Anyone majoring or have a degree in Computer Science?

I'm starting college in the Fall of 2009, and I'm still debating whether I should major in Computer Science or not.

I've googled it and it offers jobs such as Computer Analyst, Computer Programmer, writing Computer Data, and etc. etc.

It sounds kind of boring, so I'm not sure.

Pros? Cons? Thanks NT.

I work in IT now, and could be getting paid more if i had a degree in computer science or information systems. Do it bro, computers are always advancing, whichmeans there will always be jobs working with them. Even in this economy, the IT field is still hiring. I wish I stayed in school and got my degree. Somemanagers get paid 80K-100K/yr.

I'd like to know about this too. I'm either going for electrical engineering or computer science.
Does computer science have a lot to do with programming language? If so, I'll probably go for electrical engineering

^ From some of the google results I read, it seems like it. Such as Programmer, Analyst, and writing data.

tee eye ehm - What's your job at IT? And how much do you get paid? (Salary, an hour, etc.) If you don't mind me asking.

I have a degree in Computer Science. There's so many sub-fields in CS that you can pretty much do anything computer related. Don't major in somethingbecause of the money. Major in what you love.

Thats wat i'm majoring in... i could see y ppl say its boring... but if you're interested in computers then its actually pretty interesting....

it also pays good...

I'm somewhat interested in computers. It was either Computer Science or Accounting, but if I would've chose accounting then I'd have to take my SATagain to meet the requirements to get into that department at the college I'm going to.

I don't wanna take the SAT again cause I'd have to pay and eh, my parents already got too much things to worry about, so I don't wanna be a bother.

Hmm, I'm good with computers basically. But I'm not really familiar with the big stuff, I don't even really know how to use a Mac.
laugh.gif

Would I be lost when I get into CS classes?

Originally Posted by PLAYOFF12

I'm somewhat interested in computers. It was either Computer Science or Accounting, but if I would've chose accounting then I'd have to take my SAT again to meet the requirements to get into that department at the college I'm going to.

I don't wanna take the SAT again cause I'd have to pay and eh, my parents already got too much things to worry about, so I don't wanna be a bother.

Hmm, I'm good with computers basically. But I'm not really familiar with the big stuff, I don't even really know how to use a Mac.
laugh.gif

I would def start off with some certificates then go from there

I'd like to know about this too. I'm either going for electrical engineering or computer science.
Does computer science have a lot to do with programming language? If so, I'll probably go for electrical engineering

I'm switching form Software Engineering to Computer Science. Computer Science is more theoretical compared to an ECE type program. In my experience, they dteach programming principles, but they don't teach specific programming languages (that's more where individual certifications come in)

I'm somewhat interested in computers. It was either Computer Science or Accounting, but if I would've chose accounting then I'd have to take my SAT again to meet the requirements to get into that department at the college I'm going to.

laugh.gif

It depends... my first semester when i took 101 i thought i would be fine... but i was a little lost... it seemed like some things they taught youshould've already learned... so u might feel behind or lost at times...

just make sure you ask questions if you dont understand... everything builds on one another so if u dont learn the basics its gonna kill u later

trapmuzik617 - Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Was it hard to catch along?

Hmm, anyone got any ideas of what I can do so I can keep up whenever I get into my classes?
frown.gif

Well that first semester i had to drop it
laugh.gif
... i just wasn't takin it serious... took it the next semester tho and did pretty well

if you're havin a tough time dont be afraid to ask for help... or set up an appointment with your professor... they can help... and its their job

Man are you serious? It's like less than $50 to take it and I'm pretty sure they have fee waivers if you just ask. If you are gonna be that lazy thenCS isn't for you.

I've already took the SAT twice and used both fee waivers already. And it's about $45 bucks to take it, it's not good timing for my parents rightnow. So I'm not tryna bother for money, my mom's in the hospital and got hospital bills stacking up and plenty of other bills.

I'm not lazy, I have good grades and I'm willing to do the work.

I was just asking about the pros and cons of CS.

you can always switch majors when youre in school...

any of you doing security? i dont understand why i need to learn java and php first
laugh.gif

^ Yeah I know, but I wanna try to be set and stick with something. That way I can set my mind on something and finish school earlier.

Care to explain security to me?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by nkwu11

I'm switching form Software Engineering to Computer Science. Computer Science is more theoretical compared to an ECE type program. In my experience, they d teach programming principles, but they don't teach specific programming languages (that's more where individual certifications come in)

Im in software engineering. Tough decision between CS and SE.

cs major for a semester....dropped out of it easily....I aced the courses but it is just soooooooooo boring to me

bns1201 - What did you change your major to?

Right now, I guess I'm gonna try out a CS course for a semester or two and see how I feel about it afterwards.

Well since we are in this topic I'm going to devry for computer science is that a good idea or just go to community college

I have a Masters in Comp Sci., if you don't like math or thinking analytically then it's not the major for you.

Like someone else said, major in something you love, not for the money.

Also, think about this...

Comp Sci
Chem E
Biology were the hardest majors at my Alma Mater.

If you aren't up to hard work, look elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom