Anybody hip to sensory deprivation tanks?

I've been looking into trying this recently and wondered if anyone can give some testimonials to it, and if the cost (roughly 60 dollars a session locally) is worth the benefits.

Have heard great things regarding this and Float Therapy.

I wanna try Float Therapy before sensory deprivation tho, just so I'm not overwhelmed.

Been talking to the wifey, sometimes they have groupons for these places so we might go soon.

^^ As far as I know, float therapy and sensory deprivation are the same thing.

The way I explain floating and sensory deprivation is it's meditation on training wheels. Being in a tank that blocks out sensory stimulation eliminates distractions that we would face meditating in other environments. You pretty much have no choice but to look inward when in the tank. Can it be overwhelming? For sure, because outside of the tank we have the ability to distract ourselves from our internal issues with the scroll of a feed or the click of a video. Access to things that deter us from self-reflection is at our fingertips, so all the issues that we've internally set aside might come in waves when inside a tank.

Floating, similar to meditation, doesn't always reveal its benefits from the first session. After the first session you'll definitely feel relaxed and stress-free, but to reach the mental state of complete peace where your mind is empty, allowing room for epiphanies, takes time and practise. I'm far from a yoga/zen/emptied mind kind of person, so I realize that things such as meditation and float therapy/sensory deprivation seem and look weird, but it's the other way around. People live their lives stressed everyday, ignoring internal issues that may actually be the cause of said stresses, and the lack of self-reflection to me, seems and looks weird. I recommend float therapy/sensory deprivation to anyone who needs to get away from the world for an hour or so because it really does help to slow things down in a world where it's go-go-go.

Been very interested in this ever since listening to Joe Rogan speak on it. Will try it out soon.

Meditation on training wheels was the best description so far.

I meditate daily but I've been to a float tank a handful of times. It feels a lot like a reset to me. Always walk out feeling rejuvenated and spiritually super saiyan.

Also recommend eating a weed edible 30-45 minutes prior.

You'll thank me later when you're astral projecting in Egypt flying around the city like Aladdin.

there's a spot by my house that offers this. may have to take a look

^^ As far as I know, float therapy and sensory deprivation are the same thing.

The way I explain floating and sensory deprivation is it's meditation on training wheels. Being in a tank that blocks out sensory stimulation eliminates distractions that we would face meditating in other environments. You pretty much have no choice but to look inward when in the tank. Can it be overwhelming? For sure, because outside of the tank we have the ability to distract ourselves from our internal issues with the scroll of a feed or the click of a video. Access to things that deter us from self-reflection is at our fingertips, so all the issues that we've internally set aside might come in waves when inside a tank.

Floating, similar to meditation, doesn't always reveal its benefits from the first session. After the first session you'll definitely feel relaxed and stress-free, but to reach the mental state of complete peace where your mind is empty, allowing room for epiphanies, takes time and practise. I'm far from a yoga/zen/emptied mind kind of person, so I realize that things such as meditation and float therapy/sensory deprivation seem and look weird, but it's the other way around. People live their lives stressed everyday, ignoring internal issues that may actually be the cause of said stresses, and the lack of self-reflection to me, seems and looks weird. I recommend float therapy/sensory deprivation to anyone who needs to get away from the world for an hour or so because it really does help to slow things down in a world where it's go-go-go.

They're the same as far as floating.. but I think sensory deprivation you get no music and no noise, as well as no light at all.

Float therapy places I was looking at had a dim light in the tank with you and you can listen to music while in the tank.

^ I see what you're saying. From the tanks that I've been in, there's always the option of music/light so I thought it was the same thing. Regardless, hope your experience goes well man. 

Back
Top Bottom