stuff people will notice. MEET PEOPLE! im always looking to get in contact with people and network.

Thanks man, I'm studying Music Industry at the university of New Haven, it's alright. I'm think about transferring to syracuse. What do you mean"looking for info" I'm trying learn as much as I can so if you got any work let me know.

Back
Top Bottom