Anyone else annoyed by the little amount of ppl that speak english nowadays?

Originally Posted by KRISPACINLA

Originally Posted by LosALMIGHTY

Originally Posted by wren32

If you wanna live here and be accepted learn english it should be required that before you can be a citizen you must be able to fluently speak english that can be understood by most people. I work at finishline and I hate when mexicans come in and cant speak enligsh or have their kid translate for them. pisses me off.
Just Mexicans? At least you're not a complete racist. And how did you know they were Mexican? Do they walk in wearing flags or name tags that read, "Hola, yo soy Mexicano" ?

Deal with it.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
So much ignorance in here. 
tired.gif
Goodness gracious.

Originally Posted by Liquor Poker

The problem real isn't that immigrants don't speak English... the problem is the intolerance, impatience and utter selfishness of those that do speak it and their failure to understand that THIS, in fact, has become the "social fabric" of America.

YOU accept it.
No, that exactly is what the problem is all about - people who come to this country, don't learn the language, fail to integrate and therefore remain at the fringes of society and hold back everyone else.  We should be intolerant of people like that, as most other immigrant groups have come to this country and have managed to integrate in a way that doesn't have the rest of America dragging it's knuckles.

The article that you presented illustrates children of immigrants - most of which are Asian-American. Asian-American children have a much different experience at being able to integrate and excel in school here in this country than other groups.  Graduation and University enrollment statistics prove it. It's safe to assume that all those kids know very good English and will therefore be getting somewhere in life.

Originally Posted by mYKiCkZArEaG21

its funny u bring this up..... brazilians are the WORST wen it comes to this..... have u ever been in best buy and listen to them asking for help?? it goes something like this..... "PLEASE PLEASE do u have 30 JIGGA ipod??"......... YES THEY SAY JIGGA INSTEAD OF GIG LMAOOOOOOOOO...... also have u noticed in best buys that get ALOT of tourist they have signs that say word 4 word "Here Pay" at the registers..... LMAOOOOOOOOO its so funny to me...... also at Nike wen they say the name Nike they dont pronounce the E they say it how they see it....... this is how brazilians ask 4 stuff at Nike "PLEASE PLEASE do have Rift, Tight, Shox??"........ LMAOOOOOOOOO its so funny how they ask 4 things without adding a S to the end of there words....... na but 4REAL if u eva wana no if sum1 is brazilian just check if they have Nike Rifts or Nike Shoxs on with Nike Tights running around Best Buy asking for JIGGA ipods LMAOOOOOOOOO!!! (wen I 1st heard them say that I was like..... "huh Jigga What??..... Hov???" LMAOOO
...you can't be serious

bottom line English never has or will ever be the official language in this country.  if an employer feels as if speaking English fluently is not a job requirement, your only choice is to either adapt to their business practices or seek service elsewhere.

all these xenophobic threads popping up on here are just hilarious to me.  what percentage of the population is actually descendant from British people,,,, something like 5%. no group just arriving speaks English fluently, it has been like that it always will be, because those people that are mass migrating to america are coming from empoverished countries and english isn't their native language. the problem arrises when those who have been previously occupying the jobs that the new group of immagrants are starting to overtake feels threatened because they are being displaced.

it happened when the dutch were mad about the Irish moving in to NY. the Irish decendants were mad when the Chinese migrated and started working on the railroads. now we're seeing it with hispanics moving in from Mexico and South America. And it will happen in the next 25-75 years when Africans and Southern Asians being to migrate here.

maybe since I live in NYC and have been around the myriad of languages that are spoken in different sections of the city, that I'm used to it. There are parts of the city where Russian is the only language spoken, and business signs are all in Russian. the same can be said for Spanish, the same can be said for Mandarin and Cantonese. It's just a sign of America is becoming more of a melting pot and we all will be experiencing it and not just those in major cities.

Originally Posted by mYKiCkZArEaG21

its funny u bring this up..... brazilians are the WORST wen it comes to this..... have u ever been in best buy and listen to them asking for help?? it goes something like this..... "PLEASE PLEASE do u have 30 JIGGA ipod??"......... YES THEY SAY JIGGA INSTEAD OF GIG LMAOOOOOOOOO...... also have u noticed in best buys that get ALOT of tourist they have signs that say word 4 word "Here Pay" at the registers..... LMAOOOOOOOOO its so funny to me...... also at Nike wen they say the name Nike they dont pronounce the E they say it how they see it....... this is how brazilians ask 4 stuff at Nike "PLEASE PLEASE do have Rift, Tight, Shox??"........ LMAOOOOOOOOO its so funny how they ask 4 things without adding a S to the end of there words....... na but 4REAL if u eva wana no if sum1 is brazilian just check if they have Nike Rifts or Nike Shoxs on with Nike Tights running around Best Buy asking for JIGGA ipods LMAOOOOOOOOO!!! (wen I 1st heard them say that I was like..... "huh Jigga What??..... Hov???" LMAOOO
say 'LMAOOOOOO' a little more

SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME wrote:
No, English may not be the official language as stated by law here in the USA, but that's what we speak here and that's how we as Americans communicate and conduct business among one another. When people come here from other countries to immerse themselves in our American culture they learn English, not Spanish or any other language. Any other language besides English remains on the fringes of our social fabric as far as how we live our lives here in this country. Accept it.

This is simply not true. From the start of this country, immigrants from all over spoke many different languages without knowing english... that's what we are all about. A lot of enslaved Africans didn't know english and they basically built this country. This is even more true today... most companies offer their services in spanish. As far as needing to know the language to conduct business, that couldn't be further from the truth. Obviously, lower end jobs in this country don't require english speaking employees (that''s what this post is about), and while we're on the subject of Asian Americans, many Chinese and Indian immigrants have made their way into very high ranks of certain corporations (financial institutions specifically)--and let me be clear... it is NOT because of their ability to communicate with english speaking colleagues or clients, it's because of their skill sets.  Essentially, it's YOU that has to accept it. Spanish is a requirement in most public school systems in this country and the ability to speak english is not a requirement for people moving in, and that's not going to change. Pretty soon Chinese will be a foreign language requirement. The absolute need to speak english in this country is not true, has never been true, and will never be true.

If you live in Arizona or Texas you can't really complain too much. The United States took that land from Mexico, Mexicans are taking it back, just in a more peaceful manner

Back
Top Bottom