Anyone else annoyed with the "GOING GREEN" craze in the media?

A lot of companies are doing this and I think its a great thing. If you look at the information about the pollution rates and how we're killing this Eartha lot of people are taking a second look at what they're doing and thinking about preserving this planet for their children and their children'schildren and so on.

I'm glad that people and companies are doing things like this more now than ever.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Considering this country finds a brand new environmental freak-out every 15 years (or so), I don't really mind it because I know it'll go away eventually. Already the term global warming seems to be losing its top spot as the fad phrase. Now it's just whatever incarnation of "going green." Remember back in the mid-'90s, saving the rainforests was all the rage? (hell, there was even a cartoon movie to brainwash children into being wussy environmentalists). Well, how long did that last? exactly.

This latest craze is just a fad, and it'll die off eventually.
indifferent.gif
at everything in your post

It is a vindication of sorts, for myself and other libertarians, to see the market going green. Most people and firms are probably doing this because of risingenergy costs but nonetheless they are finding whys to create less CO2, without reducing their standard of living. This would make sense because for decades,consumer goods, homes, offices and capital goods (machinery, tools and buildings used by companies to make new products) were made with the assumption of cheapelectricity and gasoline.

Now that those two things are becoming scarcer and the price is rising. It is because of higher prices that businesses and consumers get the message thatenergy is a now scarcer and that it would be smart to economize on the use thereof. As a result, consumers and businesses are buying products that consumeenergy much more efficiently and in doing so they reduce their carbon footprint. Also, you get the rule of diminishing marginal returns working in your favor,the first few changes will make the biggest difference, for example, a factory installs insulation where there was none at all when energy was cheap orconsumers buy. That relatively cheap investment, will drastically reduce total electrical consumption and it does so at a very small cost to both the factoryand society.

In addition to being the most efficient means of conveying information about scarcity, prices do force people economize on things and in the process, carbonemissions can be decreased because of that.

They're using the environmental problem to make money.
You can charge $75 more for a TV if it has a green "environmentally friendly" sticker on it. REAL change will happen when we find an alternate fuel source and stop letting the corporations run this country. The TV adds aren't doing much of anything.

I have much more confidence that breakthroughs in alternative fuel and fuel efficient goods will come from the private sector. Government has been pursuingalternative energy since the Nixon administration and look where that got the cause of alternative energy. Corporations will not deliver viable alternativeenergy out of the goodness of their hearts, it is about the bottom line and the fact that consumers want to use little or no gasoline in the future creates anincentive to invest in research and development that will lead to meaningful breakthroughs. Because profit matters, corporations will invest in things thatshow real promise.

Governments has a totally different set of incentives. It makes "investments" based on other criteria, chiefly the political clout of the recipientof that investment. That explains why government's quest for alternative energy has yielded mostly failures and in the case of corn based, bio fuels, adisaster.

so is this green like the whole Red thing (inspi(red)) except for its about the earth. cause if they do red fund raisers to green ones im guessing the nextfund raiser color is going to be yellow.

Originally Posted by RocSole

I remember watching E!News and they were doing like a segment on celebs who go green and they said some celebrity painted there baby's room green..i was like how is that going green if they paint there baby's room green, that really isn't helping the enviroment

laugh.gif

HMMM im not tired of it, im happy they have actually started to drill this in..it is a huge problem and eventhough the commercials are plagued with these addsi doubt many people will try to support the cause, i have done many storieas about this topic for the newspaper, it is popular but i dont really anyone tryingto change anything....smh

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Considering this country finds a brand new environmental freak-out every 15 years (or so), I don't really mind it because I know it'll go away eventually. Already the term global warming seems to be losing its top spot as the fad phrase. Now it's just whatever incarnation of "going green." Remember back in the mid-'90s, saving the rainforests was all the rage? (hell, there was even a cartoon movie to brainwash children into being wussy environmentalists). Well, how long did that last? exactly.

This latest craze is just a fad, and it'll die off eventually.

a32154c0e3440d1f0ea6839ad270763fe33164a.jpg

Global warming is sooo over rated, its a fact that MOST of the planets are getting warmer, its due to the solar activity... If you dont believe me google...this is all part of the PLAN to hit us with a 1.4 trillion dollar global tax... Dont believe me google... there trying to scare us into submission... this isjust another "get more paper" scheme by the corporate world

Why would anyone be "annoyed"? Regardless if people see it as the thing to do because there's more of a spotlight and even a market for thesekinds of products and services, it outweighs the other garbage that promotes consumption and wasting of resources. It might be a fad or trendy to "gogreen" and there are probably initiatives by those who are less than sincere and trying to cash in on a trend, but why would anyone be opposed to thebigger picture of at least putting a little bit of effort into being more conscious about the decisions one makes? This is coming from someone who tends to becynical to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom