Are Resellers the REAL problem??

Originally Posted by MrNikeTalk

I've touched on this topic for YEARS. NikeTalk is the actual problem because the general overall consciousness that IS NT cannot agree on truth that doesn't change.

Maybe Niketalk is run by Nike
laugh.gif
, how else can they use the rights to the nike name on the niketalk domain. We all should open our minds.

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

BECAUSE THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE SO JADED THEY CAN'T MISS OUT ON A RELEASE.

A LOT OF PEOPLE IN HERE DON'T HAVE THE MINDSET THAT IF I MISS OUT THEN I JUST MISS OUT. THEY MUST HAVE THEM.

THIS OPENS THEM UP TO RECTUM DETERIORATION AS THEY PAY THE RESELLER PRICE.

I ALWAYS PASS THESE TYPES OF PEOPLE DRIVING AROUND IN MY NEW CAR AS THEY ARE TRYING TO CATCH THE BUS IN THEIR NEW JORDANS....

lol @ rectum detioriation.we've all paid reseller prices for a shoe before though. Lets not kid ourselves.

Originally Posted by kingofkingz

if i miss the shoe, i miss the shoe. if i really want the shoe, i'll be patient and wait for a good deal. if no deal comes oh well. all in all, its rubber, leather and glue. whether its a reseller or Nike/JB raising the price, nobody is ever really happy with the price changes thats going on.

This.

I wonder if there is even a fix for the situation. i hate it too cause i damn near always miss the shoe i want here in small ol Memphis

Originally Posted by cstrong

I don't see what all the complaining and whinig is about. Either do what you have to do to get the shoe at retail or pay extra. The game is not messed up at all. Stop being lazy and sitting behind a computer screen complaining about the people that's going out and getting what they want. If people want to buy multiple pairs to sell then so be it. It's their money and their time and effort that's put into securing their shoes. Everyone has the same opportunity. These grown men with a sense of entitlement to shoes is sickening
Agreed. We talkin about sneakers. That's it. Dudes on here need to check themselves with their elitist attitude. You don't "deserve" a pair of Jordans any more than the next person. Grow Up.

Originally Posted by bence23

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

BECAUSE THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE SO JADED THEY CAN'T MISS OUT ON A RELEASE.

A LOT OF PEOPLE IN HERE DON'T HAVE THE MINDSET THAT IF I MISS OUT THEN I JUST MISS OUT. THEY MUST HAVE THEM.

THIS OPENS THEM UP TO RECTUM DETERIORATION AS THEY PAY THE RESELLER PRICE.

I ALWAYS PASS THESE TYPES OF PEOPLE DRIVING AROUND IN MY NEW CAR AS THEY ARE TRYING TO CATCH THE BUS IN THEIR NEW JORDANS....

lol @ rectum detioriation.we've all paid reseller prices for a shoe before though. Lets not kid ourselves.
Wrong. Try again.

Originally Posted by 3900stabler

Originally Posted by cstrong

I don't see what all the complaining and whinig is about. Either do what you have to do to get the shoe at retail or pay extra. The game is not messed up at all. Stop being lazy and sitting behind a computer screen complaining about the people that's going out and getting what they want. If people want to buy multiple pairs to sell then so be it. It's their money and their time and effort that's put into securing their shoes. Everyone has the same opportunity. These grown men with a sense of entitlement to shoes is sickening
Agreed. We talkin about sneakers. That's it. Dudes on here need to check themselves with their elitist attitude. You don't "deserve" a pair of Jordans any more than the next person. Grow Up.
You guys are probably resellers... LOL. 
Its cool. I feel your sentiments on some sneaker heads feeling that they deserve a pair because they actually saw MJ ball. I think its fine to camp, go online and use your connects... its all good. I don't want to sound "holier than thou"BS but what we the sneaker head community need to address are the riots, people getting jacked, etc. Its fine to camp and line up but now it has become dangerous to do so in some areas depending on where you live. JB/Nike is not going to care about our well being.

The reselling culture has gotten so bad that even the stores are involved. People (sneaker heads and resellers) lining up for hours will be pissed mad when a store employee comes out to tell them that they have sold out or have GS sizes left just before RD. These store employees are hoarding the stock to resell later as they can easily make an extra $100 to $200 off eBay. Imagine if this caught on and half the stores in the States did this when JB releases the breds XI in December?? 

Those who couldn't get their pairs on RD will pay through their nose to resellers and then complain about it not knowing that they will contribute to the hoarding, leading to riots and robbery for the next release. Its a vicious cycle.

WE ARE ALL ACCOUNTABLE when we pay above retail. We can all stop with all the finger pointing at JB/Nike, resellers, hype beasts, etc. Happy copping!

Originally Posted by kingofkingz

if i miss the shoe, i miss the shoe. if i really want the shoe, i'll be patient and wait for a good deal. if no deal comes oh well. all in all, its rubber, leather and glue. whether its a reseller or Nike/JB raising the price, nobody is ever really happy with the price changes thats going on.

Applaud!!

theres also a little hypocrisy of the proclaimed hypbeast/resell hater who couldn't get his size so spites another person by buying whatever other size is available. then they "need" to sell it at rape/resell price so that they can afford the same shoe in their size. honestly if my size isn't in the store i'll pass, leave it for the next person and look online. i don't care so much about resellers as i do the markup. there are good deals with patience especially when hype dies down and resellers want to unload their stock.

I dispise resellers and I'm not talking about the ones who bought 2 pairs
where they resell one pair but about those who buy multiple pairs
and resell them for much higher prices.
They are a cancer!

Just stop buying so many shoes and save the $$ for the ones you actually want.

Resellers provide a useful service to some. I've got a career/obligations, so I can't camp out several days for shoes. However, it also doesn't kill me to pay $250 for a pair of Jordans if I'm only buying 3-4 pairs a year vs 10-15 in the past.

Please take a second to read this, because I feel there are some important ideas you can all take from this:

In all seriousness, I feel like we are at blame for this current situation. And by "we", I'm referring to anyone who posts on here or any other sneaker forum. Sure, most of us have at one point or another paid reseller prices for something we wanted but couldn't get. I just paid $400 for a DS pair of Space Jams because I didn't have the money for them a few years ago. However, I think the big problem lies in how we hype up releases. I have a strong feeling that resellers gage a probable resale value by the amount of hype or talk there is about the sneaker on internet forums. You can go into any thread on this forum and see examples of people who are nearly orgasming over a Jordan release and talking about how they need to double or triple up or how they have been waiting for years to rerelease the pair. You don't think a reseller's eyes light up when they see that? They know that there are people who would do anything for their pair (I saw a CraigsList ad a few weeks ago for a girl that was selling her virginity for a pair of Galaxy Foams). I'm not saying to stop posting in forums like this at all, but I think its definitely some food for thought.

I've always wondered what would happen if we made a collective effort to hype up a random shoe that otherwise wouldn't receive any attention and see what the outcome is. I think we underestimate the power that our words have on people who are "money-hungry" and looking for a quick dollar.
Personally, I have never bought on RD with the intention of reselling.  If I don't personally want a pair, I will not rush to the store at midnight or the next morning to flip for a few bucks.  A few weeks ago, however, I came across a local sneaker store in my area (Syracuse) that just opened and they had a restock of Cement IVs and Metallic Red Foams.  They had been sitting for two days when I came across them and bought a pair of each to sell.  By definition, thats reselling but I don't see much wrong with it.  If they had been sitting for multiple days with pairs still in stock, I wasn't hurting many chances of local people buying them.

Originally Posted by MrNikeTalk

I've touched on this topic for YEARS. NikeTalk is the actual problem because the general overall consciousness that IS NT cannot agree on truth that doesn't change.
If you're talking about generating hype then NT is only part of the problem. Mainstream media, hip hop marketing and a host of other marketing channels are all contributing to the hype up of releases.

You can shut NT down for good and there'll still be a thirst for Nike GR, QS, etc.. Being a 'sneaker head' or 'collector' is the IN thing today.

Originally Posted by sunshineblotters

Flooding the market will work in the short run: But marketers have marketing down to a science, and Nike seems to be an expert on quickstrike marketing. Basically once everyone has them, they will be seen as a fad, people will stop buying them, and there will be more for us. The problem, when people stop buying them (the demand isnt high) then Nike will be forced to sell them much cheaper (imagine that, selling a shoe that cost $12 to manufacture for less than $160
30t6p3b.gif
) Nike will not cut their profits, they simply will not. Besides when people stop purchasing they will lower supply and then demand will be higher and we will be right back at square one (this is the one paragraph I am not sure I got down completely, sorry. But it is basic economics)  
Text in bold is the truth. There will be more and more kicks nearing $200 and some of the limited stuff might even see significanly higher price increases. Nike head office is extremely upset at some of the reselling markups and they want a piece of the pie.

It all depends on your financial standing. Or how much your willing to spend on a pair of J's. I hate resellers because they charge outrageous prices and I'm sure most of there  first time buyers are stuck thinking, i hope the product is real or at least an A-grade at that or they would always validate its authenticity by bringing it to a local Nike store In hope that they didn't receive a knock of  pair of J's from sin-sing, with major defects. I think the real problem is the amount of shoes being produced, if they make at least more than enough everyone would have an opportunity to scoop a pair despite the reseller who purchase 4 or even 5 pairs.

Originally Posted by Midnight Hype

It all depends on your financial standing. Or how much your willing to spend on a pair of J's. I hate resellers because they charge outrageous prices and I'm sure most of there  first time buyers are stuck thinking, i hope the product is real or at least an A-grade at that or they would always validate its authenticity by bringing it to a local Nike store In hope that they didn't receive a knock of  pair of J's from sin-sing, with major defects. I think the real problem is the amount of shoes being produced, if they make at least more than enough everyone would have an opportunity to scoop a pair despite the reseller who purchase 4 or even 5 pairs.
JB/Nike purposely limits productions to create a sense of exclusiveness. This means there will never be enough for everyone. With resellers buying up everything they can will only make it worst. We need to accept this fact and deal with it. Only thing we can try is not to feed resellers so they won't buy up the stock for resell.... 

It's all how you look at it.  I see resellers as my own personal distribution network.  The reality is that each reseller is employed by me.
They put they put in the long hours camping, they max out their credit cards, and they ship the shoes right to my doorstep.  I'm the boss.  I decide how
much they get paid for their work.  I may not get the shoes on release day, but with patience I always get them.  And usually for under retail.
That means that I've paid my employee, the reseller, nothing for his efforts.  And with me getting the shoe under retail with no tax, my employee
eats the shipping costs as well.

Patience goes a long way not just with shoes, but with everything in life.

It's nice to see the NTers that get it.

Originally Posted by airdhazzal

The real problem is the population.

You people have to understand that now the number of people that are into Jordan's is too grand, too many people with their foot in the door, and too many people willing to go the extra mile just to snag a pair, example: camping for multiple days. Concords popularity brought a whole new generation of kids with disposable income into our bandwagon. Think about it, because of the numbers, every release will feel like limited. Just watch, every year the population will pile on and keep growing and Nike won't do anything about it. Just makes it that much harder collecting Jordan's.

Lately, I've been feeling that I should stop. I don't give props or respect to a person for a wearing Jordan's anymore. It used to be an exclusive thing amongst my peers, but now these teens and kids are into it. These teens can't even tell you who Dennis Rodman is
laugh.gif
. And now every time I see a person with Jordan's on, I say to myself, there goes a person where all his priorities lie on his shoes. 

Yet i rarely see people wearing air jordans outside of the usa for casual anymore.whem MJ was still playing with tge bulls. They sold very,well. Even non collectorswere buying them for fashion.When mj was with the wizards, his shoes gotMuch more expensive, otherwise they still wouldSell as well as before. When i go into the city, i rarely see peopleJordan shoes in europe.

Originally Posted by dreb1989

Please take a second to read this, because I feel there are some important ideas you can all take from this:

In all seriousness, I feel like we are at blame for this current situation. And by "we", I'm referring to anyone who posts on here or any other sneaker forum. Sure, most of us have at one point or another paid reseller prices for something we wanted but couldn't get. I just paid $400 for a DS pair of Space Jams because I didn't have the money for them a few years ago. However, I think the big problem lies in how we hype up releases. I have a strong feeling that resellers gage a probable resale value by the amount of hype or talk there is about the sneaker on internet forums. You can go into any thread on this forum and see examples of people who are nearly orgasming over a Jordan release and talking about how they need to double or triple up or how they have been waiting for years to rerelease the pair. You don't think a reseller's eyes light up when they see that? They know that there are people who would do anything for their pair (I saw a CraigsList ad a few weeks ago for a girl that was selling her virginity for a pair of Galaxy Foams). I'm not saying to stop posting in forums like this at all, but I think its definitely some food for thought.

I've always wondered what would happen if we made a collective effort to hype up a random shoe that otherwise wouldn't receive any attention and see what the outcome is. I think we underestimate the power that our words have on people who are "money-hungry" and looking for a quick dollar.
Personally, I have never bought on RD with the intention of reselling.  If I don't personally want a pair, I will not rush to the store at midnight or the next morning to flip for a few bucks.  A few weeks ago, however, I came across a local sneaker store in my area (Syracuse) that just opened and they had a restock of Cement IVs and Metallic Red Foams.  They had been sitting for two days when I came across them and bought a pair of each to sell.  By definition, thats reselling but I don't see much wrong with it.  If they had been sitting for multiple days with pairs still in stock, I wasn't hurting many chances of local people buying them.

This might be the most contradictory post ive ever seen.

Every store should just have a raffle. People will stop camping and if you get your shoes you get them but if you don't you don't. You can try online the night before and show up to the store of choice 20min before the release and everybody has the same odds with the raffle.

People don't understand the value of sneakers. We complain about the prices from resellers, when the price that Nike sets it at is outlandish. A shoe from 2006 that retailed at $125 has no reason being released at $160 4-5 years later. There's no improvement in design or material, Nike/JB just knows people are going to buy it because they're clinging on the idea that these are "supposed to be expensive". People want Columbias because....they're Columbias. Not because they look better than any other JB model, not because they feel better on their feet, but because they are XIs and Columbias and sneaker culture says they are the "best". So they'll do anything and pay anything just to say they have the "best". When you stop tiering sneakers a lot of the want will come down.

I want to see what happen's with the IX release. While they might not be the most favorite models, guarantee people will be lined up for the Cool Greys and limited "Johnny Kilroy", but not think twice about the Olives or other new colorways being released.

Another thing is consumers have a "buy cheap, sell high" mentality. I see this all the time from people who call themselves "non-resellers". They complain about people selling recently released shoes for high prices, but these same people are selling dirty, beatdown, used sneakers close to or above retail because they think thats what it is "valued" at. When people come to terms with true "value" of sneakers, they'll stop paying ridiculous prices and feeling cheated. Overtime things will drop.

Originally Posted by silkboi

People don't understand the value of sneakers. We complain about the prices from resellers, when the price that Nike sets it at is outlandish. A shoe from 2006 that retailed at $125 has no reason being released at $160 4-5 years later. There's no improvement in design or material, Nike/JB just knows people are going to buy it because they're clinging on the idea that these are "supposed to be expensive". People want Columbias because....they're Columbias. Not because they look better than any other JB model, not because they feel better on their feet, but because they are XIs and Columbias and sneaker culture says they are the "best". So they'll do anything and pay anything just to say they have the "best". When you stop tiering sneakers a lot of the want will come down.

I want to see what happen's with the IX release. While they might not be the most favorite models, guarantee people will be lined up for the Cool Greys and limited "Johnny Kilroy", but not think twice about the Olives or other new colorways being released.

Another thing is consumers have a "buy cheap, sell high" mentality. I see this all the time from people who call themselves "non-resellers". They complain about people selling recently released shoes for high prices, but these same people are selling dirty, beatdown, used sneakers close to or above retail because they think thats what it is "valued" at. When people come to terms with true "value" of sneakers, they'll stop paying ridiculous prices and feeling cheated. Overtime things will drop.
The IX release will be no different from any other release. If you think that you are just going to walk in the mall at a normal time and be able to purchase them after the release date your kidding yourself (unless you live in some small town and no for a fact you can do that) resellers will be there to get there pairs because they know someone some where didn't get the sneaker and is willing to pay whatever for it. I do agree tho that the overall "value" of jordans/nikes in way over priced. People are going and copping there pair wearing them once and then still try to sell for more than retail. A guy in the marketplace on NT had two pairs on concords one with flaws and worn and the other DS. He wanted $265 for the pair that was worn and had flaws, i missed that release and would love to own a pair but pairing 2x retail is insane to me when i know you only got a pair to resell for twice the amount smh

The way I see it, the blame should be divided by 3:

Resellers: these are the people who take advantage of the public by setting the prices on the resell market. They are the ones who camp out for weeks and even months for shoes solely to gain a minimal profit.

Nike: they simply do not make enough of their most wanted shoes and are the ones who create the hype. they have the poer to stop this with repeated restocks, yet they choose to look the other way

Buyers: these are the ones who decide that its better to pay these outrageous prices instead of boycotting Nike. they complain about the reseller's prices, yet they feel like every limited release is a necessity and that paying $100 or more over retail price is acceptable. There alot of people who think this way, which leads to bidding wars on ebay and other marketplaces. Why? just to rub it in people's faces that they have something that few do not.

how to stop it: STOP being controlled by Nike. contrary to what Nike thinks, we are not animals. instead of wasting time camping, threatening each other over something that is no more than pieces of leather, rubber, and foam, and paying more for a Nike product than a italian made loafer, stop being lazy and get out there and network. build a relationship with these stores that have the stores that you want. or do the necessary work to find out what online stores will have these releases and at what time they will post them and be alert.

Back
Top Bottom