Basketball League Question: All my ref's chime in...

I was called for a turnover in our Rec league championship last week for running out of bounds on the baseline while making a cut. Ref blew the whistle, called me for out of bounds ( I did not have the ball), and explained it at halftime that they call out of bounds to keep the players on the floor only if the player is not making a play on the ball or trying to avoid a three second count. Anyone else heard of this?

I was called for a turnover in our Rec league championship last week for running out of bounds on the baseline while making a cut. Ref blew the whistle, called me for out of bounds ( I did not have the ball), and explained it at halftime that they call out of bounds to keep the players on the floor only if the player is not making a play on the ball or trying to avoid a three second count. Anyone else heard of this?

I'm not a ref, but I've never heard of this. It sounds wrong... what advantage does being out of bounds give you?

The only violation I know of that's similar to what you were called for is when an offensive player attempts to set a screen out of bounds.

I'm not a ref, but I've never heard of this. It sounds wrong... what advantage does being out of bounds give you?

The only violation I know of that's similar to what you were called for is when an offensive player attempts to set a screen out of bounds.

Originally Posted by Blazers21NTNP

Yeah, but I've never heard of what you were called for OP, sounds wrong.

Originally Posted by Blazers21NTNP

Yeah, but I've never heard of what you were called for OP, sounds wrong.

I asked and he told me you can not go out to avoid a screen either (as a defensive player). Real shaky league, used to be pretty good, but the ref's there have lost their minds. I tried to find it anywhere online, but I know this is no violation in high school or college, much less pro's. Just checking if anyone else had heard of this.

I asked and he told me you can not go out to avoid a screen either (as a defensive player). Real shaky league, used to be pretty good, but the ref's there have lost their minds. I tried to find it anywhere online, but I know this is no violation in high school or college, much less pro's. Just checking if anyone else had heard of this.

The ref is correct, at least for HS and NCAA.  You can't stand with one foot on the baseline (out of bounds) to try to draw a charge for someone driving baseline either.  It should be ruled a block.
I never knew either of those rules until I became certified.  Even funnier because while playing in college we were always taught to cut off baseline by actually having our foot on the baseline.  Also, when I used to run off down-screens I always would go out of bounds to help shake the defender before going off the screen.  I don't know if this is something added in the last few years or if it's just never enforced but it is in the rule book.

The ref is correct, at least for HS and NCAA.  You can't stand with one foot on the baseline (out of bounds) to try to draw a charge for someone driving baseline either.  It should be ruled a block.
I never knew either of those rules until I became certified.  Even funnier because while playing in college we were always taught to cut off baseline by actually having our foot on the baseline.  Also, when I used to run off down-screens I always would go out of bounds to help shake the defender before going off the screen.  I don't know if this is something added in the last few years or if it's just never enforced but it is in the rule book.

I played D1 in the mid 90's and like you I had never heard this, including intramurals and Rec leagues all over Dallas/Ft. Worth. I know the refs so I didn't doubt they had seen this enforced, I just had never seen it and never heard of it. ALOT of TO's could be enforced if this rule became widely known. Thanks, ehh.

I played D1 in the mid 90's and like you I had never heard this, including intramurals and Rec leagues all over Dallas/Ft. Worth. I know the refs so I didn't doubt they had seen this enforced, I just had never seen it and never heard of it. ALOT of TO's could be enforced if this rule became widely known. Thanks, ehh.

Originally Posted by ehh

This is definitely true if that's what you mean OP.  But I'm still sort of lost about your question.  You weren't precise enough giving the circumstances, situation, and exact details of what was occurring on the court at that very second.

Originally Posted by ehh

This is definitely true if that's what you mean OP.  But I'm still sort of lost about your question.  You weren't precise enough giving the circumstances, situation, and exact details of what was occurring on the court at that very second.

While giving a cut, so you were in the half court... Were you coming off a screen? Or on the ball side moving? Or were you just freely running around? If it was just running around and the ref saw you outta the corner of his/her eye, then he/she is wrong. If you are coming off the screen and/or engaged in the play then yes when you catch the ball it should be ruled out of bounds.

While giving a cut, so you were in the half court... Were you coming off a screen? Or on the ball side moving? Or were you just freely running around? If it was just running around and the ref saw you outta the corner of his/her eye, then he/she is wrong. If you are coming off the screen and/or engaged in the play then yes when you catch the ball it should be ruled out of bounds.

Sorry guys, here are the whole details. My team was in the halfcourt with the ball. I was on the left wing and cut baseline to the right, going under the post. As I did, right under the basket, I went out of bounds for two steps and came back in. I was then whistled for going out of bounds while playing. I know I see Ray Allen and used to be Reggie do this, I could do it when I played, and in my other leagues it is not called.

Oh, and we lost by 12 in the championship.

Sorry guys, here are the whole details. My team was in the halfcourt with the ball. I was on the left wing and cut baseline to the right, going under the post. As I did, right under the basket, I went out of bounds for two steps and came back in. I was then whistled for going out of bounds while playing. I know I see Ray Allen and used to be Reggie do this, I could do it when I played, and in my other leagues it is not called.

Oh, and we lost by 12 in the championship.

Back
Top Bottom