Anyone Major In Sports Management? Or Have Job In The Field?

Originally Posted by JJUVE

i graduated from St. John's University this past May, and i can tell you thats jobs in the New York City area (over 10 pro sports teams including MLS and AFL, plus numerous smaller minor league teams) are very hard too come by. My job search has has been pretty miserable since graduation and i know lot of friends who i graduated with haven't had any luck either, some blame the SPM field, some blame the economy for the lack of jobs. i have one friend who currently shoots t shirts out of that bazooka gun for the NJ Nets during halftime, and one who essentially is a tele marketer for the Knicks, as he cold calls people asking them to buy season ticket packages.

My brother graduated from SJU 4 years ago, he started off unemployed for a year, then worked in ticket sales for the knicks for a year and hated it, then spent another year without a job and is currently working for AMC in advertising (which is apart of cablevision who owns MSG, eff James Dolan). He has no plans of getting back into Sports Management.

what it really comes down too is a lot of 17 or 18 year old kids who like sports and love ESPN and Nike get into the field thinking it going to be fun and glamorous, but its not at all. There's very little money in the field unless you hit the jackpot essentially. I realized around the end of my junior year that i was seriously screwed and had wished i hadn't chosen this major. Maybe NYC is too over loaded with young college grads that love sports, so you might have some better luck then me....i hop you do
Exactly what I said on the last page. The opening salary in SPM is $30k/yr. You are going to have to have a second job or have your parentssupport you for a while until you start making moves. Everyone starts out in sales so unless you can work your magic over the phone it is not the business foryou.

i mean, you're basically getting a dumbed down business degree that won't be worth as much as a regular one
I mentioned that in our convo. yesterday via PM. Like Craftsy said, get the regular degree. SPM courses don't really teach you the businessaspect of the sport industry. You might get a chapter mention of business in a textbook but other than that if you don't have any other business exp. youaren't helping your cause.

If you want to work in sports - get a business degree and work with your schools sports teams and go from there.

That's a problem in itself. Most of the time it's only SPM students that are allowed to work with the athletic department. You are going to have to getvery lucky to work with them if you are a regular business student.

All i can tell you is that anything regarding Professional Sports its not what you know its who you know. If you don't have an excellent personality orhave a head start from connections then your not going anywhere in this business.

The same could also be said about most careers.

Id suggest to get stick with Finance, Marketing or Communications. All have more options after graduating and may lead you into a Sports Management job.

Sales is horrible
sick.gif
if its for you and you can bear it you have an advantage over most mortals
smh.gif

Dang looks like I'm searching for a new major
ohwell.gif

Would anyone recommend an economics degree? I'm in macro-econ right now and it's pretty interesting, but whats job security, pay, work load like? Wouldit be good to go the route of grad school? Soph. in comm. college btw.

I was gonna go to purdue for this but end up with criminal justice as my major. SOme dude told me he tried getting a job with the major but it was impossible,thinkign you goona get 6 figures or hit the jackpot is unbelievebly rare

I'm going for a PhD in Sports Management next year, still weighing my offers.

It's a tricky major but its not its definitely worthwhile if you play it right. most of the people I did undergrad with are not in sports anymore becausethey didn't take the right moves or work hard enough. The sports industry is not unlike the film industry, it takes a lot of low paying dirty work payingyour dues to get anywhere at all.

The one piece of advice I would have is to specialize. Unlike accounting, finance or a medical job where you basically know what you're doing. In sportsyou have to pick something and go for it. If you think you can just take all the classes, get the degree and land a job you're mistaken. You need to seewhat job you want, see what it involves and take real steps towards getting there. You can't just go around saying "I'm going to work insports" otherwise you're guaranteed to not be.

Do internships from day 1 that give you real responsibility to see what its all about. Stay hungry cause it's the only way. Look into a double major or atleast a minor to make yourself more marketable.

INTERNSHIPS

contact people that work for the team. you can usually find their info in the media guide. but its a tough industry to break into

journalism is journalism brotha. you go into a sports information office at a university or whatever you'll find journalists and statisticians. sportmanagement background would help you go from assistant sports info director -> full SID/media relations -> asst athletic director/external services ->AD. but sports management won't necessarily help you be a sportswriter unless you got proven skills to back it up.

Examples of sport management jobs:
event management/logistics
sport marketing/promotions
equipment manager
recreation director at a hotel/park
ticket sales (most common)
media relations/sports information (with journalism background too)
facility management
compliance (huge and getting bigger)
sport law
sport finance
athletic director/coach (high school, colleges etc) (aka administration)

etc etc but like I said above you need to specialize

Originally Posted by Mr Subliminals

Word true? Hows it been coming?
So far its a good look. For the most part during the summer we were doing community outreach here in Brooklyn seeing as how they're supposedto be moving here (
indifferent.gif
) . Season just got underway so I should be getting more of the same and probably more internship work for my credits.

Other than that I'm tryin to get my name in there for the NY Jets/Giants/Knicks. We'll see how that goes.

JJUVE- You graduated from SJU? I'm there now, why didn't you try and get something worked out with Prof.Missere....unless you already tried in vein
nerd.gif

Everyone should also link up with their Comm. Dept and get on their email list. I go to the University of Maryland and they send me emails of all internshipsand jobs in the DC area. Also this semester they brought in people from the Wizards,Nats, and the AD of our school. Was a great networking and time to picktheir brains.

True,

You go to SJU? Damn my dude, me too. Im a Senior though...Staten Island campus, Im out in Queens a lot for different events, orientation leader stuff, had theflag football "all star" game out there like 2 weeks ago lol.

Im a Sports Management major (with a business minor). I managed to score an internship with the Knicks/Rangers this past spring at the Garden, and worked inthe team operations department under Mark Piazza. Honestly, it was DOPE.

Like dudes said though, it seemingly is who you know and not what you know, at least in terms of a full time job. I got an interview with the Garden through aninternship fair on the Queens campus last fall. (GO TO THOSE, THEY ARE INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT.) Would you believe the chick that gave me my second interview, whoended up being one of my bosses, was an SJU alum (she was like 26,27). That DEFINITELY helped, believe me. On top of that, her BROTHER was a professor at St.Johns and I had him for a class (didnt find that out till the end of my run there).

Connections didnt help me get the intership interview per say, I think my resume and initial presentation of myself did that, nor did they help during my firstinterview (my second interviewer being an alum helped with the hire, sure), but the connections I made from interning should help after I graduate. Even if Idont go back to work in the same department, I met a bunch of people while working there and to be able to maybe forward my resume to some of them will help.

Is the starting salary for a SPMGT job going to be great? Probably not...but make conections and bust your butt, to get a job in the field if you truly lovesports. Me personally? I dont have the patience, desire, attitude or whatever you wanna call it to major in something like finance, or architecture, orsomething that wont interest me.

I dont wanna work at a place full time that really isnt where I want to be. So Id rather stick with the sports field, where I'll be happier (potentially)making less money but being around something I love. Again, thats just me.

I kinda went off on a rant, but theyre mostly just my points of view, as a senior sport management major.

P.S. I went for this years internship/job fair out in queens a few weeks ago. MSG, the NY Islanders, the Long Island Ducks, NY Mets video production dept werethere, not much more than that though for SPM majors.

My roommate got a call from the Knicks last week, hes goin for an internship interview next Friday. The Islanders just hit me up today, Im about to call themback. Maybe nothing materializes, but just an example that stuff like job and internship fairs help to create those important connections.

I didn't get a Sports Management degree, I ended up with a Broadcast Journalism/English degree, however, I've been in the sports industry for 4 yearsso hopefully I can be of some assistance.

I really got a late start, but I would recommend to anyone that they intern their *++ off while they are in school. I only interned my last year, with the LAAvengers (AFL) and the LA Clippers. I got to know some good people there, which I still communicate with.

I ended up getting a paid job with the Dodgers for the beginning of the 2007 season. If you don't love it, I wouldn't recommend pursuing it. A lot ofpeople get burned out doing this, the hours are crazy, and not socially friendly. The pay isn't market value either, since you get paid with"perks".

I'm in Stadium Operations btw, and we handle all the events that take place at Dodger Stadium, during the games, when the team is away, in the off season.

The schedule is friendly right now, basically M-F, 9-5 unless there is an event scheduled during the weekend.

During the season, the schedule is rough. When the team is on the road, it is 9-5. However, homestands are crazy. Typical day starts at 10-11am and ends atthe conclusion of the game. You are putting in 12 hour days for 7-10 days straight. Also, you can get out at 12am-1am and have to come back to the office at6am for a day/getaway game (
sick.gif
). During the season you feel as if younever leave the office. You are working weekends and holidays, if the team is playing you are working.

The good thing is when the game starts,everything is done on my end, so I get to watch the game, almost uninterrupted (One of the perks). So if you enjoy it,love it, then you will like the career. If not, the hours will kill you.

Personally, when money is tight, it makes my mind wander to other jobs/careers where I could be making more money and it sounds enticing. Then I think ofbeing in the locker room after the Dodgers swept the Cubs and getting sprayed with Moet by Mark Sweeney and it makes everything better,
roll.gif

I went in with aspirations of being a sportswriter, but I ended up enjoying working for a team.

It takes a lot of sacrifice and it will take a toll on anyone both mentally and physically. Personally, it is worth it.

In LA, there are plenty of options. AEG is big down here with Nokia, LA Live, Staples, etc. My experience far outweighs my education at this point anyway andI know people pretty much anywhere. I am going for my Masters, since it has always been a goal of mine.

Best advice I was given by higher ups is, it doesn't matter where you went to school or what you got your degree in (Not all positions of course), if youstack your resume with experience you will land a job.

If you want to work in sports, get started in your own school, try to somehow get into the athletic department and work for them. Especially if it has a major sports program. It is a good way of gaining valuable experience without having any experience at all. Plus, you will get a feel if you like it or not. Try to land as many internships as you can, and keep in contact with those people. If you are working near an arena/stadium, get a job as an usher. It ispart time, college student friendly and it will allow you to see the inner workings of an organization/venue.

Great stuff Iron Man. I hope to one day land a full time gig similar to yours, long days and all, its exactly what Im looking for. Mustve been nice bein in thelocker room after the Dodgers won.

It sucks man. I graduated from Tennessee in May with a Sport Mangement degree. I regret not going to school for something involving Computers
smh.gif
. During myUndergrad I tried to work as many Operations/Management positions I could so I would not have to do sales after I graduated. My sophmore year I interned in ourticket office from Aug-Dec then left there to manage the Track & Field Team for 2 years. It was pretty cool job because I was only there during thepractice hours which was only like 2 or 3 hours a day plus I got to travel around alot. When I graduated in May the 2 offers I had on the table were for anInside sales rep for the Marlins and Operations & Logistics Intern for the Atlanta Falcons. I took the Falcons position even though I knew it was just forTraining Camp because the Marlins have like the worst attendance in baseball and I didnt really have any cold call experience.

I was pissed when I didnt get offered a full-time position at the end of camp because I worked my @!$ off there. I started work at 6am and normally didntfinish until around 10:30 or 11pm 7 days a week. They also screwed me with the pay because they only paid for 40 hours and if yall do the math you can see Igot to 40 hours working the schedule i did at about sometime on Tuesday. But you cant really do anything about that or youll burn your bridges which is whymost companies take advantage of you if youre an intern. I finished there the 3rd game of preseason and JUST THIS WEEK found a job working for a ticketingcompany in NJ and my first day will be on Monday. Sales was the last thing I wanted to do but now I have to settle for that because theres no Operationspositions out there and the ones that are are for unpaid internships.

Fresh, I thought you were doing your thing down there with the Atlanta Falcons...or maybe I was mislead.

True,
I spent my 4 years on the Staten Island campus and as every SPM major on the SI campus knows, Prof. Missere is very hard to come by. In my 4 years at theschool i saw him 3 times for my end of semester "assessment" and i can tell you that there are very few people in this world that i like less thenProf. Missere. In my opinion, he is nothing more then a man on a power trip who enjoys putting down his student and making himself feel more important in theprocess...he was of no help to me what so ever, maybe you have a different opinion and if you can get him too help you out then take what he can give you andconsider yourself one of the lucky ones.

BlackredXii,
You're a senior at SJU in SI, then we had too have more then a couple classes together, I'm surprised you didn't see me see me searching NT duringduring one of Nugent's classes lol. I considered applying for one of the MSG internships that you're talking about and i would probably be in a lotbetter of a situation right now if i did, but from what I understood MSG wanted you too work 40 hours a week without pay, and my entire senior year i took 18credits a semester, plus worked 2 part time jobs in order to keep myself afloat so i just couldn't do it.

All i can say that being a recent college grad these days is tough. Blame the economy of whatever you want, but no matter if your a SPM major, finance major,marketing major or a journalism major, jobs are scarce out there. And personally, i feel like i pigeon holed myself by choosing such a specific major. If youwant to do then do it. The classes might be a cake walk but just know that its the complete opposite once you graduate.

Back
Top Bottom