April Wrestling Thread/NTWT Weekend Edition/WM April 10th 2021

d6r7ye1q10k21.jpg

DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican anaL isn't acting like a wife.

Lana MUST have on heels.

That thing is nowhere near that "cuffy" on a normal basis

#Angles

I hate hate hate how it's called the Universal Title. There should be a Raw belt & a SD belt.

WWE Raw preview (Mar. 4, 2019): Unleashed

181_RAW_02252019dg_4103__988f0203e35e759c823db4af851e2f1c.0.jpg
WWE.com
Bryce Harper arrived, Nick Foles is leaving... but Philadelphia also gets Raw on Mar. 4, so that tips the scales in their favor.

The Headliner(s)
After opening the show with an emotional promo announcing his leukemia is again in remission, Roman Reigns first real kayfabe act was to join Seth Rollins in stopping a three-on-one assault by Drew McIntyre, Bobby Lashley and Baron Corbin on Dean Ambrose. While a full Hounds of Justice moment didn’t happen - Ambrose’s disastrous heel turn following Roman’s farewell promo last October still has to be dealt with - the foreshadowing was clear.

For the third time since Seth betrayed his brothers and joined The Authority back almost five years ago, there’s a Shield reunion in the works.

It’s tempting to say, “keep it, WWE”. Though it wasn’t the company’s fault previous two were cut short, they felt like promotional tactics rather than logical storytelling beats. This one won’t be much better, really. It’s likely being done because Dean is leaving, or as part of an angle to explain why he’s not leaving (whether his departure was always a work or Vince McMahon and/or Reigns have been successful in getting him to change his mind is for a future Rumor Roundup debate). A Shield match at Fastlane will also make the most of the emotions the Big Dog’s return have stirred up in the audience, and provide a bridge to whatever they come up with for Roman at WrestleMania 35.

But I want this one, and not just because I’m a sucker for badasses in flak jackets. The big missing element from the last few Shield reunions? A threat that required the most dominant faction in WWE history to stop it. And, yes, I realize Corbin’s Evil League of Evil still isn’t that threat.

Once they get put down by the Architect, Big Uce and the Lunatic, they’re done. Right? WWE can’t keep rolling a group with no clear objective, or even a reason to associate with one another, after they’ve been bulldozed by Braun Strowman and thwarted by the Hounds of Justice.

So maybe it’s not as cool as coming together one last time to take down something like a new, well-built and properly pushed Wyatt Family. But I’m on board with one more nostalgic tug at the heartstrings... especially if it rids us of the scourge of Baron and the gang.

The title scene
A possible Shield match is something to focus on for this Sunday’s pay-per-view (PPV). Will the Raw Women’s title be represented at Fastlane? Will someone be holding it? Ronda Rousey wants a WrestleMania match with Becky Lynch so badly she left the belt in the ring last Monday. Charlotte Flair, who Vince says Rousey will be facing on April 7 in MetLife Stadium, says she’s coming to the arena tonight to get the strap she’s carried four times before. And if that’s not enough, there’s the most important question of all... will the tweet war be addressed on-screen?!?! Just kidding, it’s probably “will The Man show up?” But I do really want to know if they’re gonna bring up the Twitter stuff, with all the talk of penises and scripts and what have you.

If we do get a match for The Shield on Sunday, that also gives Seth something to do, considering the man he’s supposed to face at ‘Mania - Universal champ Brock Lesnar - still isn’t around.

And assuming Lashley is still a member of the Evil League of Evil, I’m not sure where that leaves Finn Bálor and the current Intercontinental championship program. Last Monday, Lio Rush tried to get Bobby a rematch, and ended up getting (and losing) a match with Finn himself. Will the All Mighty forgive his hype man again, and where does this leave the Extraordinary champ?

Last week, I figured #DIY might be the next in line for the Raw Men’s Tag titles. But then Tommaso Ciampa & Johnny Gargano didn’t do much on TV while NXT caught up and Ciampa dealt with an injury. And now Ricochet & Aleister Black have a win over The Revival, and NXT’s explained their partnership, too. Throw in the former champs Chad Gable & Bobby Roode and make it a 4Way?

We already know who get the first shot at Women’s Tag Team champs Sasha Banks & Bayley. But if Tamina & Nia Jax are gonna be the second pair to wear those belts, they’ll have to do better than Nia did in one-on-one action against the Hugster last week.

Other stuff to keep an eye on
- He walked alone inside a pit of danger and beat old man Flair up. Batista’s back, baby! Does he have Hunter’s attention, though? Triple H has been quiet since The Animal ruined the big part he threw for Ric, but WWE.com’s official preview for tonight is teasing a response, and rumor is Big Dave will be at Wells Fargo Center...

- Given that I think I probably laugh as much if not more at the average episode of Raw as I did at the last SNL I sat through, I’m not super excited for Michael Che & Colin Jost’s guest appearance tonight. But maybe they’ll surprise us and be the next Jon Stewart or Bob Barker? Just hope they’re not the next Dennis Miller or Jeremy Piven.

- Is the Kurt Angle redemption tour leading somewhere?

- Lacey Evans will walk, and Alexa Bliss will ogle someone.

- Anyone else think those vignettes of Mojo Rawley screaming at himself in the mirror will never be brought up again?

It’s the Fastlane ‘go home’ show!

What will you be looking for on Raw tonight?

Back
Top Bottom