Are the Nats going to sign Strasburg?

There is an article up on ESPN now saying that they really might not come to a deal.. Does anyone have any more info on this situation? This would be a majorblow to the nationals franchise.

We already offered him a record contract, and in my opinion if he doesn't take it he's just screwing himself.

^Why? Can't he just sit out this year and get drafted by someone else? Im not really familiar with how that proccess works. And also, don't the Natsonly have until Monday night at midnight to sign him?

Dude should sign that he is going to get paid!!!

But I can't blame dude for not wanting to play for the Nationals

Originally Posted by madj55

We already offered him a record contract, and in my opinion if he doesn't take it he's just screwing himself.
I kinda want this kid to fail if he doesn't take the deal. Granted he has a ton of potential, but you still haven't done anything to provethat you're a MLB pitcher. Buster Olney summed it up pretty well saying that how does he deserve 14-16 mil when Abreu got 5 this year.

Originally Posted by swizzc

^Why? Can't he just sit out this year and get drafted by someone else? Im not really familiar with how that proccess works. And also, don't the Nats only have until Monday night at midnight to sign him?

Yeah but the same teams will have the chance to get him probably and the Nats, Padres,or Pirates won't throw more money at him than he is getting rightnow. His value is at its peak and he is getting what he wants, a record setting contract, so he should take it. If he doesn't he'll end up going to theIndependent League like our first round pick last year, Aaron Crow who got re-drafted by the Royals still hasn't signed with them either. So to me it'sin his best interest to sign now.

I heard this deal is NOT going to happen..

and aaron crow is playing in an independent league, which makes him not signing w/ the royals that much more pointless..

Originally Posted by shabooyah1124

Originally Posted by madj55

I kinda want this kid to fail if he doesn't take the deal. Granted he has a ton of potential, but you still haven't done anything to prove that you're a MLB pitcher. Buster Olney summed it up pretty well saying that how does he deserve 14-16 mil when Abreu got 5 this year.
cosign

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If come tomorrows deadline he doesn't sign, I hope he fails. Hope his damn arm falls off in the Cape Cod League.

I'm not a "hater", but the fact you haven't proven a thing and are getting BIG money such as this-- and TURN IT DOWN, let me tell you sir,your ##*! stinks just like mine does so be grateful and suit up already.

$+*%+.

is that Harper kid going to be able to make himself eligible next year? i think i remember that being his plan...

Originally Posted by thetruth03

I heard this deal is NOT going to happen..

and aaron crow is playing in an independent league, which makes him not signing w/ the royals that much more pointless..
Crow has until a week before the draft next June to sign, I believe... He'll sign. And the sooner the better. Why burn essentially two yearsoff your major league career when people have already questioned how well your arm will hold up? He's ******ed if he doesn't sign...

And with Strasburg... If the Nats offer him ~$25M and he doesn't take it, you can't really blame the Nats... More than twice the record bonus on athree year deal, from what I've seen... If I'm the Nats, I tell him to be ready to do this dance again next year if he doesn't sign, and draft himand Bryce Harper with the top 2 picks in next year's draft...

They can't afford to let this guy slip away though. Especially with Jordan Zimmermann going under the knife and missing a year or more...

^ yea harper is going juco and will be elgible next draft... he's skipping 2 years of HS.. nobody wants to bring up that story tho
eyes.gif

If come tomorrows deadline he doesn't sign, I hope he fails. Hope his damn arm falls off in the Cape Cod League.

I'm not a "hater", but the fact you haven't proven a thing and are getting BIG money such as this-- and TURN IT DOWN, let me tell you sir, your ##*! stinks just like mine does so be grateful and suit up already.

Players have no say in contract negotiations... you should be wishing injury on scott boras if thats how you feel....

^ yea harper is going juco and will be elgible next draft... he's skipping 2 years of HS.. nobody wants to bring up that story tho
eyes.gif

I'm not a "hater", but the fact you haven't proven a thing and are getting BIG money such as this-- and TURN IT DOWN, let me tell you sir, your ##*! stinks just like mine does so be grateful and suit up already.

Players have no say in contract negotiations... you should be wishing injury on scott boras if thats how you feel....

The hell the player doesnt have any say. Agents are complete garbage, IMO. There have been players who have negotiated on their own contracts and then hireda lawyer look them over to make sure everything in it is ok for the player. I never understood why most players cant negotiate on their own. Would you hirean agent to negotiate the price of a new car for you? No. You start a job for a new company. Do you hire an agent to negotiate your salary for you. No. Agents are useless middlemen.

Do baseball draftees really have that little input?

I hate saying this but I hope this kid fails if he doesn't take this contract. Trying to blow up the system by this amount (kid wants 30m to the previousrecord of 10.5m) is ridiculous. That 10.5m was in 2001 with Mark Prior. I'm a Cubs fan and know damn well how that ended up. Baseball pitchers are just toorisky to waste money on until they are proven.

If they dont sign him they can just draft him again next year. If they are unable to sign him they automatically get the #2 overall pick in the 2010 draft.Seeing as they currently have the worst record in MLB, they are in position to have the #1 overall pick in the 2010 draft as well.

thats the purpose of hiring an agent.. if you want to negotiate your own contract and get signed asap.. thats your choice..

So if scott boras offered to be your agent, your telling me you'd rather negotiate your own deal oppose to the best agent in sports history?

laugh.gif
smh.gif
indifferent.gif

you cannot possibly be this naive can you?
please enlighten me how i'm being naive..

Once you hire an agent, you have given that financial team your approval to completely negotiate your contract.. If you dont like the way your agent goes aboutthings, you either hire a new one.. or become your own agent..

having scott boras represent you is a GREAT thing.. agents negotiate, players play.. nothing in between

i read somewhere if the Nats dont sign him, for them to draft him next year, he would have to give them permission.

as a video game Nats fan...it sucks that it looks like they won't get him signed...

same thing happened to my Twins with Travis Lee back in like 97ish...he flopped
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by mjd77

eyes.gif

The hell the player doesnt have any say. Agents are complete garbage, IMO. There have been players who have negotiated on their own contracts and then hired a lawyer look them over to make sure everything in it is ok for the player. I never understood why most players cant negotiate on their own. Would you hire an agent to negotiate the price of a new car for you? No. You start a job for a new company. Do you hire an agent to negotiate your salary for you. No. Agents are useless middlemen.

Umm . . . agents negotiate things outside of sports all the time.

thats the purpose of hiring an agent.. if you want to negotiate your own contract and get signed asap.. thats your choice..

So if scott boras offered to be your agent, your telling me you'd rather negotiate your own deal oppose to the best agent in sports history?

I guess what I meant was more along the lines of... There's got to be a price these guys tell their agents their willing to accept, right?Strasburg himself doesn't honestly believe he's worth 4 or 5 times the highest bonus ever awarded to a draftee, does he? He's telling Borasit's damn near $50M or he's not signing?

I guess that's just my point... Boras is GREAT at what he does, but is there really no input given by players about what they expect, what they'reshooting for, etc?

Back
Top Bottom