best four franchises in nba history

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Other than the Lakers and Celtics, aren't the Pistons the only franchise to win a championship on multiple occasions.. I mean, like with a brand new team.. Both the Bulls and the Spurs won more championships, but they had the same player/s as the backbone of those championships.

Good point.

It's the Celtics and Lakers by far but after that it gets cloudly. I really don't see how the Spurs can be mentioned in this debate. Theirchampionships came from the same era with same star player and there was never a back to back victory.

The only reason the Bulls are even being mentioned in this topic is because of Jordan. But you cannot possibly have them as one of the greatest franchises inhistory. When MJ left, they became irrelevant. Hell, even people from Chicago will never put them over the Cubs and the Bears.

Lakers SHOULD be the greatest, in front of the Celtics. They were the first NBA dynasty when they were in Minneapolis and they won in EVERY decade (50's topresent). The Celtics have more titles, but as far as consistently having winning records in the regular season, playoff appearances, and titles in thedivision, conference, and league level, LAKERS all the way
pimp.gif

Peep this:

[table][tr][td]Championships[/td] [td]NBL: 1 (1948)
BAA/NBA: 14 (1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Conference titles[/td] [td]29 (1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1959, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1972, 1973, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Division titles[/td] [td]NBL: 1 (1948)
NBA: 28 (1950, 1951, 1953, 1954, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1966, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1977, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2008)[/td] [/tr][/table]Pistons and Spurs should round out the Top 4. You guys might be forgetting that even though they didn't win a chip in the 90's, San Antonio wasconsistently good with David Robinson. Although the Houston Rockets shouldn't be mentioned as one of the greatest, they should at least have an honorablemention because they were good in the 80s as well as the 90s.

The Bulls get the nod because of 6 chips in the 90s (could have been 8 in a row if his Airness didnt "retire"), The Bulls get the nod because of the"Jordan Era", The Bulls get the nod because of a 72 win season (only team to ever win 70 games)...Maybe they dont have the history of the Lakers orCelts but what ive listed is enough to warrant the Bulls being one of the top franchises.

Originally Posted by lawdog1

Originally Posted by TheKingOfVa

Celtics, Lakers, Bulls, and Pistons

Not sure how you can but the Spurs up there when their championship teams would get crushed by past Laker, Celtics, Bulls, and Pistons championship teams. Plus the Spurs have never really beat any great teams on the way to the finals or in the finals besides the Lakers and have only be good during this decade. The Celtics and Lakers have been good every decade. The Pistons two decades. And the Bulls just the 90's but they won 6 out of 10 Championships in that era.

The Showtime Lakers went through the 80's Celtics, 76ers, Suns, Spurs etc... The Celtics went through the Showtime Lakers, Dr. J and Moses 76ers, Nique's Hawks, Bernard Kings Knicks, Bad Boy Pistons, etc...

The Bulls went through Magic's fading Lakers, Drexler and the Blazers, Barkely/KJ and the Suns, GP and Kemp's Sonics, young Shaq and Penny's Magic, Reggie Millers Pacers, Ewing's Knicks, Stockton and Malone Jazz, etc...

Pistons went through the Showtime Lakers, Bird's Celtics, Jordan's Bulls, Sidney Moncrief's Bucks, Barkley's 76ers, Bernard King's Knicks, and The Blazers. Then the new era Pistons went through the Lakers with 4 Hall Of Famers.

The Spurs in a lock out year went through the young Lakers, The Blazers with Rasheed, and the 8th seeded Knicks minus Patrick Ewing.

02-03 Championship Run they beat the Marbury lead Suns, the Shaq and Kobe Lakers, The old Big 3 Mavs, and beat the J Kidd Nets in 6 games.

In the 04-05 Run they smashed the Nuggets, the Ray Allen/Rashard Lewis Sonics in 6 games, the Steve Nash Suns, then beat the new era Pistons in 7 games.

In the 06-07 Run the Spurs once again beat the Nuggets this time Iverson was on the team, they beat the Suns, they then smashed the Boozer/Williams Jazz in 5 games, and swept the Cavs who are probably the worst team to ever make it to the NBA finals.

The Spurs have did a great thing in this era but that isn't enough for them to be in the top 4 franchises of all-time.

I pretty much agree with everything you're saying, but as a Laker fan, I can't let the statement I highlighted slide. The Pistons beat a Laker team without Magic Johnson or Byron Scott, so they didn't really go through the Showtime Lakers. I personally think that both the Bad Boy Pistons and the current Pistons are a bit overrated. Nevertheless, I probably still would put the Pistons ahead of the Spurs in terms of all time great franchises.

Your right but the Pistons were also a bad call from beating the Lakers in game 7 the year before that and setting up a 3 peat.

everyone thats saying the bulls shouldn't be on here are failing to give other teams that should. the post is for the FOUR best franchises in NBA history.not baseball.. not top TWO (which would be the celtics and lakers).. but top FOUR.. it's def. lakers, celtics, bulls, knicks

No way the Knicks are a better franchise than Detroit! Detroit will never fall off like the NBDL Knicks! We been running the East for a half decade!

but top FOUR.. it's def. lakers, celtics, bulls, knicks
Please enlighten us on what makes the Knicks any different than say even the Philadelphia Sixers.

^^ ok maybe i shouldn't have said "def." the knicks.. i was just making a case for the bulls.. im not one to defend the knicks.. i just pickedthem as the 4th given the fact that they're a flagship of the league and one of the most recognizable sports franchises in the world..

i was just trying to say that the bulls should be top 4.

NBA Finals history is pretty sad on how few teams have won. Everything past the Celtics and Lakers is opinion.

Pistons won with 2 different eras, but just barely with only 1 chip on the current era. On the other hand they of course they could have had the 3peat if notfor the phantom foul.

Spurs, yes they only won in one era, but isn't Duncan the only Spur to be on each team?

You could also argue that every championship the Lakers, Celtics, or Pistons won in the 80s and 90s should count more because they each had to beat each otherto get there. 3 Dynasty-caliber teams going on at the same time.

Originally Posted by G00NIE GOO GOO

Pistons and Spurs should round out the Top 4. You guys might be forgetting that even though they didn't win a chip in the 90's, San Antonio was consistently good with David Robinson. Although the Houston Rockets shouldn't be mentioned as one of the greatest, they should at least have an honorable mention because they were good in the 80s as well as the 90s.

First of all, the Spurs did win in the 90s and second of all, there is no way the Rockets should even be in this equation. They were decent in the 80s butnever made it over the hump and they won their titles when the best player was on hiatus.

If "best" meaning most successful in history, Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, Bulls. with Pistons close behind

The Bulls were only good during the 90's. Before the 90's they were irrelavent and post-MJ era their irrelavent. For people to consider them a top 3franchise is rediculous.

Top 3-4 team in NBA history......absolutely, but a top 3-4 franchise hell no

They Bulls have more championships then the but over the years the Pistons have had much better teams and players. How about the 76ers? Great players 4different MVP's (Wilt, Moses, Julius and AI) and better teams spread out over time opposed to just one great era.

Celtics/Lakers
Lakers/Celtics
Pistons
76ers

Back
Top Bottom