Anyone Collect Sports Cards?

NBA TopShot is just a place where you may buy a moment/clip of an nba game respective to a player's moment of their scoring moment. each pack ($9) comes with 3 moments (still in BETA but licensed by the NBA)

there are different tiers where they vary with prices. check out their site, i was super Skeptical at first when my friend told me about it.

Part 1: How To Play NBA Top Shot (Infographic Overview) - YouTube

I mean I get it. But I don’t get it. I can find a clip on YouTube or IG/Houseofhighlights. Would be strictly reselling and no appeal to me for collectables.

That being said I’ll probably be way into it in 3 years and collect them all.

yup i said the same exact thing about searching up highlights. still feel skeptical about the whole thing bc i dont know how it will be 1 year from now.

this does not beat the physical feeling of opening packs but it'll suffice for the time being :frown:

The appeal is obviously resell. You’re dropping $100-1,000 for the potential to get a digital card worth $100,000. That’s the end game. They could sell us anything. Game used saliva but if there’s a rare factor, it’s all open game.
It’s the lottery and with sports sort of happening but not happening and many betting places closed, this fills quite the niche.

the bid and ask position is what makes stockX so popular. And even your stock apps. This is somehow legalized lottery with real big gains possible. But for every winner and gainer of 100 ppl, ,99 others are holding absolute crap.

The appeal is obviously resell. You’re dropping $100-1,000 for the potential to get a digital card worth $100,000. That’s the end game. They could sell us anything. Game used saliva but if there’s a rare factor, it’s all open game.
It’s the lottery and with sports sort of happening but not happening and many betting places closed, this fills quite the niche.

the bid and ask position is what makes stockX so popular. And even your stock apps. This is somehow legalized lottery with real big gains possible. But for every winner and gainer of 100 ppl, ,99 others are holding absolute crap.

That's the way I see it, like NBA digital lottery tickets, spend $10 hoping for a Bron, Ja, Gianni's, Zion. Could be a great Ponzi scheme as well. I spent $50 and sold one for $375 so I'm up. Cashing out as fast as possible.

My brothers and I were obsessed with NFL cards growing up. It was mainly for the love of the hobby, but it gets expensive so you'd like to be able to make some of your money back. We realized how difficult it was to do that: you need a rare card, and it has to be in great condition, and preferably graded, and then you have to find a seller. We didn't sell a single card, ever. This was right when Ebay was starting so we weren't using it yet. After about 3 years of spending most of our money on cards, we moved on.

What I like about Top Shot is that it fixes most of those issues:
-There's no varying conditions, you can't "mess up" your card (fold/bend, get wet, tear, etc).
-This also eliminates need to get graded
-Every single "moment" is individually numbered, even the common ones that have over 15,000 in circulation. This adds a level of intrigue and value. So even in common packs, if you get a very low numbered common card it can still be very valuable.
-Centralized marketplace (same website where you purchase), it's fairly easy to sell.
-You can do everything on your phone or computer, you don't have to spend time driving to a store.

Of course, there's negatives. Mainly that it's currently very difficult to withdraw funds (can take 6-8 weeks). Also, the market could easily crash, although right now things are looking promising. And the whole not owning a physical product aspect. But with people being raised with digital pictures / books / currency, I don’t see this as a big issue.

I joined this thread because I never stopped liking sports cards. Now that I'm old and have more disposable income, I was thinking of getting back into cards. The stories of people waiting at the store to clean out stock really put me off though. It just happens that at the same time I was contemplating getting back into regular sports cards, Top Shots is starting to blow up. So, I'm in!

Last edited:
My head kind of hurts trying to wrap my brain around NBA Top Shot’s digital platform. I completely understand it but mentally wrestling with what we know as a physical product converting to opposite is a weird phenomenon. I know this is the way things are trending though so roll with the tide., right? Ultimately I question the integrity of how ‘cards’ are issued/delegated but I guess that same concern can be raised with physical cards/packs too.

Wtf is a digital card?

so this top shot stuff is pure online? No physical cards at all?

Correct.

I’m in my 30s so I get the hesitancy. But if you think about it, a lot of things are going digital and it’s often preferable. Pictures. Currency. Meetings. Doctors visits are on the horizon. Trading cards makes so much sense to me. No worries about messing up your card or having to get them graded. And since each one is individually numbered, you really feel like you own it.

Just the fact of digital only cards

I feel like the reason ppl love the hobby of cards is because of the actual card itself, and then on top of that the attached used memorabilia and autos that go with said card

It makes it feel personal with the athlete

Last edited:
You can own a specific serial number of this Jamal Murray clip for $4. I personally find this clip more exciting/interesting than 99% of trading cards, especially in that price range. How often do most people look at their cards? I know everyone is different, but I’d guess not often. I’ve seen my Murray clip maybe 6-8 times already. It’s fun to view. Videos are more fun than photos.

Some people are resistant to change while others are more forward thinking. At the eotd just do you and let others do them

I display my cards, so the digital thing never worked for me. Same with books. I get it though.

Ahh, that’s cool. Any pics of your display? I would love to display some jerseys & balls, preferably autographed, but don’t own any yet. I have an autographed Bill Walton UCLA hat I still have somewhere.

This is still extremely new. People are thinking of ideas on how to display these clips. There are frames that display digital pictures, so maybe something similar. You can probably stream it on a large screen TV. You can already text/email/post links, so that’s pretty cool. And while anyone can view it, it’s still yours, only you own it and can sell/gift (trade in the near future?) them. Blockchain makes it pretty secure as far as I understand.

Yea, count me out on the virtual card. :lol:

I actually do play and go thru my cards all the time. Hell, all my junk wax purchases are for whenever the day I become filthy rich, or retire, I can sit around and bust every God damn one of those packs. :lol: :pimp:

And I can print out any of your cards.

I remember being very hesitant about crypto so I never invested. Several years later, I get it now. These digital cards make so much sense. I’m glad I’m getting in early before it gets really big and too expensive.

not an auto or memorabilia

And its really hard to print and replicate the cards, even the numbered joints at that

I just screen recorded the clip tho, I get it tho, something new and technology forward

Almost all of those so called “memorabilia” cards that companies like to include as inserts were never even game worn or game used. The wording usually states “player worn” or something of tha nature. And by player worn this is basically what you’re getting
280B0F7E-0CA2-4CC7-8A8C-B6ED9B98ECF7.jpeg

he probably wore that oversized jersey for all of 2 minutes and then took it off. Then Topps cuts into pieces and embeds it in a card and calls it “memorabilia”

And I can print out any of your cards.

I remember being very hesitant about crypto so I never invested. Several years later, I get it now. These digital cards make so much sense. I’m glad I’m getting in early before it gets really big and too expensive.

What I don't get though, was a similar concern in the Crypto world....Who says they wont just release more of the same moments, eventually? 1 of 1 might end up becoming 1 of 10000 or something. NBA isn't going to care if they screw the original buyers, would they? Kind of like Doge coin... it can be unlimited supply?

Almost all of those so called “memorabilia” cards that companies like to include as inserts were never even game worn or game used. The wording usually states “player worn” or something of tha nature. And by player worn this is basically what you’re getting
280B0F7E-0CA2-4CC7-8A8C-B6ED9B98ECF7.jpeg

he probably wore that oversized jersey for all of 2 minutes and then took it off. Then Topps cuts into pieces and embeds it in a card and calls it “memorabilia”

I understand that, would still take this than over a digital 'game clip'

Back
Top Bottom