Anybody else kinda out growing rap?

Nope. Due to streaming now, I’ve pretty much been backtracking a lot of albums I either didn’t listen to, or gave a passing listen to, on top of the new stuff. There’s actually a glutton of music cause of that. Now if you’re talking about mainstream rap, no doubt. Barely any of that is for me.

Last edited:
Nah, I don't see how people say that they're growing out of a whole musical genre.

It always comes off as saying you're almost better than it or you've matured past it.

There is so much rap all along the spectrum that if you looked, you can find something.

I think fatigue is probably more accurate. As mentioned above, I think we all diversify when we get older and widen out horizons, but to think you're outgrowing it seems like rap as a whole is immature.

I think fatigue is probably more accurate. As mentioned above, I think we all diversify when we get older and widen out horizons, but to think you're outgrowing it seems like rap as a whole is immature.

This is where I'm at. A lot of the newer "Soundcloud Rappers" I can't get into. Cats like Juice WRLD, Lil Pump, Lil Skies etc. But then you have ****** like DaBaby and J.I.D. who I very much enjoy. I don't know if because I'm just getting older or what but I'm much more selective in the rap I listen to nowadays.

When it comes to the newer rappers, Im pretty straight on a lot of them. Not cuz I think they trash, they just dont grab me like that and Im just not inclined to look em up.

I guess I just got my handful I really rock with and I just stick with those. I used to really digest music in general non stop, always lookin for new tracks and listening all day, but life has kinda got in the way of that since Im older. Only time I really listen to music is on the way to work and back home. If I do go out to the bar/club I might hear something new and download it later.

I still love rap. I dont think Ive outgrown the genre, I just got my small core that Im dedicated to at this point.

Agree with the topic of thread for sure.
Can't get down with the new popular rap. But since im older i still have some older rappers that i listen to that are still putting out music (Aesop Rock, Sage Francis, Atmosphere, Jedi Mind Tricks, POS).

The only mainstream rap that i find myself liking and looking forward to is Drake, Cole and Kendrick (there is prob more like Ka, Big KRIT, Kevin Gates just can't think of them all now). But the soundcloud generation has never been good to me. Always been heavy into lyrics and i think thats what turns me off about rap now a days since that seems to be a sidenote when it comes to making songs.

Hip Hop is my lifestyle, my culture, my upbringing. It’s more than music to me.

BUUUUUTTT I don’t have the patience or tolerance for new rap, it’s usually older rap I’m playing. 94-2014 is my range for the most part.

I do listen to R&B way more today than I did 10-15 years ago.

anywhere online to upload tracks to a playlist and create a link so you guys can listen to it?
if you're into boom bap I have 100s of tracks from Griselda, da cloth, action Bronson, al divino, etc.

Nope. Due to streaming now, I’ve pretty much been backtracking a lot of albums I either didn’t listen to, or passed on, on top of the new stuff. There’s actually a glutton of music cause of that. Now if you’re talking about mainstream rap, no doubt. Barely any of that if for me.

This.

I still listen to a lot of rap, just not a lot of these new dudes :lol:.

I'm more inclined to just listen to old **** before jumping on something new. I'm definitely not waking up every Friday Morning checking the "New Releases" section of any streaming platform.

Kodak probably gets the most burn from me as far as the new generation goes (He's a dweeb but he got cuts).

iUFxu44.png

Dont think its possible for me to outgrow Rap, Hip-Hop was a huge part of my upbringing and continues to be a large part of my life. I am completely over the ****ery that seems to thrive in the mainstream for whatever reason though. Don't give a **** about who you ****ing, how much money you got, what car you driving, or any of the **** rappers (or people in general) involve themselves with to keep people's attention on social media. Bars and music is what most important to me personally, **** everything else

there is less and less rap that i check for, not that I've out grown it, it's just not good, not interesting, or innovative
I still listen to rap but I'm just not adding that many new artists to the rotation

I completely get where this question is coming from but, no.

Just because Tekashi 69, NBA Young Boy, Ski Mask the Slump God and Lil Pump absolutely suck yet are popular, that doesn't mean that I myself have outgrown rap.

It just means that the bar is low and the barrier to entry is even lower.

Hip Hop is my lifestyle, my culture, my upbringing. It’s more than music to me.

BUUUUUTTT I don’t have the patience or tolerance for new rap, it’s usually older rap I’m playing. 94-2014 is my range for the most part.

I do listen to R&B way more today than I did 10-15 years ago.
Do you listen to Curren$y?

I'm ALOT more critical and selective about who I pick and choose these days when it comes to choosing new artists to listen to. Also, I began to embrace other genres(pop, alternative, soft rock, jazz, etc.) after high school that I always appreciated, yet never got into when I was younger. I guess the people you surround yourself with really does rub off on you. When I started clubbing alot, I got more into electropop and techno pop, which I wasn't a fan of before. I think as a kid, most don't fully embrace their interests because they're too worried about what their friends or classmates might think.

But, I actually believe kids these days are becoming more open-minded about this since the media is out there for them to absorb whenever they want. I kid you not, when my girlfriend was an afterschool teacher, there were middle school kids that embraced Eminem, 90s rap, 90s grunge, 90s R&B, 2000s pop, and other kids saw them as "cool" for knowing about that music. When I would be a "guest speaker" they always ask "how dangerous it was in the 2000s?", "how did I wear baggy clothes comfortably?", and "how was the hyphy era?". But, the question they asked me about the most was "how did you guys discover music and TV shows without youtube?".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom