Artists That Changed Their Style Up For The Worst

antidope

Supporter
I expect this thread to be filled with a lot of KanYe responses, and Ninjahood will say Lloyd Banks but my pick is J.Cole. The change in style and the drastic change in subject matter from The Come Up to Sideline Story was a set back for him IMO. He shouldnt have totally abandoned what he was doing back then cause IMO he would be better if he incorporated what he was doing into his more recent work. For those who may not know what I'm referring too, go listen to The Come Up, theres a lot of for lack of a better word gangsta rap on there. Gunplay, murder, agression, etc etc. None of which you see on any of his stufff past The Warm Up. He got on and just left it in the dust what I only assume is marketability reasons. Shame really
mean.gif

Dude was never and is not now about that gunplay/murder life and even back on the Come Up and Warm Up, he was addressing what was going on in his hometown, not saying it was his lifestyle.  His music has stayed conscious, and outside of a few obvious attempts at radio singles, his style and subject matter have stayed pretty consistent. 

Juelz. I still like dude but he is much much different than what he used to be. Go look up some of his old freestyles. There's one particular I'm thinking of, I believe he's wearing a white tee and Cam is with him. Mad young.

Dude was never and is not now about that gunplay/murder life and even back on the Come Up and Warm Up, he was addressing what was going on in his hometown, not saying it was his lifestyle.  His music has stayed conscious, and outside of a few obvious attempts at radio singles, his style and subject matter have stayed pretty consistent. 
Oh no, I got that much out of it. I always assumed that he wasnt bout that life, but at least he was speaking on it, now he enevr does. IMO it was a great peice for him and added versatility to his music

Last edited:
Wale was the first rapper to come to mind for me. It's amazing how much his music has changed from 100 Miles & Running, Mixtape About Nothing, Paint A Picture days.

Wale...for the worst? he's more popular and has better singles since rolling with MMG

banks....damn near unlistenable.

damn he got worse? he was awful when g-unit first hit he scene. But def kanye for me. loved his first two albums. dudes head got huge. at least jay-z bails him out on some tracks. on a side note 50 is also horrible and has been since after the massacre. heard my life this weekend...em kills it...50 just goin thru the motions with weak as lyrics and no energy. awful

Last edited by a moderator:
images

Method Man did his laid back flow on Shadow Boxing and forgot how to get live on a track thereafter. He's been comatose ever since.

Wiz, even though i think he had little say as his marketing team squeezed him into those white leather pants

Back
Top Bottom