Attending Funerals (Mature Discussion)

Two days ago, I found out someone I knew passed away. She died from complications of pneumonia. The thing is, I'm not really looking forward to seeanother young friend laid in some casket.

A couple of years back, another classmate of mine died from a heart attack. That was more than enough for me. The two of us wasn't really that close, butI still considered her as a friend. I knew her since middle school.

The weird thing is that I always used to think about who would attend my funeral.

In your opinion, do you think its a sign a disrespect if I don't go? She was definitely cool peoples, but I just can't deal with sad environments, nomatter how happy you should actually be for the deceased thats moving on to a better place.

Thoughts?

i'm not big on funerals but I feel like you should pay your respects

atleast go to the viewing

its a personal choice to go. I dont think its a bad thing if you feel like you dont want to be there. Ive never been saddened by deaths or funerals, so im notexactly sure what your situation is like.

Personally, I just don't like attending funerals...It's sad to see someone that you know laid up like that.

Essentially, it puts everything in perspective to get your life together because it will pass you by.

Originally Posted by bbanks707

its a personal choice to go. I dont think its a bad thing if you feel like you dont want to be there. Ive never been saddened by deaths or funerals, so im not exactly sure what your situation is like.

Right. Its not that I'm saddened to the point where I'm crying or whatnot, its just the overall environment is depressing. The feeling justsucks. I think I'm going to send flowers.

I buried my Aunt and Uncle in February of this year. They died a week apart from each other. My Uncle died of a mis-diagnosis which lead to internal bleeding.While my Aunt had died of cancer. They shared the same viewing and funeral. I'm still trying to get over it up to this day because my Uncle lived with me.

However you need to deal with mourning, do as you feel most comfortable to you.

But I highly recommend that you pay your respects to the family though.

I didn't attend my ex girlfriends wake, but I went the the funeral. When I was there I just played the sidelines, and I stood by myself, death is hard.

Either way I believe you should go to the funeral at least.

It's good that you're sending flowers, and in most cultures funerals aren't meant to be fun, so even if you don't like the atmosphere youshould go for the sake of the person.

I say you should go, if you don't you'll be kicking yourself later down the road
frown.gif

I can't handle funerals either. I skipped out on 2 since the summer.

I pray for the families.

Told myself I would never attend another funeral until its mine when my friend died in 03. I know I will have to go to a few before mine though.

Originally Posted by bgizzle1186

Two days ago, I found out someone I knew passed away. She died from complications of pneumonia. The thing is, I'm not really looking forward to see another young friend laid in some casket.

A couple of years back, another classmate of mine died from a heart attack. That was more than enough for me. The two of us wasn't really that close, but I still considered her as a friend. I knew her since middle school.

The weird thing is that I always used to think about who would attend my funeral.

In your opinion, do you think its a sign a disrespect if I don't go? She was definitely cool peoples, but I just can't deal with sad environments, no matter how happy you should actually be for the deceased thats moving on to a better place.

Thoughts?

same i always wonder this.

same position as you're in

one of my best friend's friend just passed away due to a car accident.

I didnt attend the wake but I went to his funeral.

I never met the dude but I really feel for his family and friends.

Its one of these experiences that makes you appreciate life a little more

RIP Anthony

YO! I've been attending funerals since I was as young as 4. It never really bothered but I know people aren't comfortable at funerals, and I understandit. Mourn how you mourn. If you'd like to send the family a card, attend the burial, wait a week or two and go by the grave. I'm not one to think thatwhen I'm no longer here, those not in attendance just simply didn't care or love me. DF!!!

Thanks Ant...

I just didn't want to seem like I didn't care about her. I just wanted to show other ways to show my respect.

Good lookin' out.

In my opinion you should go. But I know what you mean, I don't do well at funerals...

I would go. I couldn't imagine not going to a friends funeral who was pertinent in my life. If it was your funeral, would you mind if that persondidn't go?

bgizzle, honestly, are you even reading the posts that tell you to go or are you just looking for people to say that its ok if you do not go? You shoulddefinitely go to the burial or else you could regret it down the road.

Back
Top Bottom