Anyone mess with exotic fruits? Post some that people aren't up on.

Gill Baka Esq. LLC.

formerly grimlock
Summer is near and I remember seeing a thread like this made a while ago.  While some sliced mango or coconut is cool for the summer I feel that theirs alot more that people aren't up on that are region/ethnicity specific.  Time to "diversify your bonds"

West-Indies people should recognize this one

[h3]
[h3]Local names[/h3]
It is known as mamoncillomamón, and ackee (in St. LuciaBarbados). However, in the rest of the Caribbean, the latter name is used to refer to the related Blighia sapida), and the fruit is called chenette (in Trinidad and Tobago), guayagnepguinep (in Jamaica), skinnip (in St. Kitts), genipguinepginnipkenèp (in Dominica,GuyanaHaitiBelizeBahamas) an in some parts of Central Americatalpa jocotecanepaquenepa (in Puerto Rico), genepaxenepakenepa (in Curaçao), knippa (in Suriname) and Spanish lime and limoncillo(in the Dominican Republic).[sup][citation needed][/sup]
[/h3]

[h2]great summer snack, probably closely related to lychee, basically its a seed with a flesh like covering (the part you eat).[/h2][h2]
[/h2]
img_5080-copy.jpg

tumblr_lfwwhxPUei1qcwv3uo1_400.jpg

find a good bunch of these and call it a day.

Summer is near and I remember seeing a thread like this made a while ago.  While some sliced mango or coconut is cool for the summer I feel that theirs alot more that people aren't up on that are region/ethnicity specific.  Time to "diversify your bonds"

[h3]
[h3]Local names[/h3]
It is known as mamoncillomamón, and ackee (in St. LuciaBarbados). However, in the rest of the Caribbean, the latter name is used to refer to the related Blighia sapida), and the fruit is called chenette (in Trinidad and Tobago), guayagnepguinep (in Jamaica), skinnip (in St. Kitts), genipguinepginnipkenèp (in Dominica,GuyanaHaitiBelizeBahamas) an in some parts of Central Americatalpa jocotecanepaquenepa (in Puerto Rico), genepaxenepakenepa (in Curaçao), knippa (in Suriname) and Spanish lime and limoncillo(in the Dominican Republic).[sup][citation needed][/sup]
[/h3]

[h2]great summer snack, probably closely related to lychee, basically its a seed with a flesh like covering (the part you eat).[/h2][h2]
[/h2]
img_5080-copy.jpg

tumblr_lfwwhxPUei1qcwv3uo1_400.jpg

find a good bunch of these and call it a day.

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

[h3]
[h3]Local names[/h3]
[/h3]

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. was literally gone post the ginnips... damn

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

[h3]
[h3]Local names[/h3]
[/h3]

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn. was literally gone post the ginnips... damn

Durian fruit..... wouldn't ever try it though. Did some reading on it and people say it smells like a rotting corpse.

Durian fruit..... wouldn't ever try it though. Did some reading on it and people say it smells like a rotting corpse.

Durian...smells so bad Andrew Zimmern couldn't eat it
eek.gif
. My Asian family can devour this fruit in seconds.
laugh.gif
I used to eat these quite a lot when I lived in Vietnam, but nowadays, not so much.
durian_malaysia.jpg

Durian...smells so bad Andrew Zimmern couldn't eat it
eek.gif
. My Asian family can devour this fruit in seconds.
laugh.gif
I used to eat these quite a lot when I lived in Vietnam, but nowadays, not so much.
durian_malaysia.jpg

for me the worst thing about Durian isn't the smell but the texture of the fruit.

it's like eating something that has been pre chewed

we used to have a tree at our old house.
ifq5tt.jpg

theres a huge tree a few houses down filled with these, and the home owners dont even eat them, so every night when i walk my dog i try to get a couple, sometimes a branch

loquats...so damn good
pimp.gif

we used to have a tree at our old house.
ifq5tt.jpg

theres a huge tree a few houses down filled with these, and the home owners dont even eat them, so every night when i walk my dog i try to get a couple, sometimes a branch

loquats...so damn good
pimp.gif

for me the worst thing about Durian isn't the smell but the texture of the fruit.

it's like eating something that has been pre chewed

yo in order to put your bro's down you gotta atleast name the damn thing
laugh.gif

also I wanna add these in the mix...yellow dates.

they take some getting used to, not really exceptionally sweet but once you get used to them their great. Leave a wierd parched taste in your mouth but I like em.

B8KTR8.jpg

star fruit

eat_star_fruit_f6c7da49cc37f77aabd5caa426a5f776.jpg

Back
Top Bottom