BBALL Ankle Brace

been thinking about getting ankle braces myself though i don't have any ankle problems. it's a decision between ASOs or McDavids but i would mostlikely go with ASOs.

Originally Posted by KICKINHEADZ1010

Trying to get an ankle brace...

Recommendations NT brethrens?
Just go without. I wore McDavid and ASO over a 10 yr. time span on my left ankle after I first sprained it in a high school game coming down on aguy's foot. After 10 yrs of always wearing an ankle brace on my left foot, I developed a nasty heel spur. Feels like someone is jabbing a knife in yourheel whenever you jump. I've been dealing with this over the last 3 yrs. It is very annoying. The long-term solution is getting your foot fileted,cutting your achilles and then grinding the spur which may or may not come back over time. All in all about a 1 yr. recovery and it will never likely be thesame again.

Unless you have really weak ankle's not sure a brace will help much, if you land on someone's foot you are screwed no matter what. If you need abrace, McDavid sells one that has a plastic outer and there is also an Active Ankle brace. Neither of these will rub on your Achilles insertion.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by fersnash

Originally Posted by KICKINHEADZ1010

Trying to get an ankle brace...

Recommendations NT brethrens?
Just go without. I wore McDavid and ASO over a 10 yr. time span on my left ankle after I first sprained it in a high school game coming down on a guy's foot. After 10 yrs of always wearing an ankle brace on my left foot, I developed a nasty heel spur. Feels like someone is jabbing a knife in your heel whenever you jump. I've been dealing with this over the last 3 yrs. It is very annoying. The long-term solution is getting your foot fileted, cutting your achilles and then grinding the spur which may or may not come back over time. All in all about a 1 yr. recovery and it will never likely be the same again.

Unless you have really weak ankle's not sure a brace will help much, if you land on someone's foot you are screwed no matter what. If you need a brace, McDavid sells one that has a plastic outer and there is also an Active Ankle brace. Neither of these will rub on your Achilles insertion.

Good luck.
Thanks for your words.

I, too, sprained my ankle pretty badly 1+ year ago and I've been slow getting to my old form.

I'm assuming you've been dealing with an orthopedist or podiatrist.....what exactly is it about ankle braces that cause the spur?

get a hinged brace, wear it with lowtops (hinged braces tend to be bulkier above the ankle, so they make mids fit funny). you can run and jump way better thanwith a laceup/strap brace, and it offers even more protection vs rollover too.

Yeah I have seen the ortho doc. Typically they don't want anything to do with the surgery unless there is a compelling reason. I don't want thesurgery until it is unbearable. Percy Harvin had the surgery last year and bounced back nicely. Not so much with Larry Bird.

My theory is the typical ankle brace has a seem along the back of the brace where the cut out for your heel is. This seem is on the McDavid for sure andlesser degree the ASO. It is right where the achilles inserts. When you lace up the brace and pull it tight, the brace locks down all over your footincluding this back portion and rubs right at the insertional point. At the same time, your achilles is trying to stretch as your run and jump. I justbelieve over time that this caused the spur. I played with the McDavid brace 4-5 days a week for 5yrs in college and then 3-4 times per week after college for3-4 years. Eventually it all added up and now I have this annoying spur. It was under control from physical therapy and then doing exercises on my own, but Irecently aggreviated it again snowboarding.

If you are still playing competitively for a school, get the trainer to tape you. If you are playing on a recreational basis go with that hinged brace. McDavid makes one as does Active ankle. They are bulky but your avoid the rubbing achilles issue.

I recommend McDavid. Then, develop the muscles by your ankles so you won't have to wear them in the long run. Kobe III's are the best ankle braces!

ASO braces are really good. Get the ones that you have to lace up. If you sprained an ankle before I would always wear a brace on that ankle.

i like the neoprene sleeves personally. they get the ankles warm, loose, and flexible while still allowing movement. the lace-up braces just restrict movementso when you do tip a little you can't catch yourself and end up with a minor sprain that could have very well been avoided.

i like the donjoy rocketsoc ankle braces because they have a neoprene version (compression, heat retention, allows movement) as well as a drytex version (justlike neoprene but more breathable. great for people whose skin gets aggravated by neoprene).

as someone else said though, your best option is to get one of those ppt bands by attack athletics that you can find on eastbay. that comes with a resistanceband as well as a workout program to help rehab injured ankles and to strengthen your ankle to help prevent injury.

I've been wearing McDavid for 3 years. They do the job and give you consistent support throughout an entire game. Tape however gives you more of a naturalmovement in your ankles. I just started taping my ankles more often, rather than using braces though. Braces or tape, you're good either way.

Going without an ankle brace is better than having one. It weakens your ankle. It happened to me and I tore some ligaments.

i agree
i think there's a stage where the ankle brace/tape is needed
just becaus of hte mental factor, and the protection does help
but then when your soreness goes away you should steer awy from the braces
i went a whole season in braces and i felt too weak without them to play
so i started doing workouts without the braces, and only had them during games
i continued to workout and play without braces and my ankles just got stronger
and i just got away from them.... i'm strong and confident enough
now i just play in lows---> though that has nothing to do with ankle sprains

on another note, if needed, ASOs are great

Originally Posted by fersnash

Yeah I have seen the ortho doc. Typically they don't want anything to do with the surgery unless there is a compelling reason. I don't want the surgery until it is unbearable. Percy Harvin had the surgery last year and bounced back nicely. Not so much with Larry Bird.

My theory is the typical ankle brace has a seem along the back of the brace where the cut out for your heel is. This seem is on the McDavid for sure and lesser degree the ASO. It is right where the achilles inserts. When you lace up the brace and pull it tight, the brace locks down all over your foot including this back portion and rubs right at the insertional point. At the same time, your achilles is trying to stretch as your run and jump. I just believe over time that this caused the spur. I played with the McDavid brace 4-5 days a week for 5yrs in college and then 3-4 times per week after college for 3-4 years. Eventually it all added up and now I have this annoying spur. It was under control from physical therapy and then doing exercises on my own, but I recently aggreviated it again snowboarding.

If you are still playing competitively for a school, get the trainer to tape you. If you are playing on a recreational basis go with that hinged brace. McDavid makes one as does Active ankle. They are bulky but your avoid the rubbing achilles issue.
I'm a kinesiology major and i recently studied the foot and a heel spur is myositis ossificans in your heel. This develops after repeatedlybruising or constant pounding to the area over a long period of time. So if you really did play 4-5 days a week for 5 years and 3-4 times for 3-4 years withouttaking any breaks to let your feet chill for weeks or so, then thats how your
heel spur developed and not so much the fault of the brace (i'm not saying the brace had nothing to do with it but that your heel spur is basicallyinevitable with your regimen).
Even NBA players take about 2 to 5 weeks, most likey more, off from basketball and running and jumping. Instead, they ride stationary bikes and lift weights inorder give their joints a rest. If an NBA player played basketball 4-5 days a week for 5 years and 3-4 times for 3-4 years straight with no breaks, theircareers would be shot too, with either a heel spur or any other stress injury.

Back
Top Bottom