Bank teller's on NT? what's it like working as one?

Originally Posted by dream5hift

I was thinking about applying for a teller job next year. I'm currently working as a waiter at a restaurant and think I could handle when customers are pissy.

lol my first job was at  grocery store, I had to deal with young folks around my age to the older people....I think i could do it also.

I'm a bank teller at Amtrust Bank. Before i used to work at BOA. I left BOA because i was getting paid 10 an hour and they raised my pay 80 cents after that. At Amtrust I get paid 13 an hour. Its an ok job but what people fail to see is the stress we tellers put up with. Not only with the customers but with policies and all regulations we have to follow. Most customers are d i c k s, they complain on the smallest things like your attire or if you're wearing a tie or not. The good thing are the hours sundays you're off fridays you get off at 6 and saturdays at 1
pimp.gif
. Another thing is you network with important people i've met like club owners and other business owners that hook you up when you come to their spots. Other then that its an alright job.

I'm a bank teller at Amtrust Bank. Before i used to work at BOA. I left BOA because i was getting paid 10 an hour and they raised my pay 80 cents after that. At Amtrust I get paid 13 an hour. Its an ok job but what people fail to see is the stress we tellers put up with. Not only with the customers but with policies and all regulations we have to follow. Most customers are d i c k s, they complain on the smallest things like your attire or if you're wearing a tie or not. The good thing are the hours sundays you're off fridays you get off at 6 and saturdays at 1
pimp.gif
. Another thing is you network with important people i've met like club owners and other business owners that hook you up when you come to their spots. Other then that its an alright job.

Originally Posted by backpacker23

pimp.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by backpacker23

pimp.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Dmvbatman

Originally Posted by denni5themenace

i used to work as a teller for washington mutual when i was in highschool (internship program).
duties consisted of withdrawals/deposits. loan payments. managing their accounts. try to sell bank products like new credit cards or new interest payments on CD's. etc. nothing TOO crazy.
it was chill for the most part but on certain days like the first of the month, the 15th, or fridays it would get pretty hectic. lines would be out the door after 5pm until close.
people are real pissy about their money and you do encounter at least a few !#!*@!++ each day.
also, you'd be surprised how stupid some people are. i constantly got asked if we carried anything higher than the $100 bill.
laugh.gif
internship program? that's only for a short time right? did they offer you a full-time job after your intership was over?
yeah the internship program was for a year. once you complete the internship they offer you a full time gig. i didn't take it because i moved off for college. 
ohhhh.

i couldn't work full time though, only part time...
peak time tellers work part time and they usually make a better hourly rate because they might not get full benefits. peak timers make around $13+/hour here in hawaii depending on what bank you work at. remember though, most banks piss test. 

i used to work as a teller for washington mutual when i was in highschool (internship program).
duties consisted of withdrawals/deposits. loan payments. managing their accounts. try to sell bank products like new credit cards or new interest payments on CD's. etc. nothing TOO crazy.
it was chill for the most part but on certain days like the first of the month, the 15th, or fridays it would get pretty hectic. lines would be out the door after 5pm until close.
people are real pissy about their money and you do encounter at least a few !#!*@!++ each day.
also, you'd be surprised how stupid some people are. i constantly got asked if we carried anything higher than the $100 bill.
laugh.gif
internship program? that's only for a short time right? did they offer you a full-time job after your intership was over?
yeah the internship program was for a year. once you complete the internship they offer you a full time gig. i didn't take it because i moved off for college. 
ohhhh.

i couldn't work full time though, only part time...
peak time tellers work part time and they usually make a better hourly rate because they might not get full benefits. peak timers make around $13+/hour here in hawaii depending on what bank you work at. remember though, most banks piss test. 

I work for Wells Fargo, pay is good.
Tellers HAVE to SELL and meet numbers each quarter. Theres bonuses for meeting sales and bonuses for customer service surveys which have to be PERFECT.
And like said above we do deal with a bunch of BS because some people are horrible and dont manage their accounts properly.
Getting the job isn't hard no degrees needed at all you just gotta be confident and stand out.
And yesssss meeting business owners is really cool some are nice and hook it up with all kinds of things.
One of our business customers is a strip club owner he's cool AF and has invited me over many times.

I work for Wells Fargo, pay is good.
Tellers HAVE to SELL and meet numbers each quarter. Theres bonuses for meeting sales and bonuses for customer service surveys which have to be PERFECT.
And like said above we do deal with a bunch of BS because some people are horrible and dont manage their accounts properly.
Getting the job isn't hard no degrees needed at all you just gotta be confident and stand out.
And yesssss meeting business owners is really cool some are nice and hook it up with all kinds of things.
One of our business customers is a strip club owner he's cool AF and has invited me over many times.

Im a Teller at Citibank. Started me out at 12.50 per hour, plus quarterly bonuses. If you exceed your goal, $2k bonus is very likely. It is very good paying job if your a student in college or something but not full time career nonsense. Things customers ask the most:
-can i deposit money into my BofA account here?
-Do you have a $500 dollar bill?
-Can I use my BofA debit card here to pay bills?

Im a Teller at Citibank. Started me out at 12.50 per hour, plus quarterly bonuses. If you exceed your goal, $2k bonus is very likely. It is very good paying job if your a student in college or something but not full time career nonsense. Things customers ask the most:
-can i deposit money into my BofA account here?
-Do you have a $500 dollar bill?
-Can I use my BofA debit card here to pay bills?

Do they really push you guys to be super nice to customers? I never actually went to my bank but had to recently a couple times and everyone is really nice, even the other customers were nice.

Do they really push you guys to be super nice to customers? I never actually went to my bank but had to recently a couple times and everyone is really nice, even the other customers were nice.

i did it for 5 years (3 of those years part time) at BoA. when i was full time they had me as teller supervisor. i loved it bc i knew like 80% of our customers by name. you def get the hookup (clubs, food, car maintentaince, yardwork, etc). pay sucked though but benefits were amazing. i would say the hardest part of the job was managing the women teller. DRAMA. i had mad fun tho during my part time days bc i worked at the campus BoA and majority of customers were college students. i did get robbed at gunpoint nov 1 2002. worse day of my life.

i did it for 5 years (3 of those years part time) at BoA. when i was full time they had me as teller supervisor. i loved it bc i knew like 80% of our customers by name. you def get the hookup (clubs, food, car maintentaince, yardwork, etc). pay sucked though but benefits were amazing. i would say the hardest part of the job was managing the women teller. DRAMA. i had mad fun tho during my part time days bc i worked at the campus BoA and majority of customers were college students. i did get robbed at gunpoint nov 1 2002. worse day of my life.

I was thinking about doing this as alternative to break into finance.

With a BA degree, is it possible to get a shift supervisor/managerial position? Or you, still have to work your way up from teller?

I was thinking about doing this as alternative to break into finance.

With a BA degree, is it possible to get a shift supervisor/managerial position? Or you, still have to work your way up from teller?

You spend all day counting money for people who make 10x more than you. You will see there accounts and realize that being a teller is not whats up.

If that's your thing, more power to you.

VeryAnalytical:
If you have a degree wand want to break into finance, stay AWAY from branch offices. Either apply to the corporate office which is what campus recruiters actually recruit for, or apply to a non financial instituion and work in their finance department. Retail banking is what you paid to go to school for.

You spend all day counting money for people who make 10x more than you. You will see there accounts and realize that being a teller is not whats up.

If that's your thing, more power to you.

VeryAnalytical:
If you have a degree wand want to break into finance, stay AWAY from branch offices. Either apply to the corporate office which is what campus recruiters actually recruit for, or apply to a non financial instituion and work in their finance department. Retail banking is what you paid to go to school for.

i mean from what i hear my boy makes good money. like 900 aweek according to him. he works at some bank in bx. some spanish one, but if thats true sht i wouldnt mind.

i mean from what i hear my boy makes good money. like 900 aweek according to him. he works at some bank in bx. some spanish one, but if thats true sht i wouldnt mind.

Back
Top Bottom