Any older NikeTalk members? Does anybody remember the 2001 Jordan XI thread when the word 'Bred' was

I know the term "Bred" was started on NT, and I'm almost sure it was started in the thread for the Black/Red Jordan 11s in 2001, but I have no proof. I can't find the thread anywhere in the Archives or on the internet. I'm trying to explain it to people and they think I'm crazy

I remember somebody typed 'Bred' as a joke and pretty much everybody who replied in the thread HATED the term. Am I the only one who remembers this? It turned into a huge debate like that Stickie213 thread.

http://niketalk.com/t/307984/so-i-met-stickie213-the-other-day/0_50

Last edited:
yup I remember that term being used used on here first. I can't remember the guy that used it but every time he used it we would post a pic of actual bread.
That word got on so many people's nerve. Hell, it still gets on my nerves.
I think he started using that word cause he was to lazy to type out black/red :lol:...Like how people are too lazy to type out nike.com instead use NDC

It wasn't actually used for the Blk/red 11's. It came much later, maybe when the 13's were being retro'ed in 04 or so. It was frowned upon at first but I guess it was accepted after so many people started using it. I thought it was pretty clever but yea, this term didn't exist until the mid 2000's.

na, I remember it being used for the retro Jordan 11 black/red first. I lived and died in that Jordan XI forum back then and know for a fact it was used in there.

That was the first time I've seen such a word and didn't know what that term meant at the time, so the homie funkdoctor explained it to me.

Last edited:
I know the term "Bred" was started on NT, and I'm almost sure it was started in the thread for the Black/Red Jordan 11s in 2001, but I have no proof. I can't find the thread anywhere in the Archives or on the internet. I'm trying to explain it to people and they think I'm crazy

I remember somebody typed 'Bred' as a joke and pretty much everybody who replied in the thread HATED the term. Am I the only one who remembers this? It turned into a huge debate like that Stickie213 thread.

http://niketalk.com/t/307984/so-i-met-stickie213-the-other-day/0_50
I definitely remember that release, as it was one of the first threads I heavily participated in back when I first started on NT.

I'm not sure it was THAT particular Thread, bc I remember it kind of starting off as kind of a Joke in another thread maybe around 2002/03, in one of those "Best AJ of All-Time" debates.

I mean, back then we always just called everything by their Color... the Title of the thread was something like: "Air Jordan XI Retro - Black & Red - December 22nd, 2001"

There were only a short few of AJ's that actually had nicknames. Even this non-sense with the XII's being called "Flu Games"... we always credited the Game for making the shoe iconic, but during its first Retro release... Nobody called it the "Flu Games"... it was simply "Black & Red XII"

But YES, "BRED" and many other Horrible Nicknames Unfortunately started here in the OG Niketalk Forum.
mean.gif

Last edited:
If I can remember correctly, overall the term was frowned upon until circa 2008. I remember most members clowning people for saying that (and rightfully so) up until that time. I for one hate that term as people really cant take the extra 2 seconds (if that) to type out black and red or black/red. The nicknames are also out of control; not every Jordan needs a moniker. Sure "carmines" and "Bordeaux" are acceptable as they are OG colorways that were outside the box. Even various "playoff" pairs are acceptable as they were shoes the man himself wore during the playoffs. As a matter of fact, most nicknames that just state one color (french blues, obsidians, indiglos, ect... are acceptable as they are naming the prominent or featured color of the shoe. There is no need for
atrocities such as: breds, candy canes, cherries, Independence Days, bugs bunnies, or raptors.

Can't vouch for that thread specifically, but NT was the first place I saw it. Black and red XI's were the first pair I ever got of real Jordans in 2001 and NT was the reason I got them. Late 2001/early 2002 was definitely the first time I heard of the term Bred though.

Last edited:
Can never ever ever ever ever bring myself to use that term ... I remember that thread you speak of (used to check it before I joined officially). That was the thread where we thought the shoes were gonna have clear soles for a moment, until 2 weeks before that actual release (a la Warren Sapp style XI), right?

I absolutely despise the term, "Bred!" I refuse to call any JB product that is Blk/Red by this term. I can't even look at real bread the same anymore...because I hate the word "BRED" referencing Jordan!

:lol: I remember it being used for the black & red XIII that were released around Christmas 2004. I hate the term. It's so lazy. It was a joke at first and then to see it re-surge on merchandise was like :x

View media item 1581493
:x :x :x :x :x :x

Last edited:
I had that attitude but recently gave in and started saying "bred". It's just easier, LOL.

Air Rattle Ndestrukt:
Stay strong my friend...it's easier, true. But sounds ridiculous.

And for The "Raptors" nickname I agree, hate it! I don't like the wht/blk 13's being called "He got game's," but there are worse.....The list could go on and on....

No..I remember owning a pair in 7th grade around 1996 and they were always called Breds

Air Rattle Ndestrukt:
Stay strong my friend...it's easier, true. But sounds ridiculous.

I agree, it does sound ridiculous. And what made me feel even sillier about it is that I used it the other day in the thread about the 13 lows that just came out last week, where people are calling them "breds" and they aren't even a true "black/red" colorway. So OK, I'll stop the madness, LOL.

Last edited:
Yea I definitely remember people using it as a joke... I understand it when you're typing, but when people are talking about it and they say BRED instead of the 2 extra syllables, I cringe.

yup I remember that term being used used on here first. I can't remember the guy that used it but every time he used it we would post a pic of actual bread.
That word got on so many people's nerve. Hell, it still gets on my nerves.
I think he started using that word cause he was to lazy to type out black/red :lol:...Like how people are too lazy to type out nike.com instead use NDC

This really brings back memories. I remember as a younging going on NT and reading the thread and seeing people post pictures of bread. It's funny because I always wanted to join back in the day but it had a strict sign up policy like you had to wait 3 months or some crap. Takes me back.

I like to call the black/royal 1s as "Broyals" just to rustle jimmies. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom