ATTN: College Track and Field athletes! VOL. Help PLEASE!

I graduated HS 2 years ago, c/o 2008. I was in track and field my freshmen year in high school but didn't take it seriously(I only did the high jump). And I played football soph-senior year so I am somewhat athletic. So here I am 2 years later... Would it be too late for me to start a track career and get a scholarship to a university? I would be interested in doing the long jump, sprints, and possibly hurdles.

Any tips, advice, criticism, or questions are appreciated.

....... I'm not a track and field athlete, just someone with common sense. I'd say no chance whatsoever. Id be shocked if anyone said anything different.

Saying that you're somewhat athletic is too vague (and I hope your use of the word somewhat is just you being modest). If you get times and marks for some events, you'll be able to get better advice because people will know what level you're at.  Testing marks from football would also help. 

If you're willing to compete at DII, DIII or NAIA level and/or willing to take a smaller scholarship or walk on initially, your chances will increase (assuming you even have any potential in the first place). I think DIII doesn't offer scholarships though. Not sure about NAIA.

Also, if you're considering this primarily because you want to get a free education, you should know that you have to be very good to get a full ride. Most scholarship track athletes are on partials.

is it to late for you to start running track competitively? absolutely not, but all that other stuff about earning a scholarship, making track into a career, etc is a different issue all together.

you say you're athletic but are you fast? what are you doing right now school wise? are you at a CC, four-year university, ya moms couch?

this is a strange thread, normally when people ask for insight like this they give more information to go off of.

if you were just coming out of high school with no educational plans I would say enroll at your local community college and talk to the coach about joining the team. from there worry your talent level, getting better, scholarships, etc.

Originally Posted by rothypejc

Saying that you're somewhat athletic is too vague (and I hope your use of the word somewhat is just you being modest). If you get times and marks for some events, you'll be able to get better advice because people will know what level you're at.  Testing marks from football would also help. 

If you're willing to compete at DII, DIII or NAIA level and/or willing to take a smaller scholarship or walk on initially, your chances will increase (assuming you even have any potential in the first place). I think DIII doesn't offer scholarships though. Not sure about NAIA.

Also, if you're considering this primarily because you want to get a free education, you should know that you have to be very good to get a full ride. Most scholarship track athletes are on partials.
I've been to 2 combines, and a football camp where we tested. I was able to run a 4.5 40(multiple times, first time I ran a 40 I got 49, improved to a 4.5 by doing hangcleans, running tires, agility ladder, and learning the technique) and the highest vertical leap I've gotten was 36.5''.

I would be willing to compete at a DII, currently at a CC where there is no track team. There's a another cc by me that has a team though.

And I'd be more than happy with a partial scholarship. Thanks for your input, really appreciate it!

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

is it to late for you to start running track competitively? absolutely not, but all that other stuff about earning a scholarship, making track into a career, etc is a different issue all together.

you say you're athletic but are you fast? what are you doing right now school wise? are you at a CC, four-year university, ya moms couch?

this is a strange thread, normally when people ask for insight like this they give more information to go off of.

if you were just coming out of high school with no educational plans I would say enroll at your local community college and talk to the coach about joining the team. from there worry your talent level, getting better, scholarships, etc.
My 40 yd dash time is 4.5(I tried to google how it transfers to the 100m but couldn't find anything), I'm sure with the right training I could get even faster. I think I'd be better at sprints rather than long distance.

Currently at a CC. Finishing up my 2nd semester. My frosh year I attended CSU Eastbay.

And I'm guessing you're from Oakland? Do you know of any cc's that have a good track program? I see that Chabot offers track and field, I'll probably contact them sometime in the near future

The 40 time and vertical leap sound good (although I'll say that I'm always skeptical of 40 times at these high school events because of inconsistent timing). Hopefully you can get back to that level or better.

I'd recommend that you try to get on the team at the other CC. Like already mentioned, from there you can focus on learning and getting better. If you get to the point where you can be serious about transferring and joining a team at a 4-year school, be proactive in contacting coaches and letting them know about who you are and your interest.

^^Laney College has a great program, their head coach is Curtis Taylor. i know him personally, he's a good guy. he's notorious for letting high school athletes train with his squads. I'd recommend getting in contact with him, tell him you're trying to get back into track and field and that you'd like to work out with him, he'll most likely let you train with him during their summer workouts.

here's a link to Laney's track page, although it doesn't look like it's been updated in a year or two: http://www.laney.peralta.edu/apps/comm.asp?$1=30300

It's not too late, with the right training and preparation you can probably run at a D-II. But as far as making the olympic trials naw that's dead.

I actually did what you were trying to do.

I took two years off after high school to run D-2 track. I was a good mile and 800 meter runner in high school
but decided school was more important. But I did decide to run and you really have to dedicate yourself to compete at any level.

The first year coach told me I could practice with the squad and got a lot better but I decided to try the
400m and 200m because I though it easier to catch on because I ran around 50s in 4x400 in HS.

Anyways, next year I was able to run at several meets but I wasn't really competing against top guys because
I was running high 49s ND low 50s and others were running around 48s. My grades were also going down so I decided
to quit.

In terms of getting a scholarship, it depends where you're at and you have to be a top guy to even be considered
for a scholarship

Go run track for Iowa Western CC. They're always looking for people
smh.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom