Best credit card for a college student with pretty good credit?

I'm looking to get a credit card, not something I'll use all the time, just for small purchases every now and then to boost my credit score a bit. Doall credit card companies offer pretty much the same rates for students like me? Or do you guys know of any specific ones that offer the bestrates/rewards/etc? Any help appreciated, thanks

Different companies have different rates, but they're pretty much in the same range. I had a Clout credit card, and I did pretty well with it [until I wenton a spendin' spree...
smh.gif
] If/when you get one, be responsible with it.

amex blue - no fee and when you leave it at a bar or someone steals it, amex is the best at dealing with fraudulent charges

I would say that if you were to get a first time card, get one that has a smaller available credit line.

I have an account with a 10k line, but the one I mostly use is the 1k line Alaskan Airlines card, this way I know that I can always pay the bills and at thesame time limits how much I can spend.

Do you already have a credit card of any kind, or any loans? If no you won't have "good" credit. Most companies offer a student credit card, butif it's your 1st your most likely will be paying a high interest rate. Chase offers good rewards, but I'm not sure how their % is for 1st time cardowners.

dkjordan23 wrote:
I'm looking to get a credit card, not something I'll use all the time, just for small purchases every now and then to boost my credit score a bit.

This is a good idea and I've encouraged my nephews to do the same thing. Have a credit card. Use it sparingly. And always, ALWAYS,ALWAYS pay the bill in full when it's due. This is the easiest way to establish good credit and it will raise your credit score overtime. Carry a balance? Miss a few payments? Go shoot yourself because AIDS is easier to get rid of than a bad credit score.

DeadsetAce wrote:
amex blue - no fee and when you leave it at a bar or someone steals it, amex is the best at dealing with fraudulent charges
I'm a fan of AMEX Blue Cash. You get cash once a year depending on your spending patterns and the amount is greater than any other card thatI know of.

YuraS718 wrote:
Most companies offer a student credit card, but if it's your 1st your most likely will be paying a high interest rate.
True. However, if you don't carry a balance this doesn't affect you. (You only pay interest on what you don't pay off at the end ofthe month.) You have to be the judge here. Can you handle not spending money you don't have? Can you pay the bill on time every month? If not, then whyare you getting a credit card?

dont +@!# with BOA platinum student cards

they gave me one and i didnt even want it

paying for it (literally) today

DO NOT get any of the cards that come with a free hat, shirt, fast food, etc! You can guarantee that hat will cost you several thousand dollars over thelifetime of the card. If you want a "good" card to build credit, get the highest limit you can and shred it as soon as it arrives in the mail.

Back
Top Bottom