Anybody Study Abroad?

I've been in England for three weeks taking a course, going to be here for another three and I lowkey started hating it recently.

It was cool at first but now I'm homesick like crazy and can't wait to get back in the states, counting down the days really. It's not my first time out of the country but it is the longest time.

Is this weird? I know its supposed to be a great experience and all that and it was, but now I feel like I'm ready to get the hell outta here.

How was your study abroad experience?

Can you explain the process by which you got there? How'd you find rooming/income?

Perhaps, thi sjust might be your first time away from home. Go out, meet people. Make the experience last. It's no use making yourself miserable. You're in a whole nwe country, by yourself, do stuff that you like my man.

maaaan, just get out there and go find some yambs...trust me, when you start going out and having fun and making the best of your situation, you'll realize what a great opportunity it really is...

If were you I'd be huntin around Birmingham to see if there are others like....

elisha1.jpg

AnK_e_pCMAAKS5K.jpg:large

tumblr_m41w8xjrRs1roodvro2_500.jpg

tumblr_m6sua3azZL1rshvlbo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m5y9v8p51e1roodvro1_500.jpg

tumblr_m48x51Rl9L1r19umjo1_500.jpg

maaaan, just get out there and go find some yambs...trust me, when you start going out and having fun and making the best of your situation, you'll realize what a great opportunity it really is...
If were you I'd be huntin around Birmingham to see if there are others like....
elisha1.jpg

AnK_e_pCMAAKS5K.jpg:large

tumblr_m41w8xjrRs1roodvro2_500.jpg

tumblr_m6sua3azZL1rshvlbo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m5y9v8p51e1roodvro1_500.jpg

tumblr_m48x51Rl9L1r19umjo1_500.jpg

:evil:

I'm looking into studying abroad, but I still want to be able to graduate in 4 years. :\

Last edited:
Dat spoiler..

:pimp:

Go get some yambs... they will cooperate because you're foreign ...

What city you in OP?

Man i loved traveling so much, I studied abroad twice.
First time in London, UK
Second time in a small university city: Salamanca, Spain.

I'd say the key is to avoid the comfort of chilling with big american groups, no one is gonna talk to you. Find a solid group of 2-3 homies and just wander around and meet people, cause that's really when you find out about all the local spots and things just get way more interesting.

And to the dude worried about graduating in 4 years, just take summer school.

I'm in oxford slam.

And yeah I think we need to go out in smaller groups cuz so far it's been the exact way you described it (big American group)

is there anything particular that you're not liking about england, or are your feelings about your time spent over there rooted primarily from missing the comforts of home? i wasn't as lucky as you to travel and study abroad (wish i would have in retrospect), but in the next few years i wanted to try and teach at an international school, particularly one in the UK. i'd agree with slamcity though, definitely step out and explore the city to get the most out of your stay. you may never go back!

That's unfortunate OP.. I've studied abroad for a 1 and a half years. I miss my couch, tv, and netflix, and of course my fam, but that's not even enough to make we want to go back anytime soon. I travel quite often, and when i'm not I live it up in the small *** city that I study in, in France. The past yr and half has literally been Euro Trip on roids for me.

In the 3 programs I've been in, I've seen kids that absolutely loved it, and those that just couldn't cease the opportunity; from, acquiring new friends, to stepping outside their comfort zone even more. Sure, the weather is terrible in England, but where I'm at it's even worse.

The experience is what you make it, grab a small group of friends (3 at the most), head to Dublin and stay in a hostel, party, do the same in london.

And get the hell away from other Americans, completely. Keep 1 or 2 close friends around, maybe some yambs if the dynamic and ratio of the group is aiight, but branch out, English, Irish, Scottish mates are cool as shht.

cheers

Can't agree with you guys more about keeping a small group with you as opposed to a big one. I studied abroad in Holland last year for 6 weeks and only traveled in groups of 2-5 every weekend. The people who traveled in big 8-10+ groups always had something to complain about.

definitely feel you on this one OP- studied 5 years abroad.

the problem with the UK is the weather (especially right now) it's just grim and makes getting up everyday when you're in a rut that much tougher.

there is tons to explore though what city are you in?

Back
Top Bottom