Are vitamin water/gatorade/fruit juices really a better alternative to Soda?

cz7

I been scoping out labels lately and Im noticing that so called "healthy" drinks like vitamin water, gatorade, etc contain similar amounts of sugarand calories. So what makes them so much better than soda?

They contain vitamins. low-carb.. and each aim to enhance a certain thing in your body? + LESS calories.. sodas contain 150-200, vitamin water has 50-75..

Well for Gatorade I know for a fact, you're not supposed to drink it unless you're doing a high amount of exercise and truly NEED that much to replacewhat you've lost. Also, Gatorade I've read is incredibly bad for your teeth, like soda.

Well soda contains very high amounts of High fructose corn syrup. I generally try to avoid anything that has a lot of that in it. You can't always go bythe sugar, calorie, and fat content labels on foods because not all sugars and fats are created equal. Vitamin water contains crystalline fructose and Ivaguely remember reading somewhere that that's better for you than HFCS.

a lot of juice has a lot of suger in it to....which isnt good....but I drink powerade option a lot...it taste good and its low in sugar...

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Well for Gatorade I know for a fact, you're not supposed to drink it unless you're doing a high amount of exercise and truly NEED that much to replace what you've lost. Also, Gatorade I've read is incredibly bad for your teeth, like soda.

Yeap.

As was stated above, sports drinks should only be used right before, during, and immediately after strenuous activity. Most of them contain a ton of sugar.

Fruit juices that contain juice concentrates also have a lot of sugar. You should drink only 100% juice that contains no added sugar or juice concentrate.Manufacturers are required to list on the label that their product contains concentrates, so it is pretty easy to find a good one. Juicy Juice, for example,contains concentrates but they are able to claim it is "100% juice" because they do not use any artificial flavors. They do, however, pack in thesugar. My wife is a chemical engineer in the nutritional industry and she clued me in to this. I trust her. Spend a little time reading labels in the juiceisle and you will find a winner. You can also check a healthy food store like Wild Oats. They carry several.

Also, sodas contain caffeine. It will cause your body to purge liquid and make staying properly hydrated difficult (ever notice how coffee makes you pee?). Inaddition, there have been some studies that have concluded carbonation can inhibit your body's ability to optimally absorb oxygen.

sugar + water + purple = straight.
roll.gif
Word to Chappelle.

The acid in soda is really bad for you. Gatorade and fruit juices aernt really good for you but they are better than soda because they dont hace acid

Originally Posted by nightruans

so what should you drink?
water...

and they both contain the same amount of calories...you look at the label of vitamin water/gatorade and they split it up per 8 oz servings, while cola showsthe serving of the one 12 oz can....but if you are comparing 20oz to 20 oz, then yeah soda is much much worse.

Drink water & take a vitamin pill. Probably come out to a .20 cent cost basis.

I recently started drinking water at restaurants, saves about $5 a bill.

Soda, McDonalds, anything less than 100% Fruit Juice, & High Sodium foods are completely gone from my diet.

Back
Top Bottom