At what age should you move out of your parent's house an no longer be dependent on your parents?

I think once your done with your studies you should definitely be on the go. If you going to school I think thats more then enough reason to still be at home.But if you out of school already got a job, you should not be with your parents..the one exception might be if your born into wealth and you got a 10 bedroommansion in the Hamptons or something, then you shouldnt even worry about going anywhere.

Sorry but I've got a different plan. My mom is all on her own in this world. The only people she has are my brother and I. I don't want to move out andhave her living all by herself.

My plan is to finish school like at 23 or 24, start working, and buy a bigger, nicer crib for my mom, brother, and me.

Why is it hard to believe owning a home at 22?

The real estate market is low right now. Good time to be buying, then fix it up and flip it.

laugh.gif
Bro, your only kidding yourself if you expect anyone to believe you owna home at 22 years old in NY. Is it possible? Of course, there are always rarities or maybe mommy and daddy, or an inheritance (which btw would mean udidn't obtain it yourself). The only spot your affording a house in NY might be in some run down *%% area somewhere upstate, or you co-own the house withmore than one person. Banks are extra stingy, you need a good number of trade lines on your credit (something that is EXTREMELY difficult to have at age 22)you need atleast 20% down (with the average home price in the state around 350k that means u needed 70k down plus closing costs (doubt you have that but itspossible) then, the most important part, you need atleast 2 years worth of w-2's or 1099's showing you made atleast double the amount of your mortgage+ any debts you have. Try Bull %%$#$**+ someone else you bought your own house at 22 in NY.

To answer the original question its going to vary by state

Its also funny that you think its just so easy to fix a house up and flip for a profit, when its actually very difficult especially when you don't knowwhat your doing
laugh.gif

I have friends who live in apartments/condos payed by mommy and daddy, all expenses such as their car+insurance, food and utilities paid for and yet they stillclaim "I'm independent because I don't live with my parents". SMH...

I once read a quote that said, "we have all matured into our own situations" and it's true because everyone has to assess their own situation anddo what's best for them.
I'm 24 and don't plan on moving until I get a better job. I just got licensed to teach so now I can start working in the real world and be able toafford a nice place. Like others said I'm not going to rush out to live in some dump. Besides that, my dad passed last year so being here for my mom isimportant right now. But to each his own. Don't judge another man unless you've walked in his/her shoes.

Originally Posted by MR MONDAY NIIGHT

laugh.gif
@owning your own home at 22...who you foolin'?

- yeah okay.....

- if you joined the military at 17 or 18 owning a home at 22 is a veryattainable goal. as a veteran you can use your VA status to buy a home with no money down and use it towards 4-7% towards closing costs costing you $0. all youwould need is a job to sustain the mortgage.

- i moved out at 17, ive always had a hard time understanding spoiled brats BS justifications for still living at home after 18.......be it college or anythingelse
eyes.gif
. much less mommy and daddy paying for a car and/or still giving you spending money
smh.gif
laugh.gif

- i
roll.gif
at the threads i see in here talking about issues with parents andmoney when the OP is 18 and over......

- im 30 and have a cousin the same age as me STILL hanging on mom and dads tit for any and everything.

How many 22 year old's you know have their own home? The only people I know that are around my age that moved out are living paycheck topaycheck and i refuse to live like that.

I don't understand why people feel they need to do something by a certain age like moving out, getting married, etc etc.

I think if a young man goes straight to work after HS, he should be on his way out of his parents house by 21. That would give him about three years of workingand saving to go out and get his own place.

For a student, I would think that they should be out of their parents' house no later than 2-3 years after graduating. Some come out with great jobs thatallow them to afford their own place. We all have different paths. I finished school in Dec of '05 and moved out March of '07.

Some parents just don't mind.

Originally Posted by MR MONDAY NIIGHT

How many 22 year old's you know have their own home? The only people I know that are around my age that moved out are living paycheck to paycheck and i refuse to live like that.

I don't understand why people feel they need to do something by a certain age like moving out, getting married, etc etc.

- i knew a few back then. the point i was making is it is very possible. your comment suggested its so out of reach its laughable.....which was laughable tome.

- i put an age on it because thats the legal age to be able to move out and provide for yourself legally. so yeah, i stick to what i said in 17-18 is the maximum you should be in your parents house.
- there's and education you obtain while having to deal with the real world on your own at that age that cannot be taught by mommy and daddy. sadly as wego on more and more youth are used to living with mommy and daddy until they are damn near 30, be it physically or financially. the more we go on the moreacceptable it will be to stay at home longer.

- im not tripping i learned YEARS AGO it most of my peers that didnt, im cool with that, let them be happy in their ignorance. you ask me how many 22 yo i knowwith a house....do you kow how many 25+ yo i know that dont know +!$+ about personal finance, paying bills, the concept of money/credit, how to be a parent,the list goes on.......you know why?? all because they spent the better part of their early twenties letting mommy and daddy do everything for them.

- but hey, this is NT. i wouldnt expect to many o here to understand any of these concepts at all.....

18?
laugh.gif
If you go to college at all there's no way you should be moving out til after you graduate. I mean I have my own apartment down at school butthere are no jobs in Blacksburg and why would I pass up free meals while I'm working at home? I don't plan on moving out til at least a year after Igraduate so that I have a year to work and pay off some of my student loans while living rent free. I have a feeling most of you on here talking about 18 and21 aren't going to college or something. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just two different situations and there's no reason toact like you're a loser if you're 23 still going to school and living with your parents. I don't know a single person that goes to school and liveson their own unless they are rich and their parents bought their own place for them.

unfortunately for me at age 19, I've only had one job off the books($7/ph) easy job, besides that I try my best to network with people as a freelance web/graphic designer. Most of my money like an idiot went to material things (clothes, sneakers, fish tanks (3), and last but not least mary jane, not that i regret it but I could've spent my money more wisely. now im going to start college and im worried how will i be able to squeeze a job within my classes, looks like i will have to get some piff to hold me down for the least =/. by the way i got a older sister (28) who will never move out my parents house so im trying to get out. also i have a 32 year old brother still living in the basement god knows when hes moving, i have no personal space whats so ever, but i am thankful for the roof over my head and food on my plate

Every situation is different. But if you're on the wrong side of 30, and still at home, then there's a problem.

i wouldnt say 18 cuz kids are just gettin out of high school..id say a good age is 22...cuz thats when most people are finishing college and
should be starting a life of their own..finding a good job...and being dependent upon urself

"If you over 18 and still living with your mother, that's a got d shame, if you know what I mean." - Lil' Flip... says the guy who's 1stcar was a Jaguar and he's been rapping since 17.

Not everybody is a rapper.

When you're financially stable - move out.

Until then, work and ssave.

I'm 19 and going into my 3rd year of college. I'm still at home.

I think you should be moved out after college and once you get a good paying job.

independence is a state of mind. if you stay at home with your parents but pay all of your bills you are independent. I'm 24 going to graduate in a year. Ipay my way through school and also pay car,insurance, cell phone etc. The only i don't pay for is rent and i help my mom by doing work around the house. Ican tell that the ones putting an arbitrary age of when you should move out haven't experienced real life yet. one last thing, if you live in subsidizedhousing or in a sect 8 home or apt or have a bridge card or are on public assitance in any way, you are not "independent". somebody is takin care ofyou !!!!!!!!!!!

I'm 26 and been completely on my own since I was around 24 had a rough spot where I couldn't find a job after college but now I am hitting my stride.Even when I was living at home I made an effort to contribute what little bit of resources I had. One of my homeboys is living foul though, he is also 26 andhe STILL GETS ALLOWANCE. Last week we were going to Microcenter dude on the phone begging for money to buy like a lil kid. It is gettingrather annoying to be around him . Some people don't move out of thier parents house until they get married. One of my other boys is clocking 6 figures andstill lives with his parents but culturally its not right for him to leave until he is married.He certainly pays many of the bills and takes his family onvacations and so forth so its cool in my eyes.

I officially moved out of my parents house when I turned 23 even though I technically moved out at 18. At one point I struggled paycheck to paycheck since Iwas working and going to school at the same. There shouldn't be an age limit when a person should move out...but I do believe a person should move out whenthere capable of taking care of his or herself. It's not bad to have to struggle at one point of your life like I did because that will teach you how tocherish whatever you have or make in life real talk. Every person should go through that at least ones in your life. If not then you really don't know whatlife is.

Originally Posted by Treb2k5

"If you over 18 and still living with your mother, that's a got d shame, if you know what I mean." - Lil' Flip... says the guy who's 1st car was a Jaguar and he's been rapping since 17.

Not everybody is a rapper.

When you're financially stable - move out.

Until then, work and ssave.
yea u right... not everybody hits the lotto either to get in the rap game either lmao... (yes lil flip hit the lotto and thats how he REALLY goton)

I'd say 18 for me personally,but I would have saved a lot of money if I had of stayed at home and gone to college in my hometown
Move out when you're ready tho, 18 for some others it might not be til 25++, to each their own I guess

Back
Top Bottom