AZKALS!!! Philippine National Football Team

pimp.gif

Game is done, with the Mongols ahead 2-1... But Azkals will still advance to the next round coz they are ahead, 3-2 in total goals...

Congrats to the Philippine team!

Game is done, with the Mongols ahead 2-1... But Azkals will still advance to the next round coz they are ahead, 3-2 in total goals...

Congrats to the Philippine team!

Despite the loss, we advanced to the group stage with a 3-2 aggregate win...

THE DRAW

Playoffs (February 9 and 16, 2011)

Playoff 1: Bhutan vs Afghanistan
Playoff 2: Philippines vs Mongolia
Playoff 3: Chinese Taipei vs Laos
Playoff 4: Cambodia vs Macau

GROUP STAGE (March 20-31, 2011)

Group A: Myanmar, Palestine, Bangladesh, winner of playoff 2 (Philippines)
Group B: Turkmenistan, India, winner of playoff 3, Pakistan
Group C: Tajikistan, Maldives, winner of playoff 4, Kyrgyzstan
Group D: DPR Korea, winner of playoff 1, Nepal, Sri Lanka

Despite the loss, we advanced to the group stage with a 3-2 aggregate win...

THE DRAW

Playoffs (February 9 and 16, 2011)

Playoff 1: Bhutan vs Afghanistan
Playoff 2: Philippines vs Mongolia
Playoff 3: Chinese Taipei vs Laos
Playoff 4: Cambodia vs Macau

GROUP STAGE (March 20-31, 2011)

Group A: Myanmar, Palestine, Bangladesh, winner of playoff 2 (Philippines)
Group B: Turkmenistan, India, winner of playoff 3, Pakistan
Group C: Tajikistan, Maldives, winner of playoff 4, Kyrgyzstan
Group D: DPR Korea, winner of playoff 1, Nepal, Sri Lanka

[h2]Phil Younghusband hopes to play Myanmar game despite injury[/h2]MANILA, Philippines – Azkals striker Phil Younghusband hopes to recover from the hamstring injury he sustained during the Azkals’ triumphant game against Mongolia in time for their upcoming match against Myanmar.
In a phone patch report by ABS-CBN sportscaster Dyan Castillejo on “Umagang Kay Ganda,

[h2]Phil Younghusband hopes to play Myanmar game despite injury[/h2]MANILA, Philippines – Azkals striker Phil Younghusband hopes to recover from the hamstring injury he sustained during the Azkals’ triumphant game against Mongolia in time for their upcoming match against Myanmar.
In a phone patch report by ABS-CBN sportscaster Dyan Castillejo on “Umagang Kay Ganda,

Big ups to Anton del Ro and Aly, former contemporaries/adversaries during HS and college.

Big ups to Anton del Ro and Aly, former contemporaries/adversaries during HS and college.

3-0 kuwait wins.. azkals seem too tired in the 2nd half.. if it wasn't for neil etheridge we would've been down by a larger margin.. kuwait defense was really top notch.

3-0 kuwait wins.. azkals seem too tired in the 2nd half.. if it wasn't for neil etheridge we would've been down by a larger margin.. kuwait defense was really top notch.

Originally Posted by lugzzy

Kuwait defense was pretty good indeed, but it was their pinpoint passing and control of midfield that did the Azkals in. I guess they really missed Borromeo and Schrott in midfield. 
Also, I can't understand for the life of me why they kept on attempting to make long passes/long through balls the entire game. The Kuwaitis had their number there, so for me they should have made shorter, crisper passes and try and set the up plays from that.

In the end, I think it was really the Kuwaitis' control of midfield that changed the game. The Azkal midfielders had to drop back and defend the upper midfield area. Thus, whenever a counter-attack was possible, only the two forwards were up there, with nobody in the middle to pass to. 

Anyone know what formation Coach Weiss used during the game?

P.S. Too bad about the first attempt by Phil Younghusband, followed by that header that hit the crossbar. The Azkals could've opened up the scoring, but could not capitalize. 

Originally Posted by lugzzy

Kuwait defense was pretty good indeed, but it was their pinpoint passing and control of midfield that did the Azkals in. I guess they really missed Borromeo and Schrott in midfield. 
Also, I can't understand for the life of me why they kept on attempting to make long passes/long through balls the entire game. The Kuwaitis had their number there, so for me they should have made shorter, crisper passes and try and set the up plays from that.

In the end, I think it was really the Kuwaitis' control of midfield that changed the game. The Azkal midfielders had to drop back and defend the upper midfield area. Thus, whenever a counter-attack was possible, only the two forwards were up there, with nobody in the middle to pass to. 

Anyone know what formation Coach Weiss used during the game?

P.S. Too bad about the first attempt by Phil Younghusband, followed by that header that hit the crossbar. The Azkals could've opened up the scoring, but could not capitalize. 

Back
Top Bottom