ARE LYRICAL RAPPERS ALLERGIC TO GOOD BEATS?

Originally Posted by 51and3rd

asu334 wrote:
Cause most of your East Coast "lyrical" rappers dont want a beat with to many chord progressions because they want to dominate the 16 themselves they just want a boom tap type of pattern to knod your head to while they talk to you. Think about a Preme track its the majority of times a 4 or 8 bar loop the whole song. And when u get to the hook its just some scratches and simple hook because the lyrical rapper wants you to just pay attention to his 16.

Where u got a beat from Drumma boy, Timbo, Swizz, etc. they might change the beat up every few bars to keep ya moving and u got a build up to the hook where the hook is dam near the celebration and u just waiting for the hook to come around cause its the most memorable part.

Basically lyrical rappers just like loop based beats because there easy to rap to and they want there words to articulate and flow. Thats why u had alot of people jump on Amillie or swagga like us because it was a loop the whole song where only a handful of people jumped on a song like Put On.

Best post in this thread so far, but would a really good rapper be intimidated by a beat like that? A good beat makes me focus on the song more. I hear a wack beat and its on to the next track for me.

I agree with that but a lot of lyrical rappers have ripped these "Super Producer" Beats...

Lloyd Banks ripped a timbo/Danja beat = I'm so Fly.

Nas ripped a Polow Da Don Beat = Hero
....and another one by DJ TOOMP = Slave and the Master.
Big Pun ripped plently of Just Blaze beats.
Jay-Z on Dre.

The list just goes on and on...Seems like you guys are listening to wrong stuff...

Originally Posted by Tom Jooks

asu334 wrote:
Cause most of your East Coast "lyrical" rappers dont want a beat with to many chord progressions because they want to dominate the 16 themselves they just want a boom tap type of pattern to knod your head to while they talk to you. Think about a Preme track its the majority of times a 4 or 8 bar loop the whole song. And when u get to the hook its just some scratches and simple hook because the lyrical rapper wants you to just pay attention to his 16.

Where u got a beat from Drumma boy, Timbo, Swizz, etc. they might change the beat up every few bars to keep ya moving and u got a build up to the hook where the hook is dam near the celebration and u just waiting for the hook to come around cause its the most memorable part.

Basically lyrical rappers just like loop based beats because there easy to rap to and they want there words to articulate and flow. Thats why u had alot of people jump on Amillie or swagga like us because it was a loop the whole song where only a handful of people jumped on a song like Put On.

Best post in this thread so far, but would a really good rapper be intimidated by a beat like that? A good beat makes me focus on the song more. I hear a wack beat and its on to the next track for me.
I agree with that but a lot of lyrical rappers have ripped these "Super Producer" Beats...

Jay-Z on Dre.

The list just goes on and on...Seems like you guys are listening to wrong stuff...

You guys keep naming Nas but his history shows other wise. Of course you can name songs to prove me other wise but in general Nas has terrible beat selectionas well as most rappers from the east coast. Nas must of hird someone to choose his beats because most of his albums had 90% weak beats.

asu334 wrote:

Jay-Z on Dre.

Come on dog more often than not, what Asu said is on point. I wouldn't say that that Lyrical rappers are allergic to good beats. I feel likethe majority of lyrical rappers have a tendency to go for a beat that's less than great, so they can just flow and get the message out. Which may or maynot be a concious choice. i doubt Nas sits in the studio like "Yo find me the weakest *#@ possible", but at the same time, a simple instrumental iswhat he's more suited too.

I'm saying a simple beat is not a wack beat. What about Stillmatic (laced with heaters throughout the whole album)? Anyone listen to Lupe? What aboutJay-Z?

It's kinda ignorant to say lyrical rappers are scared to get on big epic (south) beats. The thing is they don't need those beats to get people tolisten to their music. That's the reason why a lot of southern rappers need these big epic beats, cause they just can't get anyone to listen to themwithout it. Think about how many epic beats were wasted...at least we got remixes.

I'm saying a simple beat is not a wack beat. What about Stillmatic (laced with heaters throughout the whole album)? Anyone listen to Lupe? What about Jay-Z?

It's kinda ignorant to say lyrical rappers are scared to get on big epic (south) beats. The thing is they don't need those beats to get people to listen to their music. That's the reason why a lot of southern rappers need these big epic beats, cause they just can't get anyone to listen to them without it. Think about how many epic beats were wasted...at least we got remixes.
laugh.gif
Lets put this Nas talk to an end NOW! Yeah Stillmatic isone of his 2 or 3 albums with overall good beats...... It Was Written
roll.gif
,I Am....
laugh.gif
, Nastradamus
tired.gif
, God Son
grin.gif
, Streets Disciple
grin.gif
. Sayin Jay Z has simple beats is kinda misleading. Yeah their not hard hittinclub joints but their beyond simple looped wack beats. Plus Jay makes it work so hes one of the few exceptions.

why dudes be tryin to stunt on nas beat selection..yall prolly dont even believe that yallselves u jus heard someone else say nas has bad beat selection so youwent along with it..@%%#%

NY rappers + Southern beats would be instant hip hop revival!
i hope not, cuz i love NY rappers, but hate southern beats. that snare #%%# has to go. why they include that #%%# in every damn beat?

why dudes be tryin to stunt on nas beat selection..yall prolly dont even believe that yallselves u jus heard someone else say nas has bad beat selection so you went along with it..@%%#%

Nas beat selection went downhill after It Was Written. It's a damn near creapshoot with every new Nas album because you never know what you're going to get with the next track. I hate to make this a Nas/Jayz post but I know with Jay I'ma get the lyrics with the beats so it's a win win situation. It also helps that the people in his camp (Just, Kanye) are some of the best producers in the game.

Its flow. Most these lyrical rappers lose their lyrical-ness when they gotta switch up their flow for these "good" beats. Only the greats are able toswitch up their flow and maintain their lyrics, ie Hov, Em, BIG.

Originally Posted by GUILLERMO GUTIEREZ

i hope not, cuz i love NY rappers, but hate southern beats. that snare #%%# has to go. why they include that #%%# in every damn beat?

People are afraid of change. The best and most versatile producers don't use it, think about it that way.

Originally Posted by CROSSISOM

People are afraid of change. The best and most versatile producers don't use it, think about it that way.

It has nothing to do with bein versatile. The snare is a southern staple and is more of an up beat thing.
laugh.gif
The snare is probably one of the most basic things in a beat.

Originally Posted by CROSSISOM

It has nothing to do with bein versatile. The snare is a southern staple and is more of an up beat thing.
laugh.gif
The snare is probably one of the most basic things in a beat.

He's talkin about a specific 808 snare+clap that is used. That little snare roll is at the end of a verse or hook is overused as well.

nas + polow =
pimp.gif

i have nothing to contribute i just wanted to show appreciation for hero.
laugh.gif

cause their main focus is the lyrics and message. the beat takes away the meaning. they get side tracked

Not really, i like the beats that nas spits over. Extra p went hard on illmatic, and ever since then nas has been rippin ill beats. I think other lyricalrappers as well should stick to the beats they're on.

Nas beat selection really aint that bad to me.....any artist with around 10 albums bound to have some weak #%@#. Even Hov with his resources has gotplenty...(maybe not as many
laugh.gif
)

dudes actin like every other rappers beats are 90-95%
eek.gif
......not the case.

ehhhhhh I don't think so and I argued that Nastradamus woulda been great with better prod just check NastraDOOMus

I skimmed through this thread and it seems like everyone is talking about mainstream lyrical rappers and beats by known producers. Just because the title isgood beats, does that mean it has to be a known producer (i.e. The Neptunes), or even a known artist (The Clipse)?
To answer the question, no I don't think "lyrical rappers" are allergic to good beats

10qzzgp.jpg
Good beats don't always come from big producers

Originally Posted by EL Flaco McFly

I skimmed through this thread and it seems like everyone is talking about mainstream lyrical rappers and beats by known producers. Just because the title is
good beats, does that mean it has to be a known producer (i.e. The Neptunes), or even a known artist (The Clipse)?

To answer the question, no I don't think "lyrical rappers" are allergic to good beats

10qzzgp.jpg
Good beats don't always come from big producers

Like i said in response to dude who listed LB, if you include the underground/indie scene we'd be here all day

Back
Top Bottom