ART DISCUSSION: What is art? Who/what inspires you?

Boys Noize, you killing it g, I haven't been posting just observing but I had to show some love.
Look forward to seeing more of your work.

I'm not really into art nor do I claim to understand a lot of the aspects of what goes into design and creation of it (beyond throwing/making bowls and vases on the wheel in ceramics from HS :lol:) My knowledge is limited to the most well-known artists (Dali is probably my favorite) but that second piece there is really interesting to me...I'm not sure if its the geometry or the color scheme and relative sizes/directions or using one shape to form everything but I really dig that painting man, awesome job. :smokin :smokin

Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoyed the creation of that. I envision it as part of a series so I'll be creating more soon.

A little more background on that piece... It's titled Sierpinski no. 1 because it's influenced by, and is, the Sierpinski triangle. The Sierpinski triangle is a fractal. What that means is... every equilateral triangle can be broken down into four smaller equilateral triangles which in turn can also each be broken down further into four equilateral triangles until infinity. It's also the tri-force in the Legend of Zelda :lol:

Appreciate the background info man, it's always good to know where/how a piece came about. That's great that it'll be a part of a series, are you going to explore a different shape or geometric fractal with each piece? Now that you mentioned it, I do vaguely remember learning about that back in hs in a couple of my classes too....but def post your future paintings in the series though, I'd be really interested in seeing them...I wish I was more artistic :lol: Do you know of any more artists who work with fractals or that style? Or anyone similar to the style of painting Dali worked with? :smokin :nerd:

Indeed, that geometric piece is quite wonderful. I'd say it was a departure from your figurative works, but I actually see how the two inform each other, which is pretty awesome

I wish I could paint. Haven't worked on a piece since graduating. I have the time, but not the space to paint. Though for the last 3 weeks, I've been honing my skills as a draftsman so hopefully the counts for something.

[COLOR=#red]Njideka Akunyili[/COLOR]

A recent graduate (2011) of Yale's MFA and a rising star in the contemporary scene.

My art addresses my internal tension between my deep love for Nigeria, my country of birth, and my strong appreciation for Western culture, which has profoundly influenced both my life and my art. I use my art as a way to negotiate my seemingly contradictory loyalties to both my cherished Nigerian culture that is currently eroding and to my white American husband.

Cradle your conquest. 2012

Nkem. 2012

Wedding Portrait. 2012

Nwantinti. 2012

The Rest of Her Remains. 2012

...​

Appreciate the background info man, it's always good to know where/how a piece came about. That's great that it'll be a part of a series, are you going to explore a different shape or geometric fractal with each piece? Now that you mentioned it, I do vaguely remember learning about that back in hs in a couple of my classes too....but def post your future paintings in the series though, I'd be really interested in seeing them...I wish I was more artistic :lol: Do you know of any more artists who work with fractals or that style? Or anyone similar to the style of painting Dali worked with? :smokin :nerd:

As far as the Sierpinski series, I will continue using the Sierpinski triangle but in different configurations, compositions, as well as color palettes. Haven't thought beyond that yet. I'm not sure of any other artist that works with fractals. I can however recommend other other artists that have worked with grids or color field. These are all big names so if you have a contemporary art museum near where you live you should be able to find some of their work on view. Trust me when I say, all art, good art anyway, looks best in person. The first time I saw a Rothko in person I nearly teared up.

Mark Rothko
Piet Mondrian
Agnes Martin
Richard Diebenkorn
Frank Stella
Josef Albers
Henri Matisse

As for more Surrealist stuff...I absolutely adore Rene Magritte's paintings. Check him out.

Wow SuperAntigen, Njideka Akunyili's work looks impressive. I'd love to see her work in person some time. I have a feeling they're massive in scale judging by her use of collage...

Wow SuperAntigen, Njideka Akunyili's work looks impressive. I'd love to see her work in person some time. I have a feeling they're massive in scale judging by her use of collage...

She has about 4 or 5 pieces showing right now, in a group exhibition, at the Studio Museum in Harlem. You're in Brooklyn so it wouldn't be too long of a train ride.

She has about 4 or 5 pieces showing right now, in a group exhibition, at the Studio Museum in Harlem. You're in Brooklyn so it wouldn't be too long of a train ride.

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to go try and check it out. Haven't made it up to Harlem yet either so this could be a good excuse to go.

As far as the Sierpinski series, I will continue using the Sierpinski triangle but in different configurations, compositions, as well as color palettes. Haven't thought beyond that yet. I'm not sure of any other artist that works with fractals. I can however recommend other other artists that have worked with grids or color field. These are all big names so if you have a contemporary art museum near where you live you should be able to find some of their work on view. Trust me when I say, all art, good art anyway, looks best in person. The first time I saw a Rothko in person I nearly teared up.

Mark Rothko
Piet Mondrian
Agnes Martin
Richard Diebenkorn
Frank Stella
Josef Albers
Henri Matisse

As for more Surrealist stuff...I absolutely adore Rene Magritte's paintings. Check him out.

:nthat: *my man gif* thanks boss definitely gonna check for these at the art museum once I get back to philly 

[COLOR=#red]El Anatsui[/COLOR]

Currently showing at the Brooklyn Museum (Feb. 8th - Aug. 4th)

El Anatsui was born in Anyanko, Ghana in 1944. Many of Anatsui’s sculptures are mutable in form, conceived to be so free and flexible that they can be shaped in any way and altered in appearance for each installation. Working with wood, clay, metal, and—most recently—the discarded metal caps of liquor bottles, Anatsui breaks with sculpture’s traditional adherence to forms of fixed shape while visually referencing the history of abstraction in African and European art. The colorful and densely patterned fields of the works assembled from discarded liquor-bottle caps also trace a broader story of colonial and postcolonial economic and cultural exchange in Africa, told in the history of cast-off materials. The sculptures in wood and ceramics introduce ideas about the function of objects (their destruction, transformation, and regeneration) in everyday life, and the role of language in deciphering visual symbols.

http://www.art21.org/artists/el-anatsui

Red Block, 2010. Aluminum and copper wire, Two pieces, each 200 3/4 x 131 1/2 in. (509.9 x 334 cm).

Gravity and Grace, 2010. Aluminum and copper wire, 145 5/8 x 441 in. (369.9 x 1120.1 cm).

Amemo (Mask of Humankind) (detail), 2010. Aluminum and copper wire, 208 5/8 x 161 3/8 in. (529.9 x 409.9 cm).

Gli (Wall), 2010. Aluminum and copper wire.

Last edited:
Last painting that I worked on.

Self Portrait After Rembrandt's Bust of an Old Man in Fur Cap, 2012. Oil and Dutch Wax Fabric.

...​

Last edited:
I'm not complaining, just telling it like it is,

what I said was, each 36in x 48in plate takes 6 to 8 hrs

but I can only carve for an hour at a time

Going to art school it was thoroughly pushed upon me that art was subjective. So every piece was open to different interpretations. With that being said most of the art you see, if you thinks it's trash, you're probably right. I've seen a lot of hacks, especially local artist, some instructors even. Id like some Audrey Kawasaki prints though
14777413634_cd9d8ec75f_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom