Apartments 30 minutes from Santa Monica???

don't know the area very well (from norcal).  thinking about moving down south for a job in santa monica.  i'm looking for a studio/1bedroom apt within 30 minutes, 45 at most with traffic.  looking to spend less than $1k/month.

checked various sites.  not many good options for that price.  looks like i'll have to risk property and life if i paid less than $1k/month on rent.  anybody know of some nicer + cheaper places to stay?

not trying to room with anybody, but it looks like that might be my only good option.

don't know the area very well (from norcal).  thinking about moving down south for a job in santa monica.  i'm looking for a studio/1bedroom apt within 30 minutes, 45 at most with traffic.  looking to spend less than $1k/month.

checked various sites.  not many good options for that price.  looks like i'll have to risk property and life if i paid less than $1k/month on rent.  anybody know of some nicer + cheaper places to stay?

not trying to room with anybody, but it looks like that might be my only good option.

less then 1k? wow, never heard of such a thing down here. looks like ur options will be limited to living in someone's garage or w/ some illegal alien families.

btw Mo, you getting reamed for saying this

"Mo Greene wrote:

word.

the way kim k was just laying there, ray j might as well have been screwing somebody in the morgue.

good thing ray j's size made the tape watchable."

why don't you post in that thread and explain what you meant? btw, if you're gay then nm by bad for bothering you.

less then 1k? wow, never heard of such a thing down here. looks like ur options will be limited to living in someone's garage or w/ some illegal alien families.

btw Mo, you getting reamed for saying this

"Mo Greene wrote:

word.

the way kim k was just laying there, ray j might as well have been screwing somebody in the morgue.

good thing ray j's size made the tape watchable."

why don't you post in that thread and explain what you meant? btw, if you're gay then nm by bad for bothering you.

^ i think you OD'ing on my options. looks like there's quite a few decent spots in torrance and hawthorne. any particular areas there i should avoid? how's the alondra park/el camino college area?

^ i think you OD'ing on my options. looks like there's quite a few decent spots in torrance and hawthorne. any particular areas there i should avoid? how's the alondra park/el camino college area?

Try North Hollywood area (Langkershim and Weddington st.) No Ho District. I used to rent an apartment there about 5 years ago. I think still there. only payed $500.00 a month, land lord not raise my rent for 3 years! Steal of a deal...well, it comes with the saying though...."you pay for what you get".

Try North Hollywood area (Langkershim and Weddington st.) No Ho District. I used to rent an apartment there about 5 years ago. I think still there. only payed $500.00 a month, land lord not raise my rent for 3 years! Steal of a deal...well, it comes with the saying though...."you pay for what you get".

El Camino College? My ex gf lives a block away.  Her block is actually okay but everywhere else around her is suspect.  I guess torrance and gardena is half an hour away, yeah rent rent is actually cheap there.  you gotta look and ask around, lots of old japanese people own rental property there.  they old and they don't advertise, but i've heard 2 bedrooms unit goign for 800.  not in craigslist tho, once you get here look for one of those community boards outside supermarkets and u shoudl find something.  my ex paid 600 for a one bedroom w/ garage.  

El Camino College? My ex gf lives a block away.  Her block is actually okay but everywhere else around her is suspect.  I guess torrance and gardena is half an hour away, yeah rent rent is actually cheap there.  you gotta look and ask around, lots of old japanese people own rental property there.  they old and they don't advertise, but i've heard 2 bedrooms unit goign for 800.  not in craigslist tho, once you get here look for one of those community boards outside supermarkets and u shoudl find something.  my ex paid 600 for a one bedroom w/ garage.  

torrance/hawthorne isnt 30 mins away from santa monica if youre commuting...thats a 2 hour drive during rush hour.

torrance/hawthorne isnt 30 mins away from santa monica if youre commuting...thats a 2 hour drive during rush hour.

Originally Posted by ROCK LA Familia

eek.gif
600 with a garage?  what's the complex's name?  i was actually considering a place i found on craigslist apparently owned by japanese people.

Originally Posted by frink85

yea i saw that on google maps if i were to take the 405.  how's commuting on highway 1 during rush hour?  google doesn't seem to have any traffic info.

looking into places at culver city, but *$@! aint cheap
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by ROCK LA Familia

eek.gif
600 with a garage?  what's the complex's name?  i was actually considering a place i found on craigslist apparently owned by japanese people.

Originally Posted by frink85

yea i saw that on google maps if i were to take the 405.  how's commuting on highway 1 during rush hour?  google doesn't seem to have any traffic info.

looking into places at culver city, but *$@! aint cheap
ohwell.gif

Mo Greene

You might want to start by browsing West Side Rentals. There are a ton of listings there (but it is a pay subscription site).

If you really want to live no more than 45 minutes from Santa Monica in rush hour traffic, your options are a bit limited. Westside traffic can get pretty bad. Depending on what part of Santa Monica you are going to be working in, and what part of the surrounding area you want to live in, you could get double-F'd due to the 405 Fwy widening project they are currently working on around Olympic Blvd to Sunset. Crossing from the west side of the 405 to the east side of the 405 can be a 15-25 minute wait by itself.

With your budget, you are really going to have to make some sacrifices to make it work. Either you are going to have to find a decent 2bd and take on a roommate, or you are going to be very limited in the amount of space you get.

I would try to find a place in Mar Vista or certain parts of Culver City. While neither are cheap, they definitely are more affordable than Santa Monica proper or even neighboring parts like West LA, Venice, Abbott Kinney, etc... Anything further out than that you are going to add to your commute.

If you do decide to go as far south as the South Bay (Torrance, Redondo, etc...) your commute is going to be very hit or miss. I recently made the semi-coastal surface street drive from my house in Playa Vista (pretty much Marina Del Rey) down Lincoln to Sepulveda and down to Palos Verdes. It was probably a 15 mile drive 1 way and it took me the better part of 75 minutes on a Sunday. When you add in additional rush hour traffic RIP. That stretch from where I live in Playa to Santa Monica is brutal. My boy lives in Santa Monica right on Lincoln Blvd and Santa Monica Blvd. Its a 5 mile straight shot down Lincoln to get to my place. When we meet up after work for drinks, it literally takes him 45min-1hour to make that 5 min drive. It is actually easier and faster for him to leave his car at home and just hop on the beachcruiser and bike down to my place.

Good luck with your apt search.

Mo Greene

You might want to start by browsing West Side Rentals. There are a ton of listings there (but it is a pay subscription site).

If you really want to live no more than 45 minutes from Santa Monica in rush hour traffic, your options are a bit limited. Westside traffic can get pretty bad. Depending on what part of Santa Monica you are going to be working in, and what part of the surrounding area you want to live in, you could get double-F'd due to the 405 Fwy widening project they are currently working on around Olympic Blvd to Sunset. Crossing from the west side of the 405 to the east side of the 405 can be a 15-25 minute wait by itself.

With your budget, you are really going to have to make some sacrifices to make it work. Either you are going to have to find a decent 2bd and take on a roommate, or you are going to be very limited in the amount of space you get.

I would try to find a place in Mar Vista or certain parts of Culver City. While neither are cheap, they definitely are more affordable than Santa Monica proper or even neighboring parts like West LA, Venice, Abbott Kinney, etc... Anything further out than that you are going to add to your commute.

If you do decide to go as far south as the South Bay (Torrance, Redondo, etc...) your commute is going to be very hit or miss. I recently made the semi-coastal surface street drive from my house in Playa Vista (pretty much Marina Del Rey) down Lincoln to Sepulveda and down to Palos Verdes. It was probably a 15 mile drive 1 way and it took me the better part of 75 minutes on a Sunday. When you add in additional rush hour traffic RIP. That stretch from where I live in Playa to Santa Monica is brutal. My boy lives in Santa Monica right on Lincoln Blvd and Santa Monica Blvd. Its a 5 mile straight shot down Lincoln to get to my place. When we meet up after work for drinks, it literally takes him 45min-1hour to make that 5 min drive. It is actually easier and faster for him to leave his car at home and just hop on the beachcruiser and bike down to my place.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

laugh.gif
that's brutal

thanks for the advice.  i'm actually going to take a 6 month-year temp position at a biotech company in san jose.  i'm definitely going to keep trying for the position in santa monica (it's at 17th and olympic, btw.  right by the 10.), so i'll keep your and everybody else's advice down the road.

socal beaches >>> norcal beaches (++*$ aint even funny
smh.gif
)

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

laugh.gif
that's brutal

thanks for the advice.  i'm actually going to take a 6 month-year temp position at a biotech company in san jose.  i'm definitely going to keep trying for the position in santa monica (it's at 17th and olympic, btw.  right by the 10.), so i'll keep your and everybody else's advice down the road.

socal beaches >>> norcal beaches (++*$ aint even funny
smh.gif
)

Torrance/Gardena is like 35/45 minutes away if you take the streets. I know, because I do it almost every other day. I always go down to Sepulveda to Lincoln and take Lincoln down.

Anyway, you can find places in the Westchester neighborhood, Culver City, Inglewood.

Back
Top Bottom