Anyone ever give a best man toast at a wedding??? Vol. Help!!

My father is getting married on Friday and I'm his best man. Any thoughts/ideas on how to start?? Anyone ever given one? Is it okay to read off of a card/paper?? How long should it be? Thanks in advance for the responses. (Yes I know I can google it, just wanted to see what you guys have experienced). Also I've never been to or in a wedding before so I have the slightest clue on how things work.

My father is getting married on Friday and I'm his best man. Any thoughts/ideas on how to start?? Anyone ever given one? Is it okay to read off of a card/paper?? How long should it be? Thanks in advance for the responses. (Yes I know I can google it, just wanted to see what you guys have experienced). Also I've never been to or in a wedding before so I have the slightest clue on how things work.

Well, since he's your dad just say what he has done for you and wish him and his wife all the best.

It shouldn't be more than 30 seconds, imo.

Well, since he's your dad just say what he has done for you and wish him and his wife all the best.

It shouldn't be more than 30 seconds, imo.

Search Youtube if you're 100% clueless, but I agree with the first response. You should talk about how his parenting could relate to being a good spouse. I also think they always joke about "Losing" a friend to the wife.

Search Youtube if you're 100% clueless, but I agree with the first response. You should talk about how his parenting could relate to being a good spouse. I also think they always joke about "Losing" a friend to the wife.

I have to give one in October, I am nervous as well. So let's get these tips rolling in. At the last wedding I was at the best man was funny and his speech was about 2 1/2 mins.

I have to give one in October, I am nervous as well. So let's get these tips rolling in. At the last wedding I was at the best man was funny and his speech was about 2 1/2 mins.

I've given two and kept both short. No one is trying to hear a speech.

Here's the outline I used.

-Congratulate the couple.
-Welcome the bride to the family. (calling her Mrs. ____ )
-Say something about the unification of two families as one.
-"I've know him for x amount of years and have never seen him happier"
-Wish them well, GOD bless...
-The end.

I've given two and kept both short. No one is trying to hear a speech.

Here's the outline I used.

-Congratulate the couple.
-Welcome the bride to the family. (calling her Mrs. ____ )
-Say something about the unification of two families as one.
-"I've know him for x amount of years and have never seen him happier"
-Wish them well, GOD bless...
-The end.

Just gave one yesterday at my best friends wedding actually. I procrastinated and didn't know what I was going to say until yesterday morning. I was nervous as hell the whole day. I told 2 funny stories about him and ended with how they are perfect for each other, blah, blah, blah. I thought it went alright but a lot of people came up to me and said it was an awesome speech. People were laughing throughout. You are supposed to give your speech 3mins after they start serving the salads. I think I counted all 180 seconds. I started off by asking, "Are you guys ready for the best speech ever?" followed by cheers, than I was like "well that comes next when the maid of honor gives hers". I literally thought of that during those 3 mins before giving my speech and it set the tone for my whole speech because everyone was laughing and it grabbed their attention. I didn't want to write mine down because I was afraid I would lose my place when reading it.

Just gave one yesterday at my best friends wedding actually. I procrastinated and didn't know what I was going to say until yesterday morning. I was nervous as hell the whole day. I told 2 funny stories about him and ended with how they are perfect for each other, blah, blah, blah. I thought it went alright but a lot of people came up to me and said it was an awesome speech. People were laughing throughout. You are supposed to give your speech 3mins after they start serving the salads. I think I counted all 180 seconds. I started off by asking, "Are you guys ready for the best speech ever?" followed by cheers, than I was like "well that comes next when the maid of honor gives hers". I literally thought of that during those 3 mins before giving my speech and it set the tone for my whole speech because everyone was laughing and it grabbed their attention. I didn't want to write mine down because I was afraid I would lose my place when reading it.

I heard an opener that I thought was pretty funny, might be inappropriate for your dad though...

"I was once told that the best man's speech should only last as long as the groom can last in bed. Well, goodnight everybody!"

I heard an opener that I thought was pretty funny, might be inappropriate for your dad though...

"I was once told that the best man's speech should only last as long as the groom can last in bed. Well, goodnight everybody!"

Originally Posted by hustleordie

I started off by asking, "Are you guys ready for the best speech ever?" followed by cheers, than I was like "well that comes next when the maid of honor gives hers".
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by hustleordie

I started off by asking, "Are you guys ready for the best speech ever?" followed by cheers, than I was like "well that comes next when the maid of honor gives hers".
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Gave one last year.

Kinda knew what I wanted to say but mostly came off the top. Told a PG yet funny story, told how great of a husband and father my homie would be, and ended with best wishes to the newly weds.  Kept it short not too long of a speech.

I was wasted when I gave the speech too. Luckily I wasn't a sloppy drunk 
laugh.gif
(well I was, much later that night though).

Gave one last year.

Kinda knew what I wanted to say but mostly came off the top. Told a PG yet funny story, told how great of a husband and father my homie would be, and ended with best wishes to the newly weds.  Kept it short not too long of a speech.

I was wasted when I gave the speech too. Luckily I wasn't a sloppy drunk 
laugh.gif
(well I was, much later that night though).

Back
Top Bottom