any thoughts on the Tribe Called Quest Doc?

.....i absolutely hated to see these dudes fighting like that, glad it ended on a good note though.

- great doc
pimp.gif
, ive watched it a good 5 times or so so far.

....the.world.needs.MORE.hiphop.documentaries

i watched it the day it leaked online. I'm a tribe fan so of course i loved it. kinda wished they went more into the current since i already knew the history, but rappaport did his thing. caught myself in a few of the california concert scenes
pimp.gif

The trailer looked interesting. I didn't really know that stuff but I would watch it.

- Rappaport did a really good interview with Complex on the movie and the current beef between him Q-tip and Ali Shaheed. sad man, makes you not ever want to meet any of your idols.

- Tip was afraid he was looking like a bad guy, but IMHO Phife should have spoken up on how bad he was feeling at the time. and that stuff Tip said on stage dont even transfer to the people watching, thats some internal stuff, we dont even hear it like that.

......the look on Ali's face when Tip and Phife got into it summed it all up foreal

When a trailer leaked last December of the long-awaited A Tribe Called Quest Documentary, it was titled Beats Rhymes & Fights. The final version, which will hit theatres July 8, carries the much tamer title, Beats, Rhymes And Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest. Unfortunately the first title might have been more appropriate given the ugly public back-and-fourth that director Michael Rapaport, who’s also acted in films like Higher Learning, Beautiful Girls, and Hitch, has been engaged in with the group over everything from creative differences to whether or not they deserved a producer credit on the film. Q-Tip even took to Twitter at one point to state that he doesn’t support the film.

Recently ATCQ conducted an extensive interview with MTV in which they took Rapaport to task for everything from not respecting their edit requests to not paying for their travel accomodations for the Sundance Film Festival screening to a damning email they mistakenly received where one of the movie’s producers says “we'll $!$# them on everything else

Saw the poster for it the other day while watching a different movie. Definitely going to try to see this.

I waiting for this to leak on the net as well since they didn't have any screenings in SF. I wish the documentry was on a more general topic like all the Native Tongue family and how most (if not all) broke up or have broken up or stopped rapping. I would love to hear something on Black Sheep and how Dres went to jail, how that one dude from Jungle Brothers is gay (I think anyways), what happened to Leaders of the New School and Brand Nubian and I am sure there is so much more.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

I loved the documentary but I wish they had framed ATCQ against some of the larger issues that permeated hip-hop then and now. For example, the doc could have talked about the impact of copyrighting and licensing on beat-making when it referenced the countless samples ACTQ used. Or commercialization/corporate influence. It would've been nice.

It was a wonderful watch nonetheless.

http://niketalk.com/topic/295689

Thought it was pretty well done, could have been longer would have liked to hear about Dilla like the interview you posted hopefully it'll be on the deleted scenes 

It's a really good documentary on them. And Rapaport is right, he didn't make any of them look too particularly bad. I'm sure it definitely could have been worse if he kept some scenes or interviews in there that he edited out.

I saw it here in Chicago and I thought it was awesome.  I will say that, in my perspective, it's tough to watch the joint and not believe that q-tip is an %$# hole (although an extremely talented one).  I'm not a Rappaport fan at all (other than for this movie), but I don't think he intentionally showed q-tip in a bad light.  Tip did it all by himself. There are SO many moments where Tip shows he's an a-hole, and it's not like Rappaport led him on or antagonized him.  Having said that, I had no idea prior to watching the movie the big part that tip played in producing their music.  He even shows how he came up with some of the beats...
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
  I've honestly thought he was an Ok rapper, but when he explained his thought process for coming up with beats, I was like damnnnnnnnnn....dude really was talented. 

Ali prolly doesn't like the movie that much, cause now everyone knows he really didn't do that much for Tribe
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
- not that it doesn't take skill to dj or anything. 

I didn't get a chance to see this when it came out here, but I do plan on purchasing the DVD, especially if they release a Directors-cut.

Dope. I'm surprised there wasn't a thread made about this earlier. I saw it last month with my brother and cousin. I'm 29, so I remember everything while it happened. When they showed the clips of all of the Native Tongues, I actually started tearing up because I miss how rap used to be. Some of the younger dudes might have an idea, but it's a little different when you are old enough to fully understand and live it and remember how truly diverse rap used to be before it became really corporate. Not to hate on the younger dudes, I know they appreciate it because it's good music, but their perspective is slightly different. Needless to say, I cannot wait for the DVD. I will definitely cop. As far as my take on it, it just seems like Phife was more bitter than Tip. To me, it doesn't seem like that big a deal other than fame getting in the way of a true friendship. I do think and hope they'll be boys again. I think because of nature of their friendship, you can't duplicate their flow in the mic together. Shaheed and Jairobi seem to really be at peace where they are now. I just think Tip and Phife had that alpha dog mentality and they just reached their point as band mates.

I plan on watching. I'm not really familiar with their history so it should be interesting.

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

....the.world.needs.MORE.hiphop.documentaries 
I agree! The documentary was great though, only saw it once but I loved it. I'm a huge atcq fan though, have the low end theory chick tatted on my arm. Definitely going to buy it once it comes out.

87f36b8c6df0c67f74bf1aab3af70d8d3f92e87f_r.jpg

This wasn't playing anywhere near me. I can't wait to watch it. Does anyone know where you can purchase the movie poster online?

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

I waiting for this to leak on the net as well since they didn't have any screenings in SF. I wish the documentry was on a more general topic like all the Native Tongue family and how most (if not all) broke up or have broken up or stopped rapping. I would love to hear something on Black Sheep and how Dres went to jail, how that one dude from Jungle Brothers is gay (I think anyways), what happened to Leaders of the New School and Brand Nubian and I am sure there is so much more.

They showed it at the Metreon. I ended up seeing it at the bay st movie theater in emeryville cuz the century theater in concord canceled a showing and then the computer/projector got messed up. I liked the doc a lot. And I agree, tip made tip look like a douche. How is the whole group at ucsf for phifes transplant but tip sends a text? But when he made that quick lil beat in front of the camera?! WOW!I'm also trying to track down that poster.

Back
Top Bottom