AT&T blocks /b (4chan)

Reports are spreading that AT&T is now blocking 4chan.org's «/b/»-section.

Firing one of the first shots in the net neutrality war, AT&T has blocked 4chan's /b/ image board. AT&T subscribers are unable to connect to /b/ and /r9k/ (both of which are hosted on img.4chan.org). However, subscribers can get on any of the so-called «worksafe» boards that 4chan.org offers.
The problem seems to be present only for wired connections only (AT&T Mobility customers are not affected). The problem is not caused by an DNS-error, as traceroutes indicates that AT&T is dropping img.4chan.org requests in the AT&T network.
Slashdot, Digg & Reddit are now running stories that are rapidly being upvoted about the topic.
http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/c...o_img4chanorg/
As citizens of a free internet, what do we think about this kind of censorship?
UPDATED 1:Confirmation comes from several Reddit users that the website has indeed been blocked in a number of areas in the US and that it is not a technical issue.
UPDATED 2: A mere 5 hours after the problems were first reported on Reddit, sources on /b/ say that members of Anonymous has already started planning retaliation towards AT&T - amongst other things posting personal information about AT&T executives. One might quietly wonder if the AT&T megacorp. knows what's it up against - with 4chan often being referred to as "The Internet Hate Machine".
UPDATED 3: It turns out 15.5% of all US internet users use AT&T DSL, so this is quite a big problem. It will severly affect 4chan, both in regards of traffic and advertising volumes.
UPDATED 4: moot, the founder of 4chan, officially acknowledges the ban - calling for disconcerned users to «call or write customer support and corporate immediately»: http://status.4chan.org … Somehow, I get a feeling they're gonna do a lot more than that, moot.

idk if im late with this or w/e, but arent these the dudes you do not mess with on the internet? lol AT&T will prolly regret doing this

even if you are against the stuff that goes on at that site, you should look at the bigger picture. early stages against net neutrality.

AT&T is done for. At least their site.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
roll.gif
I cant wait to see the news stories in a week.
A mere 5 hours after the problems were first reported on Reddit, sources on /b/ say that members of Anonymous has already started planning retaliation towards AT&T - amongst other things posting personal information about AT&T executives.
2h693b9.gif

Originally Posted by i like shoes too

even if you are against the stuff that goes on at that site, you should look at the bigger picture. early stages against net neutrality.
agreed

net censorship is starting to happen

who was the idiot in at &t to propose and accept this.
damn i thought this was only for phones didnt know they provided dsl service. RIP.

Back
Top Bottom