Beer > Hard Liquor/mixed drinks...who's with me on this?

This is a spin-off of the other thread on taste of beer....

When I was younger, it was all about the hard liquor and mixed drinks. When I first started drinking beer, I didn't like the taste at all. As the days,months, years went on I grew to enjoy beer. I'm in my late 20's now, and I'm at the point that I hardly ever drink anything mixed w. hard liquor. It's all about drinking a nice cold beer when the opportunity presents itself. Trying different ales, seasonal brews, beers from different countries etcis fun to me....trust me, hard liquor was the way to go when I was younger, but IMO when it comes to drinks now, there is nothing better than finding a GREATbeer.

So in comparison to having a mixed drink, is a beer your #1 option?

I feel you. Right now, I'm only 21, so I'm all about the hard liquor and cocktails too. Then again, I only drink to get very drunk. I think as I getolder though and my partying ways slowly fade away, there won't be as much of a need for hard liquor.

Do you think your decrease in hard liquor was because you got older and now aren't getting drunk as much? Or is it just that you like trying differentbeers now?

Depends on the day.

I get down with both on the regular. It also depends on my mood.

Im goin with "equally appreciated".

Nope. Can't stomach the taste of beer. I stick to whiskey, no other type of liquor does the job.
pimp.gif

I'm in my mid twenties, and I drink beer more out of leisure than anything else. Like I'm sitting around the house, or hanging out with friends. Onlytime hard liquor comes into play now is if I'm chasing women, or its time to get to business.

Originally Posted by oo206oo

Depends on the day.

co-sign

Beer since day 1..plus having a bad experience with hard liquor helped me stick to beer

Originally Posted by pdouly33

I feel you. Right now, I'm only 21, so I'm all about the hard liquor and cocktails too. Then again, I only drink to get very drunk. I think as I get older though and my partying ways slowly fade away, there won't be as much of a need for hard liquor.

Do you think your decrease in hard liquor was because you got older and now aren't getting drunk as much? Or is it just that you like trying different beers now?
I think that might have something to do with it...that's honestly a good question. Of course in college and what not there was a hugeemphasis on getting drunk, and there was no faster way than taking a few shots etc to get you feelin' nice.....

I'm more of a social drinker now, and don't get sloppy like back in the day when I would drink hard liquor. I mean, I actually APPRECIATE beer...notjust drink it to get drunk (if that makes any sense).

I don't do mixed drinks. I try not to *@$+ with Sugar + Alcohol.

Straight Tequila
Vodka
Scotch

Are all good money in my book. And no better or worse than a fine brew.

I'm 21 and I prefer beer.
9/10 if I am paying for myself it'll be a beer.

Depends on the day.

100% agree although I am attempting to be on a beer hiatus from now til the end of the year. Gettin married in Feb '10 and I need to slimdown and tone up so I unfortunately have to cut out those beloved calories out of my daily intake. I'm too much of a boozehound to give up alcoholcompletely so I have to up the alcohol/calorie ratio... sheesh, I should kick my own +!! for sounding like such a fairy.

I'm kinda with illphillip on this one. I try to stay away from the mixed drinks (sugar/sweetener + alcohol) as much as possible. In my advanced age, mybody just cant recover like it used to when I go hard with mixed drinks. The only exception I make is jack and diet coke and a crown and ginger ale every oncein a blue moon. Over time I have kinda settled on a handful of go-to drinks depending on the mood I am in. Its either jameson/tullamore dew/makers/chivas +rocks, or I'll go with a dirty vodka martini + extra olives. The one liquor I just cant drink is Gin. I never acquired the taste for it and I think it isthe most foul drink on the planet.

sidenote. Anyone drink Frenet?

fernet-branca.jpg

I was recently turned onto this by someone. It is definitely an acquired taste as it has a very herby/floral flavor and aroma to it. I like to sip on itafter a big meal as it is supposed to be a digestif. It's a bit harder to come by, I don't know if they have it at most supermarkets (I get it at thisItalian deli/market by my place) but if you can find it you might wanna give it a shot.

Try this gin. Its my new favorite. If you dont like it, then ill concede that you'll probably never like gin, period.

Hendrick%27s%20bottle%20%20290107.JPG

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by pdouly33

I feel you. Right now, I'm only 21, so I'm all about the hard liquor and cocktails too. Then again, I only drink to get very drunk. I think as I get older though and my partying ways slowly fade away, there won't be as much of a need for hard liquor.

Do you think your decrease in hard liquor was because you got older and now aren't getting drunk as much? Or is it just that you like trying different beers now?
I think that might have something to do with it...that's honestly a good question. Of course in college and what not there was a huge emphasis on getting drunk, and there was no faster way than taking a few shots etc to get you feelin' nice.....

I'm more of a social drinker now, and don't get sloppy like back in the day when I would drink hard liquor. I mean, I actually APPRECIATE beer...not just drink it to get drunk (if that makes any sense).
It definitely makes sense. I've actually been out of college for a year so I don't drink that nasty college beer anymore.
sick.gif

Of course, now that I'm out of college, I also avoid alcohol Sunday-Thursday and when I do drink, it's to get drunk (or else I don't see the point
ohwell.gif
). That's probably why I love the hard alcohol...when I do drinknow, I want to make it an event, and I feel the need to get drunk in order to make it worthwhile.

I still do drink beer occasionally. I was at Birreria Paradiso last week and treated myself to what turned out to be an amazing Belgian ale - Scotch Silly. Youshould definitely look into it...8% ABV and it's absolutely delicious.

Hendrick's is the only gin I like on the rocks. I'm not a big fan of gin martinis but I like the slightly sweet taste. I just had one this pastweekend!

My preference between beer and liquor has never changed...my drinking habits, however, have altered dramatically.

Depends on the day.

pimp.gif
sums up my thoughts on the matter

mixed drinks are the devil if you haven't tested your tolerance.

If I'm poor...beer...if I just got paid...mixed drinks.

Back
Top Bottom