ANYBODY HERE EVER STUDY ABROAD? VOL. EUROPE

Yea a broad or two. Alright jokes over with. Down to business. Anyways, anybody here ever do it? How hard is it to get into one of these programs? Was itworthwhile? What company did you do it through?

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

Yea a broad or two. Alright jokes over with. Down to business. Anyways, anybody here ever do it? How hard is it to get into one of these programs? Was it worthwhile? What company did you do it through?
You took away the fun in that.. was about to come in here and say that
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Honestly, it depends on what college you're at.

In most colleges, it's not very hard, but it's not super easy either. Some require you to take the native language for X amount of years, while otherswill have you learning the language while there.

I'm not in college yet, but my primary choice highly recommends studying abroad (they almost require it,) so I'll probably end up doing it as soon as Iget enrolled. Off to China or somethin'.

That is, unless you're not in school. Then I'd imagine that it'd be very hard and costly. But, all of the students I've talked to so farrecommend study abroad.

I studied in Paris. It was the best semester of college and probably one of the most memorable times of my life. Anyone who can go really should. It'sabout personal and cultural development.

Usually there are academic requirements as far as major and GPA if it is done through a college.

Usually there are academic requirements as far as major and GPA if it is done through a college.

I'm sitting on a 3.55 and I go to school with my man in the avy. Am I good to go?

Studied in Shanghai over the summer. Best experience of my life (so far). GPA requirements was a 3.0 or above, and since it was over the summer, you didn'treally need any prerequisites to take the classes that were offered. Definitely plan on bringing some extra cash though, it's VERY easy to overspend. Asfor knowing the native language beforehand, it's is helpful but not necessary depending on the program you plan on attending. Overall, it is definitelyworth it.

Did you guys pay for this yourselves(or parents) or did you somehow raise enough money through work/scholarships/whatever?

Man, Ive wanted to do this since I started college two years ago. I would like more info on this as well. Good topic Moon.

If you got the marks man, take advantage of it. It's a great experience overall. I'm not currently doing it, but I went to Europe in the summer andenjoyed it.

It'll broaden your horizons and add some cred to your resume. In terms of coin, most of my buddies had to work for it.

If it's a direct exchange, then you might not have to pay a lot since your school and the school abroad have arranged agreements for your study.

If you go through a third party, you might have to pay a bit extra. And in some scenarios, it's summer studies as opposed to an exchange during a semester.

All three of my roomates went abroad last Spring semester. They all loved it. One was in Florence through UNC-CH and he said it was incredibly easy. The othertwo were in Maastricht, which was a tougher program, but still easy as it was through our business school.

I got lazy and didn't get the application filled out in time, but knowing now that we got stomped in the Final Four, I definitely would have wished I wentto Florence.

If you are serious about it you should look for scholarship programs offered through your school. One of my roomates got like 4 or 6 K, I think. And it isdefinitely way too late to go next semester. You must be looking at summer time or next fall?

A summer session abroad would be sick IMO. I had a bunch of friends do that last summer and they all had a great time b/c you're taking less classes andthey were with a group of friends basically traveling and partying the whole time.

Either way, a semester is a long time abroad and it can get very old and expensive, especially given the economic situation.

EDIT- All my friends that went abroad got student apartments. We also have a program in Spain where you live with a host house. I heard a few stories of peoplenot getting along with their host either (things getting stolen, language barrier, tension in the house) so I would not want to do that.

I'm looking at a summer session somewhere in the UK. I was thinking about Spain until the whole Olympics fiasco, so that's out of the question.Basically, I just want to drink in another country for about 2 and a half months.

I'm looking at a summer session somewhere in the UK. I was thinking about Spain until the whole Olympics fiasco, so that's out of the question. Basically, I just want to drink in another country for about 2 and a half months.
I think most summer programs are roughly 6 weeks. I'm not sure what locations you can go to in the UK though. You will probably be with abunch of Americans though. I think UT goes to Barcelona too. I had a couple of friends from UNC go in that program and they met a bunch of UT people b/c Ithink we go through the same service...

^LOL

You definitely need to stop by Amsterdam of course, and given Europe, your only a train ride and few hours away.

The British Pound pwns the American dollar and doesn't do well right now either with the Euro so keep that into perspective when you go.

Spain is a really good choice, that would have been my place of study. Didn't go to Madrid, but Barcelona is
pimp.gif
and the women there...
pimp.gif

I studied Spanish at University of Zaragosa. I'm Mexican/Argentine so I thought I could do my thing with ease but I got hit with the
laugh.gif
from the profs when I started to speak. I too lived in a host house; co-signwhat my dude said earlier about the possibility of having beef with your host - it happens. All that aside, it was a great experience and I'd recommend itif you have the opportunity. Go to school during the week and then hop a train to *insert famous Euro city here* on the weekends.

I did 4 weeks in Asia (1 in Tokyo, 2 in Beijing, 1 in Shanghai) and it was one of the best experiences of my life, matter of fact just got back from hangin outwith some friends from the trip

For the dudes that went abroad, can you tell me what your GPA/academics was at the time you applied?

For the dudes that went abroad, can you tell me what your GPA/academics was at the time you applied?
My roomates grades didn't transfer over so they were essentially Pass/Fail.... But they did get credit hours for the classes.

One said he had to write a 7 page paper on vitamins and fats or something. Said he copied and pasted straight from wikipedia, made it triple space size 14font.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Said the grades the teacher gave out ranged from 92-100 for that paper.

I'm asking about the GPA you applied to get into the program with. I'm trying to see how competitive some of these study abroad programs are.

Ohh..

The program I was looking into was Florence and it was a 2.9 minimum GPA. I think our Barcelona summer program is a 3.0.

Your schools website should have a study abroad section with websites to each program. There you should find minimum GPA requirements. You said yours was a3.55 so you should be straight for most all programs UT offers.

Back
Top Bottom