Any Pre-med students, med students or residents on Niketalk that got useful advice for your NT breth

Any tips for MCATs bruhs?

About to start my studying tomorrow. I still don't know if I'm mentally ready but I have to take it in August to have a chance for the 2017 cycle, so no choice but to start.

Last edited:

About to start my studying tomorrow. I still don't know if I'm mentally ready but I have to take it in August to have a chance for the 2017 cycle, so no choice but to start.
Are you applying to MD or DO or both? August is kind of late for MD for this cycle, unless you have stellar stats. It's worth a shot though. For DO the August exam is fine. When in August are you taking it? 2 months of studying is kind of light, especially with how much more stuff they've added to the new exam, but it honestly varies from person to person.

Tips, focus on doing problems more so than just reading content. The AAMC material that you buy off their website is a must. Save it for when you finish all outside material though (~1 month away from your exam probably). 

Last edited:

I took the old one and scored pretty well, don't know anything about the new test tbh.

August should be fine if you don't have other major responsibilities going on, IMO. Really for each person it depends on how much content they have to learn.

What worked for me:

- Don't burn out, leave some time to enjoy life. It'll make studying more efficient as well.
- The amount of content is a lot more intimidating at the start, as you get more comfortable you'll start compartmentalizing things mentally.
- Go back to topics you reviewed regularly to stay fresh. I liked to go back to sections I had studied a week or two prior and take prac Qs.
- Practice Tests>>>content review leading up to the test. Take as many as you can and spend the next day reviewing with a fresh mind, including the answers you got right.
- The bio section of the later AAMC tests was MUCH more similar to the test I took, I think many people felt this way.

I always timed well on the practice tests but was way too meticulous checking my math on physical sciences section of the real thing and it hurt me at the end. Try not to do that :lol:

Last edited:
appreciate the quick responses

I'll be applying for DO. My sights are set on the August 25th date.

I won't have any other responsibilities until then. I also had plenty of time after the semester ended to kind of unwind from finals, went on a vacation for a wedding, which helped to kind of get me over the leisure period and now after some down time I'm ready to get back to work.

My main study partner has been doing a 56 day program with Exam Krackers. He's been studying from about 11-8 everyday to keep pace with it and strongly suggests I do the same. I really wanted to do a 90+ day program for 6 hours a day, but unfortunately I'll have to cram with this.

Last edited:
appreciate the quick responses

I'll be applying for DO. My sights are set on the August 25th date.

I won't have any other responsibilities until then. I also had plenty of time after the semester ended to kind of unwind from finals, went on a vacation for a wedding, which helped to kind of get me over the leisure period and now after some down time I'm ready to get back to work.

My main study partner has been doing a 56 day program with Exam Krackers. He's been studying from about 11-8 everyday to keep pace with it and strongly suggests I do the same. I really wanted to do a 90+ day program for 6 hours a day, but unfortunately I'll have to cram with this.

Sounds good. I don't want to break your spirit or anything, but you probably shouldn't apply to MD this cycle if you take it that late. If you're only applying to DO you'll be fine since their cycle is longer.

Also if you don't feel like you are ready don't take it. Taking a gap year and working isn't the worst thing. It actually can help your application. Take it only when you're finished and feel confident. A good portion of doing well on that test is confidence. Seriously this is probably the best advice I can give. It's just advice that a lot of us don't want to listen to because we want to get the process over with ASAP. If you aren't ready move the exam, or if you are able to throw away some cash, take the exam and void it and register for a date where you will be ready. It's better to do well the first time and not have your confidence shot doing bad the first time.

Last edited:
Decided on pushing my MCAT to January instead of taking it in September. I was distracted way too often with family things to study as intensely as I wanted and needed to, and the DO school I'm really trying to get into said it wouldn't have any impact on getting in for 2017 even if I got my MCAT score in that late.

I'm now wondering if there's such thing as studying too much for this test. I always wanted to treat the MCAT as one massive cram. But now it'll be a slower process of just getting my notes together, taking many more practice tests, and being able to correct and go over things I did wrong from practice tests. Which will hopefully serve to reinforce things I need to work on.

Last edited:
Decided on pushing my MCAT to January instead of taking it in September. I was distracted way too often with family things to study as intensely as I wanted and needed to, and the DO school I'm really trying to get into said it wouldn't have any impact on getting in for 2017 even if I got my MCAT score in that late.

I'm now wondering if there's such thing as studying too much for this test. I always wanted to treat the MCAT as one massive cram. But now it'll be a slower process of just getting my notes together, taking many more practice tests, and being able to correct and go over things I did wrong from practice tests. Which will hopefully serve to reinforce things I need to work on.

I took the DAT and I ran into the issue of studying for it for to long. Things that I studied at the beginning were almost forgotten as the time for my test approached. I went through glycolysis, Krebs cycle, electron transport chain so many times because I would forget connecting pieces and in the long run I wasted time. I would suggest condensing your study time and not necessarily cramming but studying smarter. For example, the bio section of the DAT had 40 questions. I knew that studying about taxonomy and plants shouldn't be a priority because there was a higher probability of having genetics, anatomy, cell bio related questions on the exam. Also, student Doctor network forum was very helpful to me. Good luck.

Y'all ain't no truck drivers tho
@:p[emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

Last edited:
I scored well enough on my MCAT that I'm looking to apply to an MD program for 2018. I have time to volunteer now (taking one class this semester before I graduate.)

Was wondering if you guys have recommendations to maybe do something else in the meantime too. I'll also begin shadowing a doctor in 2 weeks and I'm positive I'll be able to shadow one more.

Have any of you had good experiences with volunteering? Any suggestions on maximizing what you get out of the experience. Seems like meaningless grunt work for the sole purpose of bolstering an application, but I hope there's more to it.

Back
Top Bottom