Anybody ever dabbled in beatmaking on here?

I'm looking to get into music production. I downloaded FL Studio but have no clue how to use it. I'm about to watch as many youtube tutorials as I can but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this and if they have any advice for a beginner. Should I buy a keyboard? If so, which one? Thanks in advance.

Been producing for about two years now. Nothing major, but extremely cathartic. I use reason but I've also messed with ableton live. From the jump I purchased an AKAI MPD drum machine. One of the best investments I've ever made. If you're going to make a purchase, I'd go that route before buying a piano. Fool around with the Fruity loops interface first and then, if you're going to take it serious, cop a piano. 

All depends on what type of beats you wanna make.

Those "Trap" tutorials are great for learning drum sequencing though.

ive used garageband to make a few beats for me and my boys to hop on. it can be time consuming but the end product makes it worth it for me. ive always wanted to get an mpad, it seems like so much fun to just mess around on one of those things and make sick beats that aren't really bound to any sort of structure.

A lot of great, affordable options nowadays in terms of getting started in music production. You just have to figure out how serious you want to be. If this is something you just want to try out then I wouldn't spend a lot of money (If any for that matter) on equipment. Fruity loops is always a cool start. It will help you learn the fundamentals of production, mainly because of the step sequencer already in place for you, as well as some cool vst's and drum sounds. I haven't used FL in some years but it has all of the starting pieces you need in order to make a record.

Now, If you're interested in getting more serious, I would recommend going out and purchasing a midi keyboard. A 25 key will suffice, however, I would recommend nothing short of a 49. It doesn't have to be some top of the line midi, as even the most basic one will serve it's purpose. I believe a 25 key midi starts as low as $50. Since I take it you're not on a Mac, I'd probably give Reason a try as well, as it has a lot of great sounds and tools right out the box. Producing music is a rewarding experience. Takes a lot of patience and commitment but the feeling is truly rewarding. I've been at it for about 6-7 years now. Started out messing around with FL, to actually going out and buying Reason, to switching over to Logic Pro which is my current DAW of choice. Just find what works for YOU and stick with it. Best of luck to you and don't hesitate to ask any other questions if you have any :wink:

Stick with FL studio ..study instrumentals more than lyrics

get some banging drum & put in alot of time

you'll learn something new everyday .. btw dont get frustrated & give up easy cause you dont sound like so & so

dont buy a keyboard... buy a midi controller... get some vsts... learn how to sample even if u dont want to lol

DONT BUY A MIDI CONTROLLER UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED TO. I've used FL Studio for the past 6 years and never bothered owning a MIDI controller till I switched to Mac and started messing with Logic. 

FL Studio is a Great DAW it can be rewired to alot of other DAWs and the Plug-ins/VST are changing the game. So when it comes to versatility FL Studio takes the cake. I started to use FL studios in 2003 when it was called fruity loops 4 at that time I used the software for sampling heavy. But I just didnt like the fact that I was stuck in the sampling world.  So I decide to go with some change like OBAMA and made the switch to Reason 4 now on 5 and I have nevered looked back. I love Reason the sound creation is incredible but like I said in the beginning FL Studio can be Rewired to anything. Take FL Studio as a stepping stone, learn about BPM, Mixing, and Sequencing. But just remember its all about work flow and how comfortable you feel. After all Time is Money.    

Also I really never got to use FL Studio with a Midi Keyboard like I have with Reason right now. But good examples of people who dont use keyboards Lex Luger and SouthSide and they still make hits. So once again it's all about work flow. 

Back
Top Bottom