Arrogance of having a college degree

Interesting topic. Chances for being "financially successful" are higher if you do go to college. Definately wouldnt be where i am today had i not gone to college and med school . But college educated or not, if you have bad spending habits/money management and dont live within your means its possible to make a lot of money and still be broke. Also money is nice but it doesn't bring true happiness. My 2 cents. Typing on my phone so overlook any grammatical errors lol

Also money is nice but it doesn't bring true happiness. 
This is another one of those phrases about money that I don't like

Money doesn't buy happiness, but its a large down payment. You aren't attaining "true happiness" without money. You're not going to be able to stabilize a family, friends, yourself, or any of the things people typically cite as being a part of "true happiness" without it. Money is the in the top 5 most important things on earth. You cant live without money and the more of it you have, the easier and better your life gets.

Last edited:
Everyone's definition of happiness is different though. Its wealthy people that suffer through depression, have bad relationships with their families and children and die lonely , some have committed suicide while on the other hand you have individuals who may not have much financially.but are happy with what they have both family wise and wealth wise and that's a genuine form of happiness to me.

Everyone's definition of being happy or successful is different though but money isn't the end all be all. Sure it helps make things easier but it isn't the absolute answer to happiness.

Don't do it for the money because you will be miserable.
Do you honestly believe this? I think people just say this because its the "right" thing to say. The only reason I do any of the things I do for my career is for the money, its literally the only thing that matters when it comes to a job to me. I would do something I absolutely despise if the money was great and I wouldnt be sad at all, matter of fact if I was doing something I "loved" and broke, I'd be even more mad about that.

The "when you do something that you love, money also comes with it" falls into that umbrella also.
my man it is 100% true. Imagine the amount of stress you would feel hating going into work everyday. At what point is the money no longer worth what your doing? How long could you do something you despise just for the money? A couple years? Months? 

Money cannot buy an emotion.

Money is not a down payment on anything other than houses, cars, etc...

If you go into work everyday hating your job, I don't care how much money you're making, it will wear on you mentally eventually.

Life isn't about money, its about fulfillment, and anyone who claims that their truly fulfilled by money is kidding their self.

Last edited by a moderator:

my man it is 100% true. Imagine the amount of stress you would feel hating going into work everyday. At what point is the money no longer worth what your doing? How long could you do something you despise just for the money? A couple years? Months? 

i'm upset because people put extras on it... they make it seem like its a make or break thing for someone's personality or them as a human being.

hell, lucky luchiano said he wouldnt date a girl that had a college degree.

that lets you know that there are people out here that look down on others for not doing it.

its a hell of a commitment... but it shouldnt define you as a person.

what's the difference between saying you won't date someone who doesn't have a degree? crib? car? job? real hair? a certain weight? a good family background?

it's a preference, we all have them
There shouldn't be a difference. If anything using college educated as a criteria in women that I smash is a lot less shallow than some of the standards thrown around on this site.
There does seem to be a pretty prevalent attitude on NT among a certain segment of members that smashing anything and everything with a pulse and some sort of attractive feature is acceptable and celebrated. perhaps, that's influencing people's strong reaction against having standards in terms of education.

I see your point, but not dating someone because they don't have a degree is different than not dating someone because they don't have a car, etc.
How is it different? Statements like that need to be explained.

If you go into work everyday hating your job, I don't care how much money you're making, it will wear on you mentally eventually.

Life isn't about money, its about fulfillment, and anyone who claims that their truly fulfilled by money is kidding their self.

It's not the money itself that causes the fulfillment. It's the being able to buy your first home or first nice car or putting your kids through school or taking trips to places you've never been to before, etc

Everyone's definition of happiness is different though. Its wealthy people that suffer through depression, have bad relationships with their families and children and die lonely , some have committed suicide while on the other hand you have individuals who may not have much financially.but are happy with what they have both family wise and wealth wise and that's a genuine form of happiness to me.

Everyone's definition of being happy or successful is different though but money isn't the end all be all. Sure it helps make things easier but it isn't the absolute answer to happiness.
These are all true, but I feel that you're taking it to extremes. Of course I would take having my family friends and health over it if it meant I couldnt have them, but otuside of those things nothing is more imporant than having a lot of money and it does play into how happy I am. I know that for a fact cause I'm not as happy as I could be right now and thats a result of not having enough money.

Don't do it for the money because you will be miserable.
Do you honestly believe this? I think people just say this because its the "right" thing to say. The only reason I do any of the things I do for my career is for the money, its literally the only thing that matters when it comes to a job to me. I would do something I absolutely despise if the money was great and I wouldnt be sad at all, matter of fact if I was doing something I "loved" and broke, I'd be even more mad about that.

The "when you do something that you love, money also comes with it" falls into that umbrella also.

I honestly think I could do it forever. The power of apathy is real. All you have to do is not care about it. Like I've said earlier, I doubt I will find a job that I love, thats a reach, odds are you're going to just be able to tolerate your job, and thats ok. If I hate it and th money is great I would be fine, becuase I would use said money to do things outside of worth to ease my mind.

It helps you reach fufillment. Its extremely important in life. Money is the queen of the chessboard.

As long as you're motivated and productive, shouldn't matter what your education is.

"The world needs plenty of bahtendas!" -The Departed

I have a BS and think I am entitled to a job that at least pays for rent and all of my bills. I didn't dish out thousands on school to work menial jobs like I have been. However, that doesn't mean I believe people who don't have a degree aren't entitled to the same thing.

I don't even think I gained most of my knowledge through college, except for the courses that really put my mind to the test (philosophy, etc). Most of my knowledge comes from life experience, interaction, and reading; which most people have with or without a degree.

To me it just means a person is capable of setting a long term goal and fulfilling it. I've dated both college educated and non college educated woman and I feel there is an overall personality difference amongst both. One is a social one and the other is a self worth one. College educated girls do better in social environments and they value themselves more which makes them more attractive to me. They tend to be more goal oriented in life too which is what attracts me. The non college educated girls tend to get shy around family/friends and are always more clingy with me. They also seem to be more content with where they are in life. Of course there are exceptions on both sides but overall that has been my experience.

I feel the same way about traveling. I feel like women who travel have a whole other perspective/appreciation for the world than women who've been stuck in their cities their whole life.

This has nothing to do with someone being a better person than the other however. I think a degree and who you are as a person are mutually exclusive. Just saying I see personality differences overall between the two. Flame me.

Last edited:
Lucky in this thread sounds like homie with the ponytail in Good Will Hunting :rofl:

"You dropped $150 grand on an education you could've got for a a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library" :wow: :lol:

I won't date someone who has bad credit or a lot of debt over their head before a degree or not.
This is fair, on that same note I wouldnt expect anyone to do that for me. Its a give and take. I wouldnt want to burden anyone with my debt and I would hope no one does that to me.

I won't date someone who has bad credit or a lot of debt over their head before a degree or not.
This is fair, on that same note I wouldnt expect anyone to do that for me. Its a give and take. I wouldnt want to burden anyone with my debt and I would hope no one does that to me.

So not dating someone with debt is fair but not dating someone without a degree isn't ? I'm sure they are great people out there with f'd up credit :lol: srs

Lucky in this thread sounds like homie with the ponytail in Good Will Hunting
roll.gif

"You dropped $150 grand on an education you could've got for a a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library"
eek.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

One of my favorites. 

So not dating someone with debt is fair but not dating someone without a degree isn't ? I'm sure they are great people out there with f'd up credit
laugh.gif
srs
Yes. One reeks of arrogance while the other one is a rational financial decision.

I would have no problems dating someone with debt, but COMMITTING TO THEM? No way. Making someone elses debt mine is not in my plans and on that same token I wouldnt want anyone to do that for me. If someone said that they wouldnt marry me until I'm debt free I would totally understand. Its that big of a deal. If I die then that person is stuck with XX,XXXX of debt that they did nothing to accumulate; that isnt fair. Lets not understate the importance of money again here, it makes and breaks marriages all the time.

I have the same mentality towards my own debt now being that it would fall to my parents if I was to die. Its why I have a life insurance policy. If I die, I dont want my family to be burdened with my debt.

Saying that you wont DATE someone because they dont have a degree is laughable. As if they cant speak english or wont keep up with whats deemed intelligent conversation cause they dont have a degree. That is ridiculous.

I wouldnt trip over someone who has bad credit that much, its too easy to screw up and I know that some people just get wool pulled over their eyes to come to that.

Last edited:
Lucky in this thread sounds like homie with the ponytail in Good Will Hunting
roll.gif

"You dropped $150 grand on an education you could've got for a a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library"
eek.gif
laugh.gif
"And if you got a problem with that we can go outside and figure it out" LOL!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom