Automation is Real. Vol. Tesla coming for Truck Drivers next

http://www.newsweek.com/tesla-semi-truck-elon-musk-710689

The class-8 tractor will likely be white and black, and look a bit like the helmets Storm Troopers wear in Star Wars. The front of the truck won’t have a hood or a grill; instead it will have a sharply sloped front with large windows that curve upwards. Musk has hinted that the Semi will have two motors, likely located on the rear axles. The batteries and power electronics will be stored beneath the cab.

The truck will be outfitted with some self-driving features, and may have the ability to become fully autonomous when and if the U.S. government approves of driverless trucks. Tesla’s cars already have this option programmed in and will need only a quick upgrade to be completely self-driving.

tesla-reddit.jpg
REDDIT

The design is sleek and futuristic, but there are some concerns about the practicality of the truck. The Tesla’s batteries will likely have to be recharged or replaced every 200 to 300 miles, while long-distance semis are capable of traveling 1,000 miles before refueling. That means the Tesla semi will only be practical for day trips with multiple stops.

The batteries the truck uses are just too heavy and expensive to go any further, according to a Carnegie Mellon study. They also limit the amount of cargo the truck will be able to hold as a battery for a 300-mile electric truck would weigh almost nine tons.

I really need to finish getting out of debt and get into something related to autonomous vehicles. I find them and the field so interesting.

I really need to finish getting out of debt and get into something related to autonomous vehicles. I find them and the field so interesting.
I think the biggest issue confronting car automation is the demand? I would argue yes.

I was reading a recent article that went into great detail and supporting evidence as to why there will be demand. I never really thought about it, but for those of us that drive to work, its one of the toughest things we do all day.

THanks for reminding me keep forgetting to buy Tesla stocks will do once I get my tax return money.

This particular industry could use the automation. Driver turnover is constantly over 100% and there's a lack of capacity due to driver shortages.

These will be used for long haul moves at first. A driver will get them out of city limits and another driver will pick them up prior to arriving within destination city limits. Coordinators will act similar to airplane coordinators where they're managing a fleet of trucks instead of a sole driver operating one truck.

I believe Walmart also pledged/purchased 15 of these trucks as well. Someone correct me if im wrong

Back
Top Bottom