Bad Landlord: Would you take legal action???

So here is the story short and sweet:
Moved into a place in March 2011 and ended lease on 5/31/12; had many issues with the landlord which include but not limited to:

-Honeybees infested inside the walls of the house which I made the landlord aware of on May 2011 but he never did anything about it and they would swarm outside the house which the neighbors complained about to me

-Wasn't painted as promised when I moved in; offered me $700+ to paint it but never supplied all the paint; etc. then asked me to get it and he'd reimburse to which I said F that but I still painted half the place with what I had

-garbage disposal broke and it was 3 months before he finally had it fixed

-hot water heat broke and it took a week before he finally did anything about it; also didn't work upon moving in so I went 5 days from the start of the lease w/o hot water

PA law states a landlord must return a security deposit within 30 days with a list of what was taken out; I left the house in better condition than when I moved but I refused to do spot cleaning for this guy.  I just asked where my deposit is and he stated he will get to to me within 45 days so at this point I am done and ready to just take legal action against this dude.  He isn't a bad guy he just doesn't get it and is a terrible landlord.

Bottomline:  I don't need the money but I want my ENTIRE deposit back which is $1250 due to the neglected issues and he's past the law deadline and I have a feeling he tries to nickel and dime me for not spot cleaning.

With all you mentioned hell yes I would pursue legal action if I was you

I told him give me my ENTIRE $1250 back before Friday and he is cool and we will go separate ways otherwise he will have a lawsuit pending
this guy is so dumb he will still prob. try and take money out of it 
laugh.gif

I came to find out from our old neighbor who is made cool that he had tenants before who got a lawyer and broke their lease 4 months in; I should have done this since I wanted to buy a condo in October 

If you have your requests in writing with a date stamp of when it was sent and when (if) the issues were resolved then you might have a case. It might be difficult to get the final portion of your security deposit back if you didn't take before & after pics when you moved in and out. But from what you described, you should have a pretty good case if you can produce some evidence and/or witnesses of the grievances against the landlord.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

If you have your requests in writing with a date stamp of when it was sent and when (if) the issues were resolved then you might have a case. It might be difficult to get the final portion of your security deposit back if you didn't take before & after pics when you moved in and out. But from what you described, you should have a pretty good case if you can produce some evidence and/or witnesses of the grievances against the landlord.

well the one thing is; people will vouch for me around the neighborhood and he has already broken the law by not getting me my deposit back within 30 days with a list of anything he decided to withhold 
I just want my $1250 back and it will be cool, a penny less and I will make an example out of him 

I'd go see an attorney who will let you know if you have a good case or not, sounds like this dude was an %$@$@!+.

file a lawsuit if you want.  you won't make money from the guy but you will get your full security deposit back.
tenants have all the rights (i'm a landlord myself)

Originally Posted by GottaBeEm21

file a lawsuit if you want.  you won't make money from the guy but you will get your full security deposit back.
tenants have all the rights (i'm a landlord myself)
I don't want to make money off the guy; I want my deposit back and hope he learns a lesson from this and treats his next tenants the way a landlord should 

Things in writing are mandatory

Pictures will help. Before and after you moved in to prove the condition of the place before you moved in then after. Sometimes disputes like these can take a long time and possibly cost more in lawyer fees.

Hit him first with properly written letter stating the condition of the apartment and the dispute at hand. Hand him one in person then send one through the mail and make sure to have a delivery confirmation in order to prove that he indeed received the letter. All letter signed by you and your lawyer....or better have your lawyer send it. Im sure if he sees your really about it, he will give you the deposit.

Documentation of complaints and receipts of you fixing the issues is very important in order to gain some leverage.

I would just stay in the place for for a couple months in order to discount the amount. But thats just a get even type of thing. Party like its 1999 up in that joint. Build a meth lab.... Etc.

But lawyer up if you wanna teach a lesson. Ive dealt with landlords like this.... Documents, letters and receipts will help. I have no idea if witnesses help. But hey Im not a pro

Originally Posted by MrBrown

Things in writing are mandatory

Pictures will help. Before and after you moved in to prove the condition of the place before you moved in then after. Sometimes disputes like these can take a long time and possibly cost more in lawyer fees.

Hit him first with properly written letter stating the condition of the apartment and the dispute at hand. Hand him one in person then send one through the mail and make sure to have a delivery confirmation in order to prove that he indeed received the letter. All letter signed by you and your lawyer....or better have your lawyer send it. Im sure if he sees your really about it, he will give you the deposit.

Documentation of complaints and receipts of you fixing the issues is very important in order to gain some leverage.

I would just stay in the place for for a couple months in order to discount the amount. But thats just a get even type of thing. Party like its 1999 up in that joint. Build a meth lab.... Etc.

But lawyer up if you wanna teach a lesson. Ive dealt with landlords like this.... Documents, letters and receipts will help. I have no idea if witnesses help. But hey Im not a pro
I don't live there anymore; I left the minute my lease was up and was going to let all this go until 30 days passed (PA Law) to get my security deposit back so now I am ready to roast him if I don't see a check for $1250 by Friday

Back
Top Bottom