Anyone on NT into sailing? Looking for recommendations

Interested in bareboat chartering but I have no experience. I plan on taking courses at a local boating school and get a cert. Is that enough for a charter company to let me rent a boat? If not, what can I do to increase my experience and improve my "sailing resume?"

Also, can anyone recommend a good forum for discussing sailing? Btw I am from SoCal so if you have any specific school recommendations that would be great too
smile.gif
TIA!

Interested in bareboat chartering but I have no experience. I plan on taking courses at a local boating school and get a cert. Is that enough for a charter company to let me rent a boat? If not, what can I do to increase my experience and improve my "sailing resume?"

Also, can anyone recommend a good forum for discussing sailing? Btw I am from SoCal so if you have any specific school recommendations that would be great too
smile.gif
TIA!

My wife's uncle has a 36' Hunter, and we sailed San Diego Bay with it.  I remember it being kind of entertaining, but also kind of boring.  Sail boats typically don't go very fast.  Other than that, any type of boating is going to be expensive.  I suggest finding someone with relatives that own boats so you don't have to pay for it.  E.G. - My father in law has a Tiara 2900 Open (power boat), and then the aforementioned uncle.  If I ever wanted to go out on the ocean, we just gave them a call and they jumped at the opportunity to entertain and take us out (boating fanatics).  Each of them dump thousands of dollars each year into their boats for upkeep, harbor slip, etc.  That's my suggestion, marry rich.

My wife's uncle has a 36' Hunter, and we sailed San Diego Bay with it.  I remember it being kind of entertaining, but also kind of boring.  Sail boats typically don't go very fast.  Other than that, any type of boating is going to be expensive.  I suggest finding someone with relatives that own boats so you don't have to pay for it.  E.G. - My father in law has a Tiara 2900 Open (power boat), and then the aforementioned uncle.  If I ever wanted to go out on the ocean, we just gave them a call and they jumped at the opportunity to entertain and take us out (boating fanatics).  Each of them dump thousands of dollars each year into their boats for upkeep, harbor slip, etc.  That's my suggestion, marry rich.

damn good stuff man, thanks for the info and posting pics. yeah i'm not looking into purchasing a boat right now, i'm only 23. i just want to take classes and be able to charter sail boats once in awhile.

do you know how much your wife's uncle paid for his 36' hunter?

damn good stuff man, thanks for the info and posting pics. yeah i'm not looking into purchasing a boat right now, i'm only 23. i just want to take classes and be able to charter sail boats once in awhile.

do you know how much your wife's uncle paid for his 36' hunter?

I think around $180k, and that was from the original owner who tried his hand at sailing but didn't really care for it.

I think around $180k, and that was from the original owner who tried his hand at sailing but didn't really care for it.

Back
Top Bottom