Any tips for basketball tryouts?

Originally Posted by Iamjusayn

Originally Posted by th3answ3r

High school varsity. I'm a junior. I got cut last year as I played terribly and the coach didn't know who I was. This year, it's me showing up every morning and he knows I take ball seriously. Doesn't matter tho, it's all in the pickup game on tryout day. I started lifting 2 months ago. Still 5'8 and extremely underweight
Man leave them weights alone! real talk...get on those push ups, pull ups, dips etc all you want but being under 18 n lifting is not good for you...anatomically speaking. Make sure your Defense is at the forefront of your game, box out, go for ALL loose balls, get back after missed shots if not in key area, TALK on the floor, call out picks, come in shape (hit the beach if possible and run on that sand), pass n cut, do not stand around, follow all your shots. With this info you should be good bro
By far the dumbest thing I've read on here in a long time.

Originally Posted by Swag Odie

laugh.gif
@ only euro-step.

Son you know damn well you're not making a high school team if you have to come for advice.
30t6p3b.gif
Kids these days

This.

I didn't want to say it, but it's so true.

I am the second fastest guy behind a 100m sprinter. Other than quicks and speed, I'm not very athletic. I will run sprints everyday, dribble the ball in my basement and put some shots up. Just gotta bring that killer instinct gameday and play the best game of my life.

I know nobody trying out wants the spot more than me, but it'll be hard to put 2 years of ball experience with an undersized guard against 8+ years of experience 6 footers. Honestly, the coach can use a 6'0 pg, he has no reason to use me but I'll prove my worth somehow.

Hope you make the squad, but idk exactly how good you are so it kinda sounds like to little too late. After getting cut last year you should've kept in touch with the coach asking him what you can work on, and just showing him how bad you wanna make the team. A lot more you can do in a year than two weeks, dude could've already had his mind set on having you on the team had you have done that. I can't really picture him throwing you on there next year, but just in case you don't make it, you ask him if it's a possibility and what you have to do to get there. 

does your school have a good ball team? like are they always in playoffs or playing for the state title? where is your school too
nerd.gif

I did ask the coach what I did wrong but he told me that I just wasn't amazing enough to replace someone from the year before. Said he wanted guys familiar with his system and the result would be some of the better guys getting cut. He isn't coaching the varsity team tho so it doesn't matter that he knows I want to play ball.

Use fundamentals. I'm talkin boxing out, hands in the passing lanes, sliding your feet, talking on defense, screens, conditioning. If you do all of that and show dedication, you will make it. Since your undersized, you have to show them that you are ready now. Hit the weights, get your endurance up.

Most of the dudes there will be cats that think they the next Lebron (name used for generational purposes) so they'll go out there and try to hard. Others won't be in enough shape to compete when it comes to drills because there will be drills bleedat.

Originally Posted by ohdannyboy

Originally Posted by Iamjusayn

High school varsity. I'm a junior. I got cut last year as I played terribly and the coach didn't know who I was. This year, it's me showing up every morning and he knows I take ball seriously. Doesn't matter tho, it's all in the pickup game on tryout day. I started lifting 2 months ago. Still 5'8 and extremely underweight
Man leave them weights alone! real talk...get on those push ups, pull ups, dips etc all you want but being under 18 n lifting is not good for you...anatomically speaking. Make sure your Defense is at the forefront of your game, box out, go for ALL loose balls, get back after missed shots if not in key area, TALK on the floor, call out picks, come in shape (hit the beach if possible and run on that sand), pass n cut, do not stand around, follow all your shots. With this info you should be good bro
By far the dumbest thing I've read on here in a long time.

Originally Posted by Swag Odie

laugh.gif
@ only euro-step.

Son you know damn well you're not making a high school team if you have to come for advice.
30t6p3b.gif
Kids these days

This.

I didn't want to say it, but it's so true.
ok einstein...let the kid stunt his growth 
indifferent.gif

^ why does it stunt growth? I don't believe that a lot of NCAA players did not lift in their high shcool days because they are so muscular

lifting doesnt stunt growth I know dudes from my old HS that were on the football team lifting since they were 14 and still grew

If the kids you're playing against aren't actually that good, intimidate them on defense. It doesn't matter if you're undersized. Get up in their face and get physical. If they try to drive, use your chest and upper body to block them and push them back. Assuming these dudes aren't actually clutch and controlled, they should lose the ball pretty easily like that.

Defense >

Anybody else a right-hander and prefers going left? Lol.. my left hand lay-up/finish and dribble is better than my right

Originally Posted by I3

Defense >

Anybody else a right-hander and prefers going left? Lol.. my left hand lay-up/finish and dribble is better than my right

I'm right handed but drive left almost all the time. I can hit floaters with my right but not my left, but for some reason I can finish with contact better with my left. Also, my spin move is better when I spin to the left and finish with my left.

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by I3

Defense >

I'm right handed but drive left almost all the time. I can hit floaters with my right but not my left, but for some reason I can finish with contact better with my left. Also, my spin move is better when I spin to the left and finish with my left.

It's a heck of a lot easier to get a shot off the left hand dribble than it is going right.  When you start dribbling right, and you don't square up to the basket there is a tendency to force the shot of the right shoulder and the right leg comes up.. this is a classic MJ fadeaway - but he mastered it. 

Ray Allen is the perfect square up shooter - his controlled shots are perfect.

Anyways - if you can hit off-balance jumpers more to you! I just see them as an extra skill after you've learnt the basics

Originally Posted by I3

Defense >

this I jump way higher and go up strong with my left for some reason
I can almost dunk lefty but righty I barely touch rim
eyes.gif

^ why does it stunt growth? I don't believe that a lot of NCAA players did not lift in their high shcool days because they are so muscular

Ask Physiology. It's a fact. I just posted the info. I am not here to argue. If you are not privy to this info then of course it will sound foreign
Originally Posted by Shorty Doo Wop

lifting doesnt stunt growth I know dudes from my old HS that were on the football team lifting since they were 14 and still grew
  It inhibits the full potential growth, it does not mean as soon as you lift you will never grow again 
laugh.gif

No offense OP, but it doesn't sound like you've played much organized ball.  To make an impression, play to your strengths and HUSTLE.  Do not stand around.  Take high percentage shots - what matters is that you can identify weaknesses in a defense, not that you make every basket.

- pass and go opposite
- run the two-man game (pick and roll, give and go)
- talk, talk, talk.  talk on offense and defense.
- if you're posting up, set a solid base and give your teammate a target with your hand
- spread the floor as much as possible
- help on weak side defense
- if you're not sure where you should be on offense, get out of the way.

pass up on the 3ball unless wide open
sound no fouling defense, move your feet
dont blow the 4-5 layups you get
communicate communicate communicate
no turnovers
no turnovers
no turnovers
hustle

Originally Posted by DimesLikeHefner

Henz0 changed my life�

I am in class tryin' my hardest not to laugh...but the slow motion layup and the gunshot have me cryin'...damn Henz lmaoooo

Back
Top Bottom