any physical therapists on NT? vol. im back..like the spine

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ReeceMan10

Originally Posted by RawSheed

You wanna look into science classes like anatomy, physiology, biology, etc
I am an Occupational Therapist, therefore pretty similar to PT. The above is correct, but you will also need Kinesiology, and Neuro-Physiology andNeuro-Anatomy. Good luck, PT is a great field to go into especially with the aging Babyboomer population.

Originally Posted by I am Furby

I am an Occupational Therapist, therefore pretty similar to PT. The above is correct, but you will also need Kinesiology, and Neuro-Physiology and Neuro-Anatomy. Good luck, PT is a great field to go into especially with the aging Babyboomer population.

which is the main reason why i wanted to get into that field..i know i will always be wanted/needed with a PT certification..school me on the majordifference between an occupational therapist and a PT though

Originally Posted by Mayor of NYC

Originally Posted by I am Furby

I am an Occupational Therapist, therefore pretty similar to PT. The above is correct, but you will also need Kinesiology, and Neuro-Physiology and Neuro-Anatomy. Good luck, PT is a great field to go into especially with the aging Babyboomer population.

which is the main reason why i wanted to get into that field..i know i will always be wanted/needed with a PT certification..school me on the major difference between an occupational therapist and a PT though
Well, first of all OT is more of a humanistic approach to therapy while PT more strongly follows the medical model. OT's study Anatomy, Physio,Kinese, Neuro and the like...which is very similar to PT. However, there is a MUCH larger concentration on the person and not just the dysfunction. OT'slearn a lot about psycholog, as well as conditions such as Aspergers, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Alzheimers, Lou Gehrig's Disease, and many many more, as inpractice you are highly likely to be treating clients/patients with the forementioned conditions. There are 3 main fields for Occupational Therapists, and theyare Pediatrics, Phychosocial, and Physical Dysfunction/Rehab (most similar to PT). In Peds you would be most likely in a classroom setting or a private clinichelping learning disabled children how to read, write and communicatewhile using a myriad of intervention tecniques. In the area of Psych you would be workingin in/outpatient acute, sub-acute, and transitional mental healthcare facilities working with clients/patients in the areas of what are called ADLs oractivities of daily living. These are an essential ingrediant to daily life that some of your clients have never developed or have had maladaptive learningpatterns which have stymied their ability to function in society. In Phys Dys/Rehab you would be working closely with doctors, nurses, CNAs, and PTs in placeslike SNiFs or Skilled Nursing Facilities (where I currently work), this population are most often elderly or senior adults who have been hospitalized andstabilized, and you would be helping with general physical rehab. Your duty would be very similar in this area of practice t o PTs, although PTs primarillydeal with the lower body and OTs with the upper body. Much of your patients would have had TBIs (traumatic brain injuries), TIAs (transient eschemic attack/stroke), Ortho related injuries (shoulder and hip replacements). This area is of the highest need, and currently pays about $40 per hour for new grads. An OTprogram is usually a 3 year program for those who have met the entrance requirements such as physio, anatomy, chem, etc. You get a Bachelors in Health Scienceafter 2 years (typical 4 year plan), and you get your Masters in Occupational Therapy after the 5th year. All graduates after 2007 are legaly mandated to havea Masters to practice in the U.S. There are many avenues in which to branch out from the traditional 3 fields of OT, and so you will ALWAYS be in demand. Acolleague of mine got advanced certification in Ergonomics and in now the worldwide ergo consultant for Trader Joe's and makes several hundred thousanddollars per year. Sorry about the long version, but that is it in a nutshell. Oh and like 95% of OTs are female, so you will have your pick of the litter in OTschool.

right now I'm majoring in psych while taking science classes for PT

Mayor Of NYC, since you live in NY ...I suggest you look into taking classes to get into the PT program at Long Island University (Brooklyn Campus). You justneed 1 semester of Biology, 2 semesters of General Chemistry, 2 semesters of Physics
sick.gif
, 2 semesters of Anatomy and Physiology. with at least 3.0 and above in those classes and you need a certain score on the MCAT ( I forgot what thatwas, look in the website). Also you need 36 hours of volunteering/interning at three different PT settings (12 hours for each one.)

Mayor, if you are really serious about it, PM me. I'm in my first year Doctorate to become a Physical Therapist at Florida International University.

Back
Top Bottom