Best Methods to Take Notes for Class/Learn the Material?

Originally Posted by VietStar

Which way helps YOU the most lol? You mentioned taking notes by laptop and taking notes by reading textbook. So which method do you prefer?

For me, I take everything off my mind and only focus on the subject/topic being taught with attentive attention in class...then jot down the most important things. When I go home, I review the lesson that was taught in class by reading the lesson/chapter in the textbook to see if I missed out on anything.

But the most important is to not doze off while taking notes.

Writing the notes in class then reading the chapter right after you get home...I've actually never tried that before.

my classes are all given in powerpoint presentation. i make it a point to not print out the slides. i sit in class and zone out on the slides and write down everything i see while im listening to the teacher talk. I also write down important things that i hear the teacher say. This allows me to learn the powerpoint slides and get the relevant information.

when reviewing my notes, i look over notes and whatever i feel sketchy about, i read in the book. This method saves me from having to read the textbook. It's worked out so far, but i think im starting to burn out/ not pay attention in class cuz it gets boring.

try looking online to find a learning styles test. I'm auditory/kinesthetic. The act of hearing and writing down the notes cements the information in my mind. after you figure out your style, figure out how you can best take notes.

my classes are all given in powerpoint presentation. i make it a point to not print out the slides. i sit in class and zone out on the slides and write down everything i see while im listening to the teacher talk. I also write down important things that i hear the teacher say. This allows me to learn the powerpoint slides and get the relevant information.

when reviewing my notes, i look over notes and whatever i feel sketchy about, i read in the book. This method saves me from having to read the textbook. It's worked out so far, but i think im starting to burn out/ not pay attention in class cuz it gets boring.

try looking online to find a learning styles test. I'm auditory/kinesthetic. The act of hearing and writing down the notes cements the information in my mind. after you figure out your style, figure out how you can best take notes.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Well at Queens College and in the presence of Asian girls who realize I am from Ithaca taking a year off of school by going to school for a year, I find that the best way to take notes is to announce my superiority and scare the instructor into quickly providing me the relevant points. Then, I write in red ink (of course) and whisper repeatedly to myself that, yes, I truly am the greatest.

Made my day
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Well at Queens College and in the presence of Asian girls who realize I am from Ithaca taking a year off of school by going to school for a year, I find that the best way to take notes is to announce my superiority and scare the instructor into quickly providing me the relevant points. Then, I write in red ink (of course) and whisper repeatedly to myself that, yes, I truly am the greatest.

Made my day
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

Here are two links that might help LINK1, LINK2

laugh.gif
Did you pick a link that mentions "The Cornell Method" because you saw my other threads?

Edit: I wonder if The Cornell Method actually works, though?
nerd.gif
I've NEVER seen anyone take notes like that before...

laugh.gif
Did you pick a link that mentions "The Cornell Method" because you saw my other threads?

Edit: I wonder if The Cornell Method actually works, though?
nerd.gif
I've NEVER seen anyone take notes like that before...

Originally Posted by Moderate Gatsby

laugh.gif
Nah, I did it because I remembered lifehacker had done articles on note taking so I did a Google search. I had no idea you posted about it.

laugh.gif
Nah, I did it because I remembered lifehacker had done articles on note taking so I did a Google search. I had no idea you posted about it.

I don't take notes, I read from multiple sources (main text/many review books/ wikipedia) till I get a good sense of the main concepts and some important details then I do practive problems. This may only work for certain courses tho.

Writing used to help me with active memory but I gave up on it when I realized the sheer volume of stuff I needed to write down and memorize.

I don't take notes, I read from multiple sources (main text/many review books/ wikipedia) till I get a good sense of the main concepts and some important details then I do practive problems. This may only work for certain courses tho.

Writing used to help me with active memory but I gave up on it when I realized the sheer volume of stuff I needed to write down and memorize.

i would hand write notes in class and then i would proceed to type up the notes. makes it easier to read. i always did it at the end of every week., nothing worse than studying for an exam and not being able to read what I wrote.

i would hand write notes in class and then i would proceed to type up the notes. makes it easier to read. i always did it at the end of every week., nothing worse than studying for an exam and not being able to read what I wrote.

I stopped taking notes and just wrote down things I found interesting.
If the class followed the book I would bring the book to class and highlight passages that were covered in class.

Taking notes just distracted me from actually paying attention to the material being presented.

If you classes aren't from the book just write down the topic and key points then on your own time look them up.

Different methods work for different people. Different notes styles work for different subjects and teaching styles.

Learn to know what you are capable of and not about what you are doing. That is, don't focus so much on how to learn as much as what to learn.

If the class followed the book I would bring the book to class and highlight passages that were covered in class.

Taking notes just distracted me from actually paying attention to the material being presented.

If you classes aren't from the book just write down the topic and key points then on your own time look them up.

Different methods work for different people. Different notes styles work for different subjects and teaching styles.

Learn to know what you are capable of and not about what you are doing. That is, don't focus so much on how to learn as much as what to learn.

Originally Posted by tdrizzle

laugh.gif
What if you didn't find anything interesting for the whole semester?

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Then I didn't take any notes. Serious. I use less than 25 pages of notes for a whole year of school. 

I haven't changed up my note taking method.
It's usually pretty decent, then wanes throughout the semester. 
laugh.gif

BUT I try to listen to lectures and write things not found on slides or the book (if I've done any readings). I find listening to the lecture and noting interesting points much more valuable than trying to note everything an instructor might write down..3

Math with examples and proofs is much different -- more often it's trying to listen and frantically writing it down to figure out later and make notes of what the prof said around his example.

I'm considering trying to take elements of the Cornell Method for note taking into my notes this semester. It looks interesting. 

laugh.gif
Then I didn't take any notes. Serious. I use less than 25 pages of notes for a whole year of school. 

I haven't changed up my note taking method.
It's usually pretty decent, then wanes throughout the semester. 
laugh.gif

BUT I try to listen to lectures and write things not found on slides or the book (if I've done any readings). I find listening to the lecture and noting interesting points much more valuable than trying to note everything an instructor might write down..3

Math with examples and proofs is much different -- more often it's trying to listen and frantically writing it down to figure out later and make notes of what the prof said around his example.

I'm considering trying to take elements of the Cornell Method for note taking into my notes this semester. It looks interesting. 

Back
Top Bottom