Anyone Work the Graveyard Shift Vol: I feel like im slowly dying

I heard that it messes with your metabolism. The body begins to crave bad foods at night which in turn leads you to gain weight.

Even though I'm a night person, I still don't think I could work a night shift.

ok lemme get this righ , work 9 pm-5 am.............go to bed at 6 when everyones waking up mad at the world and tired , wake up around lunch ....eat shop playball (refreshed) than eat again maybe watchsome tv andgo to work .....people who get up at 6 in the morning to go to work are usually dead by 5pm...........NOTHING happens on weekdays from 6am-2pm

I been doing this shift at UPS for the last 2 years... Its not bad at all except for the fact I cant go out at night... But it doesn't bother me thatmuch... I like it much better than working in the morning where you got to wake up so early... But I know eventually ill have to do the morning shift when Igraduate
smh.gif

I'm working graveyard (11pm-7am) for the first time in my life tonight and thursday and friday. it'll be just these 3 times I hope.

idk what to do, I'm trying to sleep a little right now but can't, any tips to staying awake overnight?

oh and I'm not doing ish, I work at a boys group home and the will be asleep. the whole time.

there also might not be weefee so I can't take my laptop to watch prawn  movies.

I told them in the interview I couldn't do graveyards but my manager told me it'll just be this week.

minimal jimmy rustlage.

I'm going to take a nappy nap and I better wake up to some helpful advice, if not, I'm going to be super mad at NT.

Work nights at the hospital med/surge , it's quiet mostly just chill watching movie box , it's easier then working days and extra $$ for nights , plus it feels like I don't work cuz I leave when everyone is going to sleep and come home when everyone is just getting up , just manage your sleep if you do sleep a few naps and I'm good mostly , and I use to work days for 4 yrs never again , to much hassle for less pay

Staying awake is easy; if you get sleepy stand up and pace slowly, caffeine in small dosages throughout the night.

If you can, make the work area as bright as possible.
Time will pass faster with TV/Movies but unless you've trained you internal clock, they will put you to sleep.

Sleep as soon as you get home/ NyQuil out if any doubts about not being able to sleep. It's better to take something to sleep rather than toss and turn debating to get up or not.

Eat apples, cheese, tomatoes, high protein foods.

Don't eat a huge meal, snack.
Drink plenty of water.

If you get tired, set a timer/alarm to go off ever 15-20 min. If you fall asleep you've got a plan to wake you up.

Don't be totally afraid to power nap. Just make sure to "pop" up and not drag the wake-up time out.

Nights are amazing.
I work 11-7 with Sunday and Thursday nights off. If you are pro, you can work Saturday night and nap from 7am-9am Sunday then stay up until 11pm or midnight sleep until 8am and stay up until you work that night. Doing this for both nights off is like working 5 shifts with 4 days off.

I listen to about 35 hours of sports radio a week during football season, and audio books during off season. I read A Song of Ice and Fire series in 6 weeks.

Let us know how the nights go.

it sucked. 

I ended up knocking out from like 1:30 to like 4 something, then time went super slow after that.

I drank vitamin water and ate cashews. I did find out that I could take my laptop and turn the tv on.

not only did it suck, I gradually felt this cold getting worse throughout the night 
mean.gif

I'm going back to night shift starting in january. Working night shift isn't bad. I feel like going to school after work drains your body

I gotta work at night waaaaaah :rofl:

Nah, for real though I did it for 5 years straight. Was hard at first but eventually I got in a groove because it was Mon-Fri 10p-6a, no alternating times or nothing. When I went out on weekends my peeps used always ask me you ain't tired since I used to be bright eyed and bushy tailed at 4-5am. :lol: Things I did that helped were getting black blinds so my room was as dark as possible during daylight. I also tried to come home and stay up until at least 12-2pm and then go to sleep. Most times it would be 3-5p that I went to sleep, but I was able to nap on my "2 hour" lunch. When I stopped it took almost a year for me to go back to a regular night sleeping pattern, ish was nutz. Check some info out I found out about afterward.
http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/shift-work-sleep-disorder-topic-overview

Last edited:
At my residential care place, I knockout as soon as I put the kids to sleep. So nightshifts are easy money for me. I get 4+ hours of sleep here, and then go home and knockout for 3-4 hours. Can't get any better than that.

11PM-7AM shift, by the way.

I work 11pm - 730am 7 days a week. No joke. I get a 10% differential. I also have a second job working second shift 3 days a week sometimes 4 from 230pm - 10pm sometimes 1030. It's rough but I have reasons. I'm not doing it because I think it's fun or have nothing to do.

7pm-7am

**** sucks because i can't nap when **** slows down :lol:

But I'd take nights over days 10/10 times

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom