Anybody applying to medical school this year? Vol. Class of 2013

I think there may have been a handful that were getting ready to apply. I just submitted my application this morning. I still have the MCAT next Friday, sounfortunately I won't be verified for another six weeks.

Good luck. I know how annoying the application process is (graduated from Buffalo Pharmacy).

Where'd you apply to?

Good luck, man. Hopefully I'll be in the same boat as you in the next few years.

I'm going to be a freshmen at Penn State UPark this upcoming year. Right now my major is listed as "Undergratuate Studies (Undecided)", but wouldany of you know what steps I should take to build a solid foundation so I can enter Premed in the future? BTW, I'm trying to remain as focused as possiblemy freshmen year, so if my grades are good enough, I'd love to transfer to a school like Cornell.

Class of 2014? I'm not familiar with the American Medschool process, I thought you done 4 years premed with 4 years medschool? That would take you to 2012?

Anyways, good luck, hope for the best! I'm applying for next years entry, took a year out to get an extra qualification.

i hope to be a member of the class of 2014
wink.gif

you mean 2013...by the way its great that you submitted your AMCAS early

If he applies now (2008-2009 cycle), he will start in 2009. Four school years later, he will graduate, which makes him class of 2013.

DaJoka, you're still pretty early. I would've taken the MCAT earlier if I were you but it's not a big deal. You should post your personal statementhere just for fun....

My bad on the date. Not thinking.

I'd rather not post my personal statement. My dad told me it was sappy. My mom thought it was good. I had others think it was good, but NT will lean theway my dad did
laugh.gif

Here's the schools I applied to:

George Washington
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Tulane
Maryland
Tufts
Dartmouth
Albany
Cornell
Mount Sinai
New York Medical
SUNY Downstate
Rochester
Case Western
Drexel
Jefferson
Penn State
Vermont
Virginia
MCV (VCU)
Eastern Virginia

#1 is Cornell. #2 is Mount Sinai. #3 is UVA. But as anybody who's been through it knows, you really don't care where you end up.

I'm on track to take the MCAT in August. DaJoka004, did you take any prep courses to help you prepare? I'm taking Kaplan right now, and its helping meout so much so far. What's ur gpa if you don't mind me asking? What are the requirements in Virginia like gpa wise? I'm from Texas and its prettyhigh. But hey, gpa isnt everything now days.

you really wanna stay on the east coast, huh? good luck on your mcats and admissions dude

Originally Posted by NolanMJJ

you really wanna stay on the east coast, huh? good luck on your mcats and admissions dude

applying to med school from being on the east coast you basically have 2 choices in terms of location...east coast or middle of nowhere USA

i also would have taken MCATs earlier. i didnt even know you could submit your AMCAS without MCAT scores

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

My bad on the date. Not thinking.

I'd rather not post my personal statement. My dad told me it was sappy. My mom thought it was good. I had others think it was good, but NT will lean the way my dad did
laugh.gif

Here's the schools I applied to:

George Washington
Georgetown
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Tulane
Maryland
Tufts
Dartmouth
Albany
Cornell
Mount Sinai
New York Medical
SUNY Downstate
Rochester
Case Western
Drexel
Jefferson
Penn State
Vermont
Virginia
MCV (VCU)
Eastern Virginia

#1 is Cornell. #2 is Mount Sinai. #3 is UVA. But as anybody who's been through it knows, you really don't care where you end up.
No Buffalo? Stonybrook?

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

I think there may have been a handful that were getting ready to apply. I just submitted my application this morning. I still have the MCAT next Friday, so unfortunately I won't be verified for another six weeks.
Hey Joka how far into the app process are you. I refuse to consult those dorks in Studentdoctor.net
laugh.gif

I just finished secondaries for George Washington, Uniformed Services, New Jersey Med, SUNY Downstate and Cincinnati.

I applied to: 30+ total on amcas which was dumb on hindsight cause I don't have enough resources to fill out secondaries or travel for all those.
[table][tr][td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td][/td] [td][/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]

This whole process is taking its toll financially and mentally. I tried to get fee assistance but *$% was taking too long I wanted to submit amcas as early as possible. I was able to get secondary fee waivers. Between paying for my masters program, AMCAS, secondaries and travelling for hopeful interviews, my wallet will hurt.
tired.gif

If you dont mind me asking how the mcats go?

I would be happy to go wherever takes me but top choice?

1. Uniformed services-Wanna practice in the military
pimp.gif

2.Loma Linda-Love cali
3.Tufts (my undergrad)
4. Albert Einstein
5. Emory
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Good luck, the mcat is no easy task, that exam took 6 months of life.
how much you spending for all those applications? Amcas is not cheap.

Good luck. I am in my senior yr of med school and am just now starting to get my mind together to start applying to residency. Having to write a whole newpersonal statement etc is dreadful.

Good luck for the long haul. I graduated from med school in 2005 and just finished my residency and started fellowship last week. My advice to anyone who'sconsidering applying:

1. Unless you are worried about getting enough secondaries/interviews or you plan to go to every interview, I suggest just applying to 10 schools which is thefree amount from AMCAS. If you get 15 interviews are you really going to go to each one?
2. Public school > private school. Nothing like graduating from medical school with minimal debt (or none in my case!).
3. Take the MCAT after you take biochemistry. If you got credits to take biochem in your sophomore year (organic chem freshman year) then I'd try to takethe MCAT in August at the beginning of your junior year, otherwise just take it in April with everybody else and take biochem your first semester junior year.
4. Make sure you want to be a doctor because of more than just money and prestige. The money can be good, but there are easier/quicker ways to make money, andthe prestige isn't what it used to be.
5. Be sure to be extremely nice (but not annoyingly so) to the admissions office coordinator (read: secretary). They can really help you out or sink yourapplication. They're probably the 2nd most important person besides the dean of admissions in terms of your application.
6. Get a major other than pre-med. If you don't get into medical school, a degree in chemistry or biochem will be a lot more helpful than a degree inpre-medical studies.
7. Make sure none of your friends are pre-med. There are no more annoying people in college than pre-medical students. Ugh.

If I think of more I'll post, otherwise feel free to shoot any questions my way.

any other helpful sites/forums that can give helpful information about med schools, undergrad curriculum, application process, etc?

studentdoctor.net rtz13. I've been on there going through old threads since the summer started. I actually used to visit last year aswell.

My goal is to become a dentist, and I absolutely love that site. I'm about to get my Associates in Humanities. After that, I transfer, and enter theBiochemistry major at SU. If all goes as planned, I'll become a Dentist by 2017.

Back
Top Bottom