Big Ten Expansion update

Notre Dame Rutgers Nebraska and Missouri got offers to join the big ten...real happy Syracuse wasn't, Supposedly if ND says no they will (for the moment) hold at 14.  If ND says yes, they will invite one more school for 16.

Hopefully Mizzou will be packing their bags and heading to the Big 10.

Two different reports out there. Everyone is basically citing the 810 AM Sports Station in Kansas City because they first posted about. I have yet to see any other kind of news source come out and say the same thing.

This is the original source: http://810whb.com/article/3527

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Big Ten makes initial offer to Big 12 pair[/h2]
The Big Ten Conference has extended initial offers to join the league to four universities including Missouri and Nebraska from the Big 12, according to multiple sources close to the negotiations. 

While nothing can be approved until the Big Ten presidents and chancellors meet the first week of June in Chicago, the league has informed the two Big 12 schools, Notre Dame and Rutgers that it would like to have them join. It is not yet clear whether the Big Ten will expand to 14 or 16 teams but sources indicated Missouri and Nebraska are invited in either scenario.  Notre Dame has repeatedly declined the opportunity to join the Big Ten.  If Notre Dame remains independent, Rutgers would be the 14th team.  The Big Ten would then decide whether to stop at 14 or extend offers to two other schools.  If Notre Dame joins, sources say an offer will be extended to one other school making it a 16-team league.

In order for the University of Missouri to join the Big Ten, the Missouri Board of Regents will still have to approve the move.  Sources close to the governing body say the Big Ten has told officials that Mizzou could add $1.3 million per month in revenue to the lucrative Big Ten Television Network.  The Big Ten Network is currently offered on basic cable to very few of over 7 million residents living in Missouri television markets and adding it throughout the state will be a windfall for the conference.

Big Ten representatives have also told Missouri officials they would like to have the entire expansion process wrapped up this summer with a formal announcement coming no later than July. 

The University of Missouri is currently under contract with the Big 12 conference and will have to pay a stiff penalty to leave the Big 12.  The Big 12 charter states any member will lose between 50 and 100 percent of its shared annual revenue depending on the length of notice any school gives.  According to published reports, Missouri receives around $9 million annually in shared football revenue from the Big 12.  According to sources, it seems likely Missouri would give one- year notice.   It is projected that Missouri's football revenues would increase by $10 million or more per year when it joins the Big Ten versus what it currently receives in the Big 12.

And here are the denials: http://www.kansascity.com...discuss-big-ten-but.html

[h1][/h1]
[h1]MU officials discuss Big Ten, but no offer has been made[/h1]
[h4]By MIKE DeARMOND[/h4]

Missouri officials have begun internal discussions about the Big Ten Conference, The Kansas City Star has learned, although MU has not received an offer to join the Big Ten.

An Internet report Monday said the Big Ten has extended initial offers to four schools, including Missouri and Nebraska, to join the conference. But a source long involved in Missouri athletics told The Star that the Big Ten has made no such offer.

“There’s nothing there at all,

Big 10 is going to change CFB man. Making things THAT much tougher for UM football rebuilding stage! SMh

you know ND aint giving up that NBC money and stick to the big east in BBall. syracuse better not go anywhere. they belong in the big East.

and the Raiding of the Big East begins again

if i was the Big 10, i would invite, Mizzou, Nebraska, Cincy & Pitt.

Cincy & Pitt are easily the top 2 teams in the past years, and would compete better instead of Rutgers.

but i really hope that the big east stays intact.

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by 23MCpizzle23

PAC 10 better get off they #!% and make some moves if this happens...
If this whole "Super-Conference" talk comes to fruition, the best bet is to let the Big Ten snag all these schools.

The Pac 10 has been rumored to get Utah and Colorado for a long time.  I just don't see the a revenue jump in those two markets.

If the Big XII falls apart, I'm sure that the Pac 10 will definitely try to get Texas and Texas A&M on board, that's a home run

The Pac 10 is currently in talks with the Big XII about several partnerships in various sports, but nothing about expansion....yet

Originally Posted by BostonThreeParty

and the Raiding of the Big East begins again

if i was the Big 10, i would invite, Mizzou, Nebraska, Cincy & Pitt.

Cincy & Pitt are easily the top 2 teams in the past years, and would compete better instead of Rutgers.

but i really hope that the big east stays intact.
Yeah the Big East is getting back on its feet still in my opinion. They don't need this right now. I would like to see Cincy play OSU yearly.

Originally Posted by zs05wc

I really don't think ND will join.
They are too damn stubborn and arrogant even though they don't have the pull that they used to.

How much longer will NBC pony up to showcase Notre Dame?

Notre Dame can't bank on that forever, especially with all these rumors of "Super Conferences".  CFB is no longer Independent friendly.  All the Independent powerhouses of the past (Penn State, Miami, etc) saw the writing on the wall.

I don't think being Independent has much pull with recruits either.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by zs05wc

I really don't think ND will join.
They are too damn stubborn and arrogant even though they don't have the pull that they used to.

How much longer will NBC pony up to showcase Notre Dame?

Notre Dame can't bank on that forever, especially with all these rumors of "Super Conferences".  CFB is no longer Independent friendly.  All the Independent powerhouses of the past (Penn State, Miami, etc) saw the writing on the wall.

I don't think being Independent has much pull with recruits either.
Ok, but as long as NBC continues to pay Notre Dame, what is the incentive to join? NBC extended their deal even when they had their lowest ratings since they first began to broadcast their games. If the television deal falls through, then joining a conference is something to consider, but as long as the team is getting money from NBC and puts themselves in a position to go to the BCS then I don't see the point.

Originally Posted by JCH3

Hopefully Mizzou will be packing their bags and heading to the Big 10.

huh? what! no!!

going to the big 10 would be a mistake. i dont wanna be a part of that wack %*! conf. i like the big 12 much, MUCH more.

The big 12 and PAC 10 have been in talks for weeks about a network. That's the big 12 only hope to keep teams

Ironman I can't look it up now cause I'm on my phone but most feel adding those tv markets would be a plus for the PAC10

Andy Katz said some darkhorse or some back up (what ever you want to call them) schools to join are Maryland, Georgia Tech and Vanderbilt.

Back
Top Bottom