Any tips for basketball tryouts?

One of the most overlooked aspects of the game is being able to move without the ball on offense. Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, and other players like them do this extremely well.

Set your man up before using screens. Minimize space between you and the defender when you set them. Read the defense. When you cut to the basket, vary your speed and change directions. Know where your teammates and the ball are at. And never, I repeat never, stand still for more than a couple of seconds. That being said, move with purpose and don't look like a chicken with it's head cut off when you're on the court. AND GO AFTER OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS.

It's the little things like these that keep good players from becoming great players. Wish you the best of luck little homie.

real life...

honestly, i don't think you're gonna make it man...

you've never played on a team? or much 5 on 5?

do you know fundamentals?

how do you not know what to do?

if you wanna stand out... box out... play D... go for rebounds... talk to your team... create ( esp for others)... you do all of this plus make at least one basket, guarantee your coaches jock...

show your coaches you have heart and basketball IQ....coaches love an educated player, natural talent is great but anything can be taught....goodluck

BTW any NT ballers in the nyc area
nerd.gif

Lets Ball !

what sport are u trying out for ?
is this for highschool ? college ?
and what area is it ?

real talk..
ive been to some tryouts

dont pass .. unless it makes you look good
3's are the key .. everyone needs a shooter..
and wear something that makes you stand out.. "that kid with the headband" "that kid in the yellow shirt"

Originally Posted by frshstunna

pull up threes on the fast break
use the euro step every chance you get
use your crossovers to make somebody fall
finger roll all lay ups
no look passes

......If you can pull all these things off successfully and consistently, then you are probably the best player on the floor and the team is yours now
pimp.gif
Sounds like you trying to get the man cut on the first day...
seriously 

-play defense, get back on defense, box out, be smart with the basketball, talk on defense, move without the basketball on offense, take smart shots and make smart passes,when you dribble don't look at the ball 

-if you play the point guard position concentrate on getting in the paint, that is the MOST important thing you can do for your team on offense.  if you beat your man off the dribble other people will leave there man to contest you and the dump down pass is there more times that not.

-start running because if this is a decent tryout there will be plenty of that

OP, try and cross-over every opportunity you get. You know--break ankles. Coaches like players with handles. Also be loud on offense and defense. Talk smack, intimidate the other kids trying out. Be the floor general and command attention. That's how you make the team.

Watch Mark Madson mixes lol Im sincerious too. Coaches love guys who hustle, play d, understand fundamentals and play with heart.

What makes the difference with fringe guys is the little things.....

Talk - and talk LOUD - especially on Defense... And be confident in what you say

Hustle! - Be the guy that gets to every loose ball, wins all the wind-sprints, runs to every drill, be first in line for the drills, run to the coach when he blows his whistle ect.

Take smart shots - don't be the guy everyone hates to play with cause you're chucking up contested 20 footers

Find your spots and take advantage - Never pass up opportunities to score when you're open. Don't show hesitation or fear to shoot/score/attack

Play within yourself - Be fundamental and stick with what you're good at. If you're not a great 3-point shooter don't shoot a bunch of 3s

Compliment your teammates - If they make a good play, let them know about it (coaches love this type of positive attitude)

If you're struggling offensively don't force it - focus instead on not turning the ball over and making great plays on defensive

BOX OUT - A good rebounding guard who's willing to battle for the boards are always coaches favorites

Have some swagger - don't be cocky or anything, but show the coaches you're confident in your ability to play

(i was a 3yr varsity starter in high school btw and recently went through walk-on tryouts at BYU and made it to the final 10 guys out of 45)

-If you're a guard, guaurd the other teams point guard and DO NOT LET THEM SCORE!!!

-Also if you guys do sprints or forms of running you HAVE to come in first
-show as little signs of being tired ie. dont bend over and pant, if anything put your hands on top of your head
-Be vocal
-Pay attention when they are explaining drills or anything you guys are about to do, the worst thing you can do is mess up in a drill. You say it will be a
packed tryout so every impression you make needs to be a good one.
-Last thing id say is go 110% all the time..even if you mess up going full speed coaches see you pushing yourself and others and they like that

You NEED to box out, talk on D, and have all the fundamentals down. If you haven't played on the team before it's going to be tough. I would guess the coach pretty much has the team set in his mind, that's the way it seems to go. So if you want a spot, you really need to stand out by hustle plays, winning sprints, showing your athleticism, etc. Good luck

Dunk every chance you get and take a 3 whenever you have daylight to shoot.

Also on D, if a guy ever beats you just foul him as hard as u can.

5'8" though?
sick.gif

Start drinking milk and eating spinach and come prepared next year. This year's not happening champ.

laugh.gif
@ only euro-step.

Son you know damn well you're not making a high school team if you have to come for advice.
30t6p3b.gif
Kids these days

Just do everything you see in this video and you will make the team champ.  Watch and learn

Originally Posted by th3answ3r

High school varsity. I'm a junior. I got cut last year as I played terribly and the coach didn't know who I was. This year, it's me showing up every morning and he knows I take ball seriously. Doesn't matter tho, it's all in the pickup game on tryout day. I started lifting 2 months ago. Still 5'8 and extremely underweight
Man leave them weights alone! real talk...get on those push ups, pull ups, dips etc all you want but being under 18 n lifting is not good for you...anatomically speaking. Make sure your Defense is at the forefront of your game, box out, go for ALL loose balls, get back after missed shots if not in key area, TALK on the floor, call out picks, come in shape (hit the beach if possible and run on that sand), pass n cut, do not stand around, follow all your shots. With this info you should be good bro

Son you gotta go on a crash course...just play ball all day every day until tryouts. You gotta go to the park and hoop till u tight on every part of your game. Don't know where u from but if its too cold hit a gym, but wherever you go just hoop as much as you can till tryouts start. Not just pickup games, but just practicing. Work on your jumper, handling and finishing. Thats the best you can do in a short amount of time like this.

I REF I DONT COACH...

BUT WHAT I DO HEAR FROM COACHES ON WHY A KID IS ON A TEAM IS THAT HE IS A HARD WORKER.

BUT FROM WHAT I REMEMBER FROM HS TRYOUTS WAS THIS..

HUSTLE
DIVE FOR LOOSE BALLS
Spoiler [+]
NO ROMO
PLAY DEFENSE WITH YOUR FEET
BOX OUT
PLAY D IN THE PASSING LANES

ALSO AT 5'8" YOU REALLY HAVE NOT ALOT TO OFFER BUT SPEED....I WILL GIVE YOU A REF'S ADVICE THOUGH....

ALL COACHES LOVE PLAYERS WHO TAKE CHARGES!!! SO MAN UP AND TAKE IT IN THE CHEST...
Spoiler [+]
NO ROMO

Back
Top Bottom