Anyone work for UPS as a Package Handler ?

Originally Posted by Young Stutta

Originally Posted by hankthetank

I work there. You start at $8.50 an hour. You are probably going to unloading or loading trailers. They hire anybody that is motivated to work there so interview is easy. The shifts last 3-4 hours a day. If you're a student this might be perfect PT job. UPS target students that are going to school. They do offer tuition assistance. After a year they offer health insurance. Expect to bust your +%% the whole shift non-stop like a robot. You'll be exhausted everyday till you're body get use to it. That should last for 2-3 weeks. It's a workout so plan to sweat and drink alot of water. UPS has a high turn over rate. You'll see people come and go. Some locations they have bbq each month. They feed you hamburgers, hotdogs, chips, and pop. After 30 days you gain seniority and join the union. Everything is base on seniority at UPS. Don't expect to move up if you do plan on staying with the company anytime soon.
co-sign
(been there 2 years)

co-sign worked there 3 1/2 years. Was first a loader then became a supervisor (did it for the money)

publicityphotos_pict3_lg.jpg

for some reason i thought of my man doug from king of queens
laugh.gif

can you work up to be a driver or is that a whole different thing.
my friend is working the 3am shift at UPS and he's like a walking zombie since he's not use to the time.

I know they late on my package today! just called UPS and she said it should be here in an hour, that makes 8:30pm!! UPS slippin

I used to work at UPS....hours were good, got paid 8.50....weekends off, got food every friday....

only thing was the job got really boring, and getting misloads really pissed the supervisors off...

Originally Posted by SUCKAFREE85

$110-$150 a week???? F that.

Yeah, but it's good in the sense that it allows you the "normal" hours of the day to get a full time job. That is nice because (depending on yourspending habits) you can use the UPS paycheck for buying things you want, and dedicate your full time job to save up, pay bills, pay back loans,invest...whatever. Or vice versa.

thanks for the input

readin/hearin alot of pros and cons, some more than others.
but really, NON stop with like one 10 minute break? or as ive heard.. @@%

is it a pretty much guaranteed job tho? should i just apply for the closest location, or all 3? and it was mentioned they target students, i aint been toschool in over 6 months
laugh.gif
. but it should be all good tho right?

and are those back supports necessary (meaning does it really take a toll on your body/back like that?) i mean i don't mind the workout, but back pain is a*#!!*
do they provide them?
u know like one of these
cat224.jpg

they teach you how to properly lift. UPS doesn't provide you with anything except for maybe gloves or bottle of water sometimes. Apply for the closestlocation unless you're willing to travel. It's a guaranteed job if you want it. You don't have to be a student going to school but as long asyou're young and ready for hard work they will consider you. Take advantage of their benefits if you can.

Originally Posted by DMan14

publicityphotos_pict3_lg.jpg

for some reason i thought of my man doug from king of queens
laugh.gif

can you work up to be a driver or is that a whole different thing.
my friend is working the 3am shift at UPS and he's like a walking zombie since he's not use to the time.

everything is by seniority. The longer you're with the company the better chance you have but there are others alway ahead of you.

Originally Posted by thugstareaper

I work there. You start at $8.50 an hour. You are probably going to unloading or loading trailers. They hire anybody that is motivated to work there so interview is easy. The shifts last 3-4 hours a day. If you're a student this might be perfect PT job. UPS target students that are going to school. They do offer tuition assistance. After a year they offer health insurance. Expect to bust your +%% the whole shift non-stop like a robot. You'll be exhausted everyday till you're body get use to it. That should last for 2-3 weeks. It's a workout so plan to sweat and drink alot of water. UPS has a high turn over rate. You'll see people come and go. Some locations they have bbq each month. They feed you hamburgers, hotdogs, chips, and pop. After 30 days you gain seniority and join the union. Everything is base on seniority at UPS. Don't expect to move up if you do plan on staying with the company anytime soon.
co-sign
(been there 2 years)

co-sign worked there 3 1/2 years. Was first a loader then became a supervisor (did it for the money)

how much did you make as pt supervisor?

when i put in my zip code...the two locations w/in 25 miles: one says "backup" the other says "accepting for future positions"

so does that mean they arent hiring?

Originally Posted by thugstareaper

co-sign
(been there 2 years)

how much did make as pt supervisor?

PT Supervisors are given a salary not hourly and i started off at $750/Bi-Weekly and every 6 month your salary is raised based on your areas performance andhow well you handle your workers. You can become a supervisor after probation. When i got out my salary was about $920/Bi-Weekly before taxes. You also getbonuses every 3 months if your whole HUB does well with missorts, scans, and productivity, etc.

the thing i like about UPS, is here in Louisville, if you work the night shift, they pay FULL TUITION! and will even pay 65$ on each of your books. You cantget much better then that.

Its cool..I been there almost three years while in college...I hope to get on as a full time sup upon graduation...if not..i might be a pt sup for a year or soand then use that experience to move on..

But as for the job..its hardest in the summer due to heat, and peak season due to the long hours..your check however will greatly benefit from the latter...Ibegan as an unloader, then in three months was on the sort aisle...Now im up in small sort..so my job is dealing with no package over 9 lbs..lol..I love thepeople there and you WILL find some characters..the old timers are FUNNY...

yeah everyone at UPS is a character. I have been there for about 9 months, started as a loader, just got moved to small sort last week and its sooo mucheasier.
pimp.gif

i got a 2nd job at fedex and its not that hard..i weigh less than you..i'm the smallest person on my side yet i'm one of the best in the building..youdont have to be super strong to lift the boxes..i can lift up to 80lbs..but usually i just leave them on the floor and stack on top of them with the lighterboxes

Originally Posted by tylerhundley

Originally Posted by ii FLaSh ii

I just got off work from UPS. night shift FTL. I dont know if every where is the same as my work. I work in the biggest UPS hub in the world (Louisville, KY) so we probably get 2x more packages through our system a night. It isnt bad at all. I would recommend it.
I just got out of work also... What is the average volume during your shift?

peak season it was around 1.3 million a night, its slowing down now and its been about 800,000 a night for a week or two, give or take. What do yall push a night?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
But I guess there is a lot more people working there... When I was working in Orlando, we would average 115,000 a night... Now Iwork in the hub in Queens and we average 80,000... They transferred me and I was able to keep my pay, vacation days and all the good stuff... Overall thecompany isn't bad except when the supervisors get annoying about pushing for production, but I just do me and ignore them... Oh and watch the hours youdo, because they will try to g you for some time... Its a UPS thing and I dont understand how it hasnt been issued amonsgt them...

And yes, tuition assistance is the best... I'm actually waiting for my $1870 check
nerd.gif
pimp.gif

I just got off work from UPS. night shift FTL. I dont know if every where is the same as my work. I work in the biggest UPS hub in the world (Louisville, KY) so we probably get 2x more packages through our system a night. It isnt bad at all. I would recommend it.

peak season it was around 1.3 million a night, its slowing down now and its been about 800,000 a night for a week or two, give or take. What do yall push a night?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
But I guess there is a lot more people working there... When I was working in Orlando, we would average 115,000 a night... Now I work in the hub in Queens and we average 80,000... They transferred me and I was able to keep my pay, vacation days and all the good stuff... Overall the company isn't bad except when the supervisors get annoying about pushing for production, but I just do me and ignore them... Oh and watch the hours you do, because they will try to g you for some time... Its a UPS thing and I dont understand how it hasnt been issued amonsgt them...

And yes, tuition assistance is the best... I'm actually waiting for my $1870 check
nerd.gif
pimp.gif

eek.gif
frown.gif
i wish we only did 80,000 a night lol that would be like a vacation to me
laugh.gif

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
But I guess there is a lot more people working there... When I was working in Orlando, we would average 115,000 a night... Now I work in the hub in Queens and we average 80,000... They transferred me and I was able to keep my pay, vacation days and all the good stuff... Overall the company isn't bad except when the supervisors get annoying about pushing for production, but I just do me and ignore them... Oh and watch the hours you do, because they will try to g you for some time... Its a UPS thing and I dont understand how it hasnt been issued amonsgt them...

nerd.gif
pimp.gif

eek.gif
frown.gif
i wish we only did 80,000 a night lol that would be like a vacation to me
laugh.gif

Yea but thats probably the equivalent, since I know for sure my hub is a lot smaller... I get like 1500 a night, if im in the mood to load... If not I get like1000...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by georgehimself

I handle packages all of the time. If you want to be discreet, I can deliver through the rear. First class all the way.
I'm not sure what to make of this post
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom