Athletes World is Closing

I guess Canadian Tire feels they don't need AW anymore since they already have Sportchek, National Sports, et. al. They used to be good until they started focusing on stuff like Ecko and Phat Pharm.

Sad to see them but that's the business cycle I guess. I got some great OG Nikes when they first dropped at the STC location.

Then as the above poster mentioned they started to really load up on ghetto trash lines like Phat Farm, Ecko, and other such garbage & the clientele moved on, got older, etc.

Their pricing was so & so, but that led to some really good outlet & clearance store finds back when they had liquidation spots around the GTA

yeah, they had a few outlets and then they opened their own bargain shop/outlet type store - The Score. Back in the 90s and early 00s they had good prices compared to FL. I remember the one at Dufferin Mall selling the XVIs for $150 while the FL in the same mall sold it for like $220. Damn, I should have picked up a few pairs back then. I also remember some stores had the Nike shop connected to it.

Athletes World in my area just recenlty even had Air Jordan IV Mars/Military! Hopefully this all leads to a good sale!!!!!

They used to be on par with Champs and Foot Locker back in the day. In recent years, they just started focusing on low-end apparel. It's really disappointing to go to one that used to be the spot and see what it's reduced to now.

I used to work at Athlete's World back in the day. The only good thing we got was the Jordan XI Concord, and I bought all the 10.5's in the store! I worked at the downtown Vancouver location and helped Snoop Dogg, and Jessica Alba shop in the store. Well, I was actually told by Snoop's bodyguard to "back off, and let him shop!" HAHA!

I used to work at Athlete's World back in the day. The only good thing we got was the Jordan XI Concord, and I bought all the 10.5's in the store! I worked at the downtown Vancouver location and helped Snoop Dogg, and Jessica Alba shop in the store. Well, I was actually told by Snoop's bodyguard to "back off, and let him shop!" HAHA!

How long ago was this? I used to work there back in the day as well. They also got the Columbia XI's if I'm not mistaken.

Biggest come-up for me was buying the yellow Kobe 2's for $60 and trading them to someone on NT for a pair of NDS Cool Greys. Considering the CG's didn't come out in Canada, this was crazy.

Ah man, the good old days...

I also used to work there, it started going downhill when bata sold them to the farzani group, but before that they were almost sold to the same group that owned stitches and a bunch of other crappy stores. that sale never went though though but it was too late, they had already gotten some of their terrible product into the stores.

its too bad. they used to have some sick stuff before they went all 'urban'. i miss shoe strings too.

Back
Top Bottom