Are music videos just a waste now?

I feel like when I was younger it was more common to watch videos and what not. It just seems like such a waste of time and money especially when rappers spend money on renting cars and paying girls to dance :lol:

Do you guys still get pumped for a video or watch a lot of them?

I used to when I was younger but now not at all. I can care less about music videos now because most especially in hip-hop are formulaic and redundant. When I do catch a video and it is artistically well-done with a great concept I am impressed.

If anything they're more important than ever.

Almost every breakthrough artist has done it with a visual.

Look at this Trinidad James clown.

That song was out before the video dropped. If not for the visual, he wouldn't have been as big

That song was out before the video dropped. If not for the visual, he wouldn't have been as big
Yep. Videos are what cause people to blow up, at least nowadays. They show the whole "image" or "lifestyle" that your music pushes.

ASAP Rocky wouldn't be where he is without Peso and Purple Swag. Displayed his whole aura.

Same with Riff Raff.

And Trinidad James owes his WHOLE career to All Gold video. That's what made people curious, b/c he looked like Jerome lol.

Those songs were not hits and still aren't hits. The videos were what got people interested.

Honestly, if you have a somewhat hot/catchy song, and buy 100k views for a very unique video that accurately displays some type of "image" for your movement, then you have a very high chance of getting on, especially if it reaches the right naive A&R or record exec looking for the next Rocky.

But for established artists like a Ross or Wayne or whoever, they aren't really important.

Last edited:

This is so true and it makes me wonder who is out there still watching these things. They're so unimportant in my eyes, the only music video I've watched because I wanted to see the visuals was Otis, and it's the only video I've watched more than twice in around five years.

i just look at the females or the message there trying to convey. but i cant remmber the last time i saw a music video.

Last video I watch was Power Trip..it was actually the first time I heard that song..
Exactly, people don't have the attention span or care enough to listen to music alone, especially from a new artist or an artist that they aren't really HUGE fans of

Last edited:

You make good points.

Pretty much what Meek Meals & Victor Page said. I still get a kick out of videos just cause I always picture what the non-video songs look like when I listen to stuff. From 99-06 I used to record videos on VHS. The biggest travesty is the green screen. Hardly anything is authentic. Sort of random, but it's something to take note of.

For new artists who sell a unique vibe/style it is important. For everyone else its becoming less and less important imo. Either that or I'm just getting older and don't care for the videos anymore.

i'll really only watch a video for artist i truly care about...even then, sometimes i don't...haven't watched that ***** Dont Kill My Vibe video and probably wont even tho i ***** with Kendrick heavy...but as soon as a Ye video drops, imma be all over it...

ASAP Rocky

Trinidad James

Kreyshawn

Tyler, the Creator

PSY

....nope videos not that important these days

Music videos are still very beneficial to newer artists to get their buzz going. As for me, I still keep up with music videos. A lot of music videos are real generic these days, but every now & then you get some real creative ones. JT's Mirrors & Tyler's IFHY are my favorites of the year so far :smokin

Just wish these clowns would stop releasing behind the scenes trailers 4 weeks ahead of time and just release the damn video.

visual our important in the game so you can paint a picture

i remember back in the days bad boys had the hardest videos now with the social media you can record your own video and all that its pros and cons now a days

/\ exactly

Once HD recording got put on consumer based cameras...it birthed a plethora of "directors" and now practically ANYONE can shoot a decent looking video.

So if anything...videos have become ridiculously diluted with trash videos. But in no way, shape, or form...are they a waste now.

You can't blow these days w/o a dope video.

And yes...releasing trailers for videos is the most ******ED **** ever.

Last edited:
videos aren't but a lot of people watch videos on line now

i blame MTV they need to just call it ReRunTV

MTV is just a waste in my opinion. i don't want to watch re-runs of teen mom and ridiculousness. you have to be up midnight-6am just to watch videos on tv unless you have mtv jams i suppose.  

Back
Top Bottom