Any Teachers On NT? Vol:School Me

It's more of a calling for me than a career...posting for later, great points made in here. 
smile.gif

Originally Posted by south sole

It's more of a calling for me than a career...posting for later, great points made in here. 
smile.gif

This.
As I'm finding out, teaching is a different strokes for different folks kinda thing.  I will say, though, that the most successful teachers (from what I've seen) are those who have worked with kids in some capacity before (coaching, camp counseling, etc.).  Those that enjoy being around kids and can relate are usually fairly successful too.  Though certainly not a pre-requisite, these two things go a long way.  I disagree with the whole "smart people make good teachers" mentality.... it's usually the drones who simply talk at their classes that struggle the most (obviously).  A quote that has always stuck with me: teaching is 25% planning and 75% acting-- a lot of planning goes in to teaching, but most of your job is responding to students (needs, understanding/misunderstanding, etc. etc.).  The better you do that, the easier your job is.  The better the culture of your classroom is--and like a lot of people have said emphasizing the importance of learning, establishing relationships, etc..... the more your kids will learn.

Anyway, I just finished my 2 year commitment with Teach For America.  For those who don't know, TFA hires individuals interested in becoming teachers in low-performing and under-served schools (both rural and urban) in districts from hawaii to NY all across the U.S.  You begin your commitment with a 5-week training program, and begin teaching in the following Fall.  Teach for America provides ongoing professional development and essentially pays for you to get a Masters in Education.  I taught Special Education English for 9th grade in a charter school in DC making 42.  Also coached girl's basketball/softball.... coaching
pimp.gif

Just moved back to Philly to continue teaching this year.  Salary jumped to 50, and I'll be teaching at a school in the big picture network  (www.bigpicture.org).  School takes a different approach to teaching/learning--students have Internships two days a week (all day), and the rest of the week is about equipping students with knowledge and skills to help them in their internship.  As an "advisor" (teacher), I stick with my group of 10-15 students for all 4 years (ideally) to see them through their high school career.  It's not a vocational school..... and they're doing big things with a 98% college acceptance rate at this point.  Check em out.

I couldn't imagine doing anything else.  I love working with youth and teaching provides me with that opportunity.  For real though, you have a whole lot of potential influence as a teacher-- you can really single-handedly provide guidance and inspiration to kids who might not otherwise be inspired to do much of anything.  Teachers aren't saviors, but you hold a lot of responsibility.  Planning to stay teaching for some time--starting my PhD in Urban Ed. in the Fall... and want to get involved in bringing the Harlem Childrens Zone model to Camden.

Any questions, hit me up.

Originally Posted by south sole

smile.gif

This.
As I'm finding out, teaching is a different strokes for different folks kinda thing.  I will say, though, that the most successful teachers (from what I've seen) are those who have worked with kids in some capacity before (coaching, camp counseling, etc.).  Those that enjoy being around kids and can relate are usually fairly successful too.  Though certainly not a pre-requisite, these two things go a long way.  I disagree with the whole "smart people make good teachers" mentality.... it's usually the drones who simply talk at their classes that struggle the most (obviously).  A quote that has always stuck with me: teaching is 25% planning and 75% acting-- a lot of planning goes in to teaching, but most of your job is responding to students (needs, understanding/misunderstanding, etc. etc.).  The better you do that, the easier your job is.  The better the culture of your classroom is--and like a lot of people have said emphasizing the importance of learning, establishing relationships, etc..... the more your kids will learn.

Anyway, I just finished my 2 year commitment with Teach For America.  For those who don't know, TFA hires individuals interested in becoming teachers in low-performing and under-served schools (both rural and urban) in districts from hawaii to NY all across the U.S.  You begin your commitment with a 5-week training program, and begin teaching in the following Fall.  Teach for America provides ongoing professional development and essentially pays for you to get a Masters in Education.  I taught Special Education English for 9th grade in a charter school in DC making 42.  Also coached girl's basketball/softball.... coaching
pimp.gif

Just moved back to Philly to continue teaching this year.  Salary jumped to 50, and I'll be teaching at a school in the big picture network  (www.bigpicture.org).  School takes a different approach to teaching/learning--students have Internships two days a week (all day), and the rest of the week is about equipping students with knowledge and skills to help them in their internship.  As an "advisor" (teacher), I stick with my group of 10-15 students for all 4 years (ideally) to see them through their high school career.  It's not a vocational school..... and they're doing big things with a 98% college acceptance rate at this point.  Check em out.

I couldn't imagine doing anything else.  I love working with youth and teaching provides me with that opportunity.  For real though, you have a whole lot of potential influence as a teacher-- you can really single-handedly provide guidance and inspiration to kids who might not otherwise be inspired to do much of anything.  Teachers aren't saviors, but you hold a lot of responsibility.  Planning to stay teaching for some time--starting my PhD in Urban Ed. in the Fall... and want to get involved in bringing the Harlem Childrens Zone model to Camden.

Any questions, hit me up.

My boy is a middle school teacher in Richmond, VA.  He loves his job, been doing it for years.  He says that just the fact that he is a young black man makes him even more marketable.  He taught at a HS for 1 year (the worst HS in that area) and got threats from students all the time though.  He doesnt take any mess though, he wished one of them would put his hands on him.  It happened a few times, and the students were put in their place with the quickness.

My boy is a middle school teacher in Richmond, VA.  He loves his job, been doing it for years.  He says that just the fact that he is a young black man makes him even more marketable.  He taught at a HS for 1 year (the worst HS in that area) and got threats from students all the time though.  He doesnt take any mess though, he wished one of them would put his hands on him.  It happened a few times, and the students were put in their place with the quickness.

This is my first year working in an Elementary school with pre-k children with learning disabilities. My wife is a 1st grade teacher in the same district (low-income). I come from a business background and went through an alternative program. I was lucky enough to take a few upper education classes my senior yr in college and I really enjoyed them. However I couldnt change my major since I only had a semester left so I just finished with a bus degree. I am young guy that comes from an athletic background so whenever I tell people Im going to teach, they all assume Im going to coach.

From my experience so far the kids are funny and of course some are bad. Just remember what you did when you were younger. Being a male in an elementary school def helps imo because not a lot of kids have male figures in their life. I volunteered this summer at a school and after the first day all the kids wanted me to come back the rest of the time. It made me feel good
laugh.gif

I plan on teaching for 4 years get masters and go into administration, hopefully a counselor or even an AD.

This is my first year working in an Elementary school with pre-k children with learning disabilities. My wife is a 1st grade teacher in the same district (low-income). I come from a business background and went through an alternative program. I was lucky enough to take a few upper education classes my senior yr in college and I really enjoyed them. However I couldnt change my major since I only had a semester left so I just finished with a bus degree. I am young guy that comes from an athletic background so whenever I tell people Im going to teach, they all assume Im going to coach.

From my experience so far the kids are funny and of course some are bad. Just remember what you did when you were younger. Being a male in an elementary school def helps imo because not a lot of kids have male figures in their life. I volunteered this summer at a school and after the first day all the kids wanted me to come back the rest of the time. It made me feel good
laugh.gif

I plan on teaching for 4 years get masters and go into administration, hopefully a counselor or even an AD.

i work with an elementary school program (1st-5th grade)

all i'm going to say is i truly appreciate you guys.

mad hard working with younger kids with unstable households

i work with an elementary school program (1st-5th grade)

all i'm going to say is i truly appreciate you guys.

mad hard working with younger kids with unstable households

Dang, it sounds like it's almost dangerous to teach in a high school like that? I can't imagine how I would try to balance discipline/joking around.

Do you get to have fun with the kids or do you have to stay stern most of the time?

Dang, it sounds like it's almost dangerous to teach in a high school like that? I can't imagine how I would try to balance discipline/joking around.

Do you get to have fun with the kids or do you have to stay stern most of the time?

I'm not one that willquickly jump on the prestige path if ever granted the opportunity to do so...Ifanything I'll be a lucky man to be given the opportunity to work with childrenwith electrifying potential and to think that a person like myselfwill be able interject in their most pivotal moments and act as a conductor andsurge a current of electric thinkers that would one day provide the futurewith continuous innovations and ideas. (Just finish watching Great Debaters &Dead Poets Society, immensely moved)

"Education is notthe filling a bucket but the lighting of the fire."

[font=Arial, sans-serif]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]
One issue I do hold isthe decrepit public school systems in many inner cities is not producing the necessary results. Even in Dead Poets Society, the Professor was forcedto succumb to the school authorities, and extract the passion and marrow out ofhis class in favor of consistent, predictable and conventional outcomes.

I believe thatmany Public systems are not teaching the students the joy of learning. Thepublic education system we have now for children is mainly concernedwith rote learning, the ability to memorize phrases, concepts and test takingstrategies that only serve the politicians in the end. Thinking is neitherrequired or expected, if anything standardize testing has really damage ourkids. In my community where many have received inferior education and have notmet the proper accreditation to advance or evenbe admitted to a good college.  From what I've notice thebiggest issue is literacy, promoting the power of words and proper guidancethis kids would be able to maximize their own potential. 

Education is a system -it has many components, including districts, administrators, for a start,I'm encouraging people to start with looking up the names of each one andmembers of the board of education. It is important for us to know who is incharge of imposing unfitting curriculum on the children. One example in Texas,republicans dominate therefore they get their way most of the time while we aretoo busy being disengage with the voting process. Recently the Texas Board ofEducation has stamped their conservative views on subjects such as History,Economics and Social Studies. If we can make it possible to storm the officesof these public officials in we could turn education on its head, shake itvigorously, & get some things done. I only speak of first hand observations not sure if this is a widespread notion amongst educators. Teachers are to be held accountable as well, in my personal experiences I was forced to remember my alphabets in first grade without ever given a reason as to why I need to do so. Instead of taking the time to add any level of emphasis as to why it is that I need to know my ABC's maybe I've would taken much more interest in doing so. (as an example)  We are in need of passionate teachers with relentless dedication to serve the kids. Too many students learn neither an intellectual process nor a knowledge base, nor acquire habits of study at least in my personal experiences. 

nerd.gif
  WHATS REALLY GOING ON? Who SHE BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE? 

[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]

[/font]

Here is a letter I found online from a Dean:

[/font]
[font='lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

[h1]An Open Letter to my Students[/h1]

Dear Students,

Because of institutional requirements and societal norms, I’m required to give you a grade. This grade falls between 0-100 and in some way is intended to inform you and others how well you did in this course. The importance that number is given is appalling. While I do my best to provide you with some outcomes, indicators,rubrics and feedback I still feel my assessment of your learning is fairly trivial or at best a thin slice  indicator of what you’ve learned.  I realize many would love to believe that the number or grade you get is pure, accurate and will provide future instructors, institutions or employers an indication of your proficiency, understanding or knowledge. If anyone of these groups were to ask me about you, I could tell them what I’ve seen and observed. That may have value, the grade, not so much.

I also recognized that many of you took charge of your own learning, asking to change assignments, finding alternatives and creating meaning for yourselves. That’s what I wanted. While it wasn’t really an “anything goes
[/font]

I'm not one that willquickly jump on the prestige path if ever granted the opportunity to do so...Ifanything I'll be a lucky man to be given the opportunity to work with childrenwith electrifying potential and to think that a person like myselfwill be able interject in their most pivotal moments and act as a conductor andsurge a current of electric thinkers that would one day provide the futurewith continuous innovations and ideas. (Just finish watching Great Debaters &Dead Poets Society, immensely moved)

"Education is notthe filling a bucket but the lighting of the fire."

[font=Arial, sans-serif]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]
One issue I do hold isthe decrepit public school systems in many inner cities is not producing the necessary results. Even in Dead Poets Society, the Professor was forcedto succumb to the school authorities, and extract the passion and marrow out ofhis class in favor of consistent, predictable and conventional outcomes.

I believe thatmany Public systems are not teaching the students the joy of learning. Thepublic education system we have now for children is mainly concernedwith rote learning, the ability to memorize phrases, concepts and test takingstrategies that only serve the politicians in the end. Thinking is neitherrequired or expected, if anything standardize testing has really damage ourkids. In my community where many have received inferior education and have notmet the proper accreditation to advance or evenbe admitted to a good college.  From what I've notice thebiggest issue is literacy, promoting the power of words and proper guidancethis kids would be able to maximize their own potential. 

Education is a system -it has many components, including districts, administrators, for a start,I'm encouraging people to start with looking up the names of each one andmembers of the board of education. It is important for us to know who is incharge of imposing unfitting curriculum on the children. One example in Texas,republicans dominate therefore they get their way most of the time while we aretoo busy being disengage with the voting process. Recently the Texas Board ofEducation has stamped their conservative views on subjects such as History,Economics and Social Studies. If we can make it possible to storm the officesof these public officials in we could turn education on its head, shake itvigorously, & get some things done. I only speak of first hand observations not sure if this is a widespread notion amongst educators. Teachers are to be held accountable as well, in my personal experiences I was forced to remember my alphabets in first grade without ever given a reason as to why I need to do so. Instead of taking the time to add any level of emphasis as to why it is that I need to know my ABC's maybe I've would taken much more interest in doing so. (as an example)  We are in need of passionate teachers with relentless dedication to serve the kids. Too many students learn neither an intellectual process nor a knowledge base, nor acquire habits of study at least in my personal experiences. 

nerd.gif
  WHATS REALLY GOING ON? Who SHE BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE? 

[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]

[/font]

Here is a letter I found online from a Dean:

[/font]
[/font]

[h1]An Open Letter to my Students[/h1]

Dear Students,

Because of institutional requirements and societal norms, I’m required to give you a grade. This grade falls between 0-100 and in some way is intended to inform you and others how well you did in this course. The importance that number is given is appalling. While I do my best to provide you with some outcomes, indicators,rubrics and feedback I still feel my assessment of your learning is fairly trivial or at best a thin slice  indicator of what you’ve learned.  I realize many would love to believe that the number or grade you get is pure, accurate and will provide future instructors, institutions or employers an indication of your proficiency, understanding or knowledge. If anyone of these groups were to ask me about you, I could tell them what I’ve seen and observed. That may have value, the grade, not so much.

I also recognized that many of you took charge of your own learning, asking to change assignments, finding alternatives and creating meaning for yourselves. That’s what I wanted. While it wasn’t really an “anything goes
[/font]

Originally Posted by 23soles

I received my BS in Mathematics and I'm now working to complete my Master's in Secondary Education (grades 6-12) with a concentration in Mathematics. When I'm done with that, I'll pursue a Master's in Statistics.
Having completed all of that, I'll be in the Master's +45 lane. I'm getting a Master's in Statistics so I can be in that lane but most importantly so I can be eligible to teach Math/Stats at a junior college or lecture at a university.

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
good looking on the info

Originally Posted by 23soles

I received my BS in Mathematics and I'm now working to complete my Master's in Secondary Education (grades 6-12) with a concentration in Mathematics. When I'm done with that, I'll pursue a Master's in Statistics.
Having completed all of that, I'll be in the Master's +45 lane. I'm getting a Master's in Statistics so I can be in that lane but most importantly so I can be eligible to teach Math/Stats at a junior college or lecture at a university.

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
good looking on the info

Back
Top Bottom